What do you think of using a bore snake to clean your barrel?

I tried one last week and it sure is easy. However, am I better off using the old "patch, brush and rod" technique? I was reading about bore snakes on the Shotgunworld forum and now I'm more confused than ever!

If you like the bore snake, have you ever had it get stuck? Do you think it would be a good idea to put some cleaner/lube in the barrel, at the receiver end, before starting the bore snake, to aid cleaning and reduce the chance of the snake getting stuck? Do you tie cord to the end of the snake, just in case the factory cord breaks, so you can reverse the cord and pull it out through the receiver if necessary?

WJ

Edited by WarriorJudge
What do you think of using a bore snake to clean your barrel?

I tried one last week and it sure is easy. However, am I better off using the old "patch, brush and rod" technique? I was reading about bore snakes on the Shotgunworld forum and now I'm more confused than ever!

If you like the bore snake, have you ever had it get stuck? Do you think it would be a good idea to put some cleaner/lube in the barrel, at the receiver end, before starting the bore snake, to aid cleaning and reduce the chance of the snake getting stuck? Do you tie cord to the end of the snake, just in case the factory cord breaks, so you can reverse the cord and pull it out through the receiver if necessary?

WJ

I use them in every rifle and pistol I have. :victory: Occasionally I wil use hoppes#9 and use patches but for the most part I use a foaming bore scrubber, let it sit the required amount of time and run the snake through it from the chamber out. Its long enough that you can grab either end if the rope breaks. works greeat. All my barrels are bright and shiny when i"m done. I have used hoppes after the snake to check cleaning, but the patches usually are clean.

I love these things and you don't have to worry about dinging up the end of the barrel on your rifles.

Boresnakes are AWESOME, but remember that your bore can only get as clean as the boresnake is. Pulling a filthy boresnake through your barrel may break up fouling, but it won't do much to clean it. Good thing is boresnakes are washing machine safe. Toss it in a mesh bag and run it through when the Mrs. isn't looking ;)

I use a .30 cal boresnake all the time, but haven't gotten one for 12 gauge yet. For that I use a brass brush followed by a patchworm. The patchworm is a pull through thing made from weedwhacker line that accept different size plugs.

I've just gotten into boresnakes and think they're great, but a little pricey. Cuts cleaning time by two-thirds and no fighting with cleaning rods.

Started by saturating the brush end with Hoppe's #9, leaving the middle dry and then saturating the tail with Rem oil. Began to wonder if the Hoppe's might break down the copper in the bronze (?) brush. Now using Breakfree CLP on the brush end. Could probably use Breakfree or Ballistol on the both ends.

Bob

For the Bore Snake not clean enough guys.

1. Wash your snake.

2. When you clean your bore to bare metal your damaging it.

3. If you shoot corrosive use Hoppes #9 it was formulated for corrosive ammo.

I've just gotten into boresnakes and think they're great, but a little pricey. Cuts cleaning time by two-thirds and no fighting with cleaning rods.

Started by saturating the brush end with Hoppe's #9, leaving the middle dry and then saturating the tail with Rem oil. Began to wonder if the Hoppe's might break down the copper in the bronze (?) brush. Now using Breakfree CLP on the brush end. Could probably use Breakfree or Ballistol on the both ends.

Bob

I do not use Hoppe's any more I use Gunzilla. Gunzilla is an organic cleaner and is a replacement for oil. One cleaner for all and it is better than either CLP and Hoppe's.

http://gunzilla.us/index.htm

An it is non toxic !!!

• 3 weeks later...
Boresnakes are AWESOME, but remember that your bore can only get as clean as the boresnake is. Pulling a filthy boresnake through your barrel may break up fouling, but it won't do much to clean it. Good thing is boresnakes are washing machine safe. Toss it in a mesh bag and run it through when the Mrs. isn't looking ;)

I use a .30 cal boresnake all the time, but haven't gotten one for 12 gauge yet. For that I use a brass brush followed by a patchworm. The patchworm is a pull through thing made from weedwhacker line that accept different size plugs.

+1 on that. If you use them exclusively, it's a good idea to replace them when they get filthy. You can wash them as well, by the way.

I think the best use is as a field expedient or for a quick cleaning. Every two or three cleanings doing it the old fashioned way will get rid of any excess gunk.

Or, you can get an Otis kit and have almost the best of both worlds, but they are a little pricey. Just my opinion, YMMV.

I use them................for a quick barrel/chamber douching right when I'm done shooting.

I don't rely on them as my only cleaning method. I don't consider it a replacement for a cleaning rod, jag, patches and a brush.

I use jags in all of my rifled barrels. The shotguns just get a rem-oil wipe scrub on the end of a rod. It seems to get it pretty shiny.

Only reason I haven't gone for a boresnake is the price, and I couldn't imagine it would be any easier than a patch/jag.