I'm in the home stretch of my bachelor's degree, and I'm gonna reward myself with a gun...or several. :rolleyes: So who wants to help me pick?

I'm mainly going to use this gun for target practice and training, since I can't help but picture chucking away 9 dollars every time I empty my Saiga. I'm not that great of a shot right now, so I don't need match grade accuracy or anything, but I also don't want to outgrow my rifle in a couple of months of practice. I'm almost certain I want a pistol grip and aperture sights, or the option to install these things. Semi-auto would be nice, but it's not crucial. (I think the lever action Henry's are pretty cool, but they're pricey.)

Can anybody think of anything I might look at besides a 10/22? Also, it would be sweet to have a .22 AK, but I understand the WASR22's have run dry and they weren't that great anyway. Are there any AK trainers out there that are worth the money?

I think the 10/22 is your best bet, but there are alot of nice 22s out there. Century has some BRNO 22s right now and CZ makes a nice 22 boltgun to match their mausers, if you wanted something more traditional/historical. If you ever run an AR, ive heard nothing but good things about the Spikes Tactical 22 kit for the AR. If you get the 10/22 you can always drop it in a aftermarket stock, but of course, most of those are as expensive as the rifle, so its all about what you want.

In another thread about 22's, one that I started I believe someone had a 10/22 that was made to look like an AK, very nice!

I would go 10/22 or the AR with a conversion kit. To bad they don't make a AR kit that takes 10/22 mags.

In another thread about 22's, one that I started I believe someone had a 10/22 that was made to look like an AK, very nice!

It's called a Krinker Plinker conversion. It does look really cool, but would push my total up to $550+, which is more than I'm willing to pay for a .22 right now. Maybe someday. :wub: I'm looking seriously at the ATI Fiberforce stock sets; it would suit my purposes, and is in the $30 to $50 range.

Of course then I saw this:

http://www.milsurpstuff.com/proddetail.asp?prod=MAR3000

The same thing, but for a Marlin. So here's the question now: any reason to choose Ruger over Marlin or vice versa if all I'm going to do is drop it in an aftermarket stock?

Edited by JanusthePhoenix

It's called a Krinker Plinker conversion. It does look really cool, but would push my total up to $550+, which is more than I'm willing to pay for a .22 right now. Maybe someday. :wub: I'm looking seriously at the ATI Fiberforce stock sets; it would suit my purposes, and is in the $30 to $50 range.

The same thing, but for a Marlin. So here's the question now: any reason to choose Ruger over Marlin or vice versa if all I'm going to do is drop it in an aftermarket stock?

Mags would be one huge advantage for going 10/22. The Ruger is the shizzle, I have put over 500 rounds through mine with no cleaning and only a little lube with maybe three malfunctions, ammo related, I was shooting cheap Remington and they don't always fire. This is while I was breaking it in and I used the same mag for all of the rounds, I know I can load that mag up with cheap Federal and empty it 99.9999999999999999999999999999 percent of the time even if it's dirty. Oh and congrats on finishing school, what did you go for?

Mags would be one huge advantage for going 10/22. The Ruger is the shizzle, I have put over 500 rounds through mine with no cleaning and only a little lube with maybe three malfunctions, ammo related, I was shooting cheap Remington and they don't always fire. This is while I was breaking it in and I used the same mag for all of the rounds, I know I can load that mag up with cheap Federal and empty it 99.9999999999999999999999999999 percent of the time even if it's dirty. Oh and congrats on finishing school, what did you go for?

Business. I'm going to be a corporate fatcat and soak up millions of dollars in golden parachutes and bailouts. :haha: I'm not done yet though, I should be done in 2 or 3 months, I think, then I can go start on my MBA once I establish residency.

Business. I'm going to be a corporate fatcat and soak up millions of dollars in golden parachutes and bailouts. :haha: I'm not done yet though, I should be done in 2 or 3 months, I think, then I can go start on my MBA once I establish residency.

You will find happiness somewhere else and you will never finish. Or something terrible will happen to you and you will never finish.

If you are looking for a gun that is easy to work on and can be made into almost any configuration, then I would go with the Ruger 10/22. I know that I love mine and it has never missed a beat.

If you are looking for just a fun gun to play with, then you might consider this one. I just picked up one the other day and have been having a ball with it. GSG-5

You will find happiness somewhere else and you will never finish. Or something terrible will happen to you and you will never finish.

What a mean thing to say. :huh: You know I was kidding right? That's years away. I'll be getting my bailouts in Ameros, not dollars. :haha:

Anyway, the GSG-5 does look cool, but if I was to spend that kind of money on a .22 it would be a Krinker Plinker or GSG's AK trainer.

It looks like the 10/22 is the thing to get, unless I find some reason in the next few weeks to fall in love with Marlin. Thanks, everyone, for your input.

I'd go with the 10/22. You can do pretty much anything you want with it with a screwdriver and an allen wrench. They also have a 77/22 which is a bolt action that shares magazines and almost shares barrels with the 10/22. There also is a discontinued 96/22 which is a lever action that shares magazines and has the same barrel as the 77/22. There are two extractor slots for the 77 and 96, you can use any barrel from any model on any other, but some say you should cut the second extractor slot out of a 10/22 barrel for use on a 77 or 96. I have a 96/22 that I threaded and stained white, and a 10/22 with a black hogue stock that is also threaded. I swap a cheaper silencer back and forth between them, they're pretty fun. However, they're both optics only type guns. Those sights on the 10/22 sure do suck. With the stockers, it's Kentucky windage all the way. A lot of people seem okay with that somehow. There are aperture sights available for them, and if you want to use irons, pick up a set immediately.

I'd avoid the GSG-5, it isn't made as well as the 10/22 and yet somehow costs 250%+ as much. I've held five brand new examples, two I think were unfit to sell, and 2 of the others were just bad. One looked like a good gun, although by the construction of it... ehhhhhhh. Maybe it'll last, maybe it won't. The bad ones, well the parts didn't fit together and the guns were literally falling apart, they were seconds away from breaking. One of those times where you put something down lightly and hope you didn't break anything. If you have ever owned a cast aluminum paintball gun, imagine that as a firearm. The halves fit badly, they're screwed together, and the furniture fits badly. They're made of airsoft parts, real parts do not attach as nothing is to spec.

Good luck with your MBA, you have to put up with a lot of bullshit for a grad degree. I could not handle anyone in graduate classes. The students are front-seat sitters that practically fellate the professors in class. The professors are academics, and that's all I have to say about that. Every professor I've had that was 20 years out of practice had nothing to teach anyone. The ones that showed up 5 minutes early or late to their classes always had insight, as they just got off work and weren't academics. I get really tired of being asked the same questions multiple times, or having to treat anyone differently than they deserve. I pretty much hate every professor I've had that had tenure. That just means they're out of the game, but up on their "research" as if articles tell the truth or even come close to the full story. Oh and the passive aggressives, oh my. OH MY. Wrong 99% of the time, but so sure they're right. So out of touch... man I hate stupid people. But I can't even say I hate stupid people, actually. I guess I hate stupid people that think they're intelligent because they can pump out shit work that is so safely unimaginative that it says nothing at all, but gets an A as it right in line with the thinking of the prof, because it's practically their exact words and what was up and coming in the 1970's.

• Like 1

What a mean thing to say. :huh: You know I was kidding right? That's years away. I'll be getting my bailouts in Ameros, not dollars. :haha:

Anyway, the GSG-5 does look cool, but if I was to spend that kind of money on a .22 it would be a Krinker Plinker or GSG's AK trainer.

It looks like the 10/22 is the thing to get, unless I find some reason in the next few weeks to fall in love with Marlin. Thanks, everyone, for your input.

Truly just fucking with you man. Good luck to all your endeavors. I'm a little jealous, I make a lot of money but I'm bored off my ass. Go get that shit man.

+1 for the ruger, but make it stainless with a butler creek side folder and buy Tactical Innovations mags. The plastic ones. I love mine so much. And a butler creek speed loader off of ebay. Do not buy any drum that doesn't have a lever on it.

Unless you want a pistol. I love my stainless S&W 2206, It is weird and fun, with a wonderful trigger. And most of the things they say about it's bad reliability are true, unless you feed it what it likes.

I think 22 lever guns are pretty fun too, so if you want something other than a 10/22, look into those. (or ruger makes a gun that basically is a 10/22 lever action. I has none of the classic feel of other lever guns, but you can use 10/22 magazines...)

doesn't some south pacific country like Malaysia or Indonesia export a .22 ak look alike with similar components for use as a military trainer? I seem to recall that gun-tests was impressed.

Speaking as someone who was born and raised in California, let me tell you: walking into a gun store with money and walking out with a gun 15 minutes later is fucking sweet.

I got my 10/22 for 199.99. I'll post a pic or two once I get it all fixed up.

Speaking as someone who was born and raised in California, let me tell you: walking into a gun store with money and walking out with a gun 15 minutes later is fucking sweet.

I got my 10/22 for 199.99. I'll post a pic or two once I get it all fixed up.

Being from Moreno Valley CA myself I know exactly what you mean. 10/22's or fun little plinkers with tons of accessories for them, congrats on your purchase.

i have a ruger 10/22 and it's my fun gun when you want to unload 30 rounds quickly. It's got a pistol grip and folding stock and a bunch of other doohickies. it's looks scary and i like it that way.

my marlin 60 is more accurate than the 10/22. it's got nice wood and it's pretty in it's stock form. the shooting experience also seems nicer compared to my 10/22. Maybe because i take my time with it? I can't believe it was half the price of the 10/22.

lately, the taurus tracker in 22lr has been my favorite gun though (although it's not a rifle - not sure if you are looking at handguns also) (see my avatar)

---

opps. sorry this is late. congrats on the 10/22.

Edited by vujade
i have a ruger 10/22 and it's my fun gun when you want to unload 30 rounds quickly. It's got a pistol grip and folding stock and a bunch of other doohickies. it's looks scary and i like it that way.

my marlin 60 is more accurate than the 10/22. it's got nice wood and it's pretty in it's stock form. the shooting experience also seems nicer compared to my 10/22. Maybe because i take my time with it? I can't believe it was half the price of the 10/22.

lately, the taurus tracker in 22lr has been my favorite gun though (although it's not a rifle - not sure if you are looking at handguns also) (see my avatar)

---

opps. sorry this is late. congrats on the 10/22.

What are you liking about the Tracker?

I like the Ruger 10/22 a lot, good inexpensive shooter. I picked-up this one for my girlfriend a few months ago for around $250, used at a VA show. The scope is a cheap NCStar, but it works well enough for her; I'd never buy an NCStar again, it just happened to come with the rifle. The only thing I added was a Power Custom Titanium Extended Magazine Release, the stock magazine release always seemed a bit kludgy to me.

post-7166-1244691040_thumb.jpgpost-7166-1244691046_thumb.jpg

The other 22 I'd consider getting is the GSG-5, mentioned by some other posters, they are fun as hell to shoot and won't break the bank like an actual MP5. I fired one at the NRA range a few months ago, it was good times! A buddy of mine just picked one up and loves it.

Anyway, congrats on your bachelor's degree, if you're ever in N.VA, stop by for some shooting!

Idk if y'all have seen; GSG has an Ak that they're bringing to market soon. It's another .22 with open mags (ewwww) but it looks pretty good. I'd take a look at it if I were buying a .22 Ak.

As everyone else has said Ruger 10/22's are a gun that everyone must at least own one. They're fun to shoot and you can customize to your hearts content.

My personal favorite is the GSG Mp5k... I bought one a few months ago and it's a riot. You can really cycle to bolt quick and it stays cool. Jams occasionally but it's easy enough to clear. I really like Hk battery of arms. Not a gun if you want to shoot for accuracy tho... standing I can hit a man size target at 15 yards but it's tough, though I'll be the first to admit I suck at pistol shooting.

you first 22 really should be the ones us lifetime shooters started on.....a single shot (no mag) bolt action.

Using this type of gun teaches you a lot of things, that you wouldnt think it would.

Oh, and put a sling on it, and learn how to wrap your arm in it to get a solid grip, cheek weld, and shoulder mountup.

your SECOND 22 should be a 10/22, mossberg bolt/mag gun, or marlin microgroove.....

now if you want to spend more, give us a call, we sell some really REALLY nice russian made 22s.....take a look on RAAC's website. They are pricy, but real nice guns.