Saiga-12 for Clays?

people say its not good because its not got a super long super tightly choked barrel, and its not an over-under or side-by-side.... ALOT of people that shoot trap and skeet are SERIOUS gun snobs, and they think if you're not using what they're using that its just not as good.....

I have shot clays with mine and it does GREAT went 10 for 10 at one point and hit 45 out of 50 overall when we were playin around up on a road job back home... and that was before I bought a polychoke with an 18 inch barrel

Well, Saigas are a little heavy. Barrel underneath the gas tube makes pointing a little awkward. Needs a decent choke. Otherwise, it's fine.

But yeah, some trap and skeet shooters are major gun snobs. If you can afford a Perazzi though, you can afford to be a snob I guess.

I've done it. Our club has a 5 stand set-up with 10 throwers. The best I have done is 8 out of 25. I have the 19 inch model with no choke and I am not a skilled clay shooter. No one wants to be to my right as they claim my gun is louder than anyone elses. I am fortunate that no one at the club that I have met so far is a snob.

I have no problem shooting clays with my 19" no choke I shoot a lot of clays and the gun range clay shooters crack me up they are a few snobs its funny shooting with the saiga and they get all upset when they miss with there overpriced ou just for fun I like to shoot my mossberg 500 with a coach pg just to piss em off but yeah its pretty good for bustin clay

The 18in open cylinder is a bit of chance mixed with skill, depending on fast/far your thrower goes, but with a little practice and good choke you should be able to easily change that statement to "I can almost get 10 shots off and hit 10 clays"

If i buy another S12, thats probably my plan for it.

Edited by ReverendFranz
Why do some people say S-12 is not for clay pigeon shooting?

I can almost get 10 shots off to try to hit one clay. :killer::D

I started shooting Skeet a my gun club to build my skill with the saiga-12 and to have fun.

It is obvious to me that the S-12 is not for this sport, or put better, the sport was not made for the S-12.

It's because of the rules: Bolt open and and only two shells loaded at a time.

The bolt open part is not such an issue now that Saigas (like mine) have a bolt hold open feature.

The two rounds at a time rule is a drag with the Saiga: you fire twice at two clays, then remove mag, load two shells while holding the gun, rock&lock, shoulder the sock, and yell PULL!.

That means compared to the Elmer Fuds, it takes me a lot longer between the time I fire and the next time I say "PULL"!

They just crack open their double barrel wich ejects the empties, slide in two more, and lock the barrel as they shoulder it.

The Only-Two-Live-Rounds rule is universal for the sport (and enforcement driven by club insurance policies).

It sure has occured to me that it would be nice if I could just use that 12 round mag and keep firing as the Saiga was designed to do.

But no.

That's not allowed.

So the Saiga-12 is cumbersom at trap and skeet.

So, I bought more magazines (including a 2rd for duck killing), and I've got a plan to try swaping mags instead of loading shells individually.

That should speed me up, but I will still be slower than the Fuds.

My first time bringing the S-12 out for trap shooting there were complaints about some guy shooting clays with a rifle...

Couldn't have been me, if i could hit clays with a rifle, i'de be on tour doing trick shoots!

either way, it works i'm just not very good, LOL. Indy tells me he'll whup me into shape, but we havn't gotten together yet.

Damn skippy I will, nailbomb! Swing your ass over to Falcons one of these nights, and we will open up the trap house and go to town!!! ( plus we can bring a dozen more goodies down to the rifle range and really go to town!! :up: )

Although I dont shoot the S12 at trap too often anymore, I still shot my *FIRST PERFECT 25* with my Saiga 20 gauge!! :up:

I use the OTHER Izhmash gun... The Baikal MP-154

I will break 22-24 CONSISTENTLY out of 25 with it... Not because the S12 cant do the job... but because thats the gun the wife uses, and when I want to shoot a round, I just grab HER GUN And use it... :lol: It really pisses the other trap league folks off when I go out and bust a bunch... they are all " you should join the trap league!!" I just scoff and tell them " I dont shoot to compete" LOL and walk away.

There is NOTHING wrong with shooting the S12 or ANY shotgun at trap for that matter... The thing is... you need to be PROFICIENT WITH YOUR FIREARM!!!!

If you can shoot YOUR SHOTGUN WELL... it doesnt matter WHAT IT IS... you WILL BREAK CLAYS! Its THAT simple!

:smoke:

I've shot clays with mine, sporting and on our local public range (trap next to the shooter) just for fun. It drives the Fudds nuts when you keep breaking clays with a PG converted Saiga with 10-shot mag that they missed using their $2000 O/U :D

Its just as fun showing them up with my pump action remington 870.

I usually bust 24 of 25 on 5 stand. 22 of 25 of trap. Skeet is a different game though. I'm in the 12-15 of 25 range regardless of the gun

• 2 weeks later...
I've done it. Our club has a 5 stand set-up with 10 throwers. The best I have done is 8 out of 25. I have the 19 inch model with no choke and I am not a skilled clay shooter. No one wants to be to my right as they claim my gun is louder than anyone elses. I am fortunate that no one at the club that I have met so far is a snob.

8 out of 25? I'm not trying to be a dick, but damn that's pretty bad. At what range were you firing at the skeet, (how far were you from the clays)? with a Polychoke on my IZ109, I can easily bust any clay that I can draw a bead on in time. If I miss one, it's my fault, not the gun's. Even without the Polychoke, I still had ~80% hit average on clays with my S-12, (this is at ~30 yards). With the Polychoke, I average 9/10, (if I miss that 1/10 I follow up with another shot and bust that biatch :D Damn I love the S-12's semi-auto function and ammo capacity).

edit: Alright, I s'pose I should specify that my clay shooting experience with the S-12 is limited to heading out to the hills with my friends and trading off clay-throwing duty, (the clays I've fired at were flung with a hand-launcher). Of course, using this method, the shooting is pretty challenging, as different throwers seem to release the skeet at different times/angles once ordered to "pull!".

Edited by post-apocalyptic
When you all shoot skeet with your s 12 do you point or line up the sights, it seems i do better if i line up the sights and shoot than i do wide eyed

In my opinion and experience, you should always use your sights if at all possible. Practice shouldering and sighting in quickly. As you've already noticed, you, (and everyone else), are a lot more accurate when you use the sights on your weapon. :up: