So, what AK is worth buying?

Been thinking about adding a new AK to my collection. The problem? Well, according to prevailing opinion, anything built by Century is junk. Anything built by TGI is Junk, anything built as a Bulgarian SSR is junk. Arsenal is overpriced and exists merely to gouge ignorant buyers out of their dough.

So whats left on the open market? I don't have the needed tools or experience to build my own AK out of a parts kit. I suppose there is the option of having a Saiga converted to AK specs, as I did with my S12, but isn't there any AK widely available for sale that is of decent quality and affordable?

Any of the Vepr rifle series especially the Vepr II as the build and accuracy are outstanding. It's probably going to be some time before any new Vepr rifles get imported again to the U.S. if ever making them highly collectable. I have an Arsenal SLR-105 and I agree, the prices of the Bulgarian rifles are approaching insanity levels.

I would assume the OP is asking about rifles in current production, in the supply chain, and not "collectibles" or "have to find a unicorn and look up it's hiney to find one" type rifles.

That is correct. Rifles readily available, or at least available with a bit of looking. Arizona Response Systems has a nice looking AK74 available, but it tops out at near $1000. Lancaster Arms has a good looking blond Bulgarian furniture AK, but it is around the $850 mark. Both of these are custom builds I believe.

If I could pick up something of good quality for under $800 I would give it some serious thought. Most of the stuff I see originates from Century, and when I see that warning sirens go off for me...

I dont know about others but I have AKs from Century (Romy rpk, psl) and no problems other than they had canted sights when I first bought them but that took all of 30 seconds to correct at home and later at the range. My friend has a Yugo underfolder from Century and it runs like a champ. I think they are allright as long as you look it over before u buy it. Ask to put a mag in to make sure there isnt a lot of mag wabble, check the bullet guide for cracks (had that on a Golani), barrel... Most Romy Aks have less than perfect wood furniture but most people change that anyways.If your gunstore lets you fire it first even better.

IMHO if your looking for an AK with an awsome finish, top notch wood furniture and under $800 you have almost no chance of finding one. But if you're looking for an AK and especialy if you're going to change the furniture take a look at some Century AKs. Just give them a good looking over.

My .000002 cents

I dont know about others but I have AKs from Century (Romy rpk, psl) and no problems other than they had canted sights when I first bought them but that took all of 30 seconds to correct at home and later at the range. My friend has a Yugo underfolder from Century and it runs like a champ. I think they are allright as long as you look it over before u buy it. Ask to put a mag in to make sure there isnt a lot of mag wabble, check the bullet guide for cracks (had that on a Golani), barrel... Most Romy Aks have less than perfect wood furniture but most people change that anyways.If your gunstore lets you fire it first even better.

IMHO if your looking for an AK with an awsome finish, top notch wood furniture and under $800 you have almost no chance of finding one. But if you're looking for an AK and especialy if you're going to change the furniture take a look at some Century AKs. Just give them a good looking over.

. . to continue this line of thought:

All AKs have "cant" to them to some degree. The question you have to ask yourself is: Can I sight it in? If the answer is 'yes', you have no problems.

Too many people are forgetting that these rifles were designed to be cheaply produced implements of war, not "multi-generational hand-built heirloom" quality rifles.

There's 1/2 a dozen VEPRs on gunbroker last time I looked and a few SLR-95s for sale too and unfortunately they beat the ass off of anything available in current production outside of a converted Saiga

This is a damn good quality build at a reasonable price>> http://www.ohioordnanceworks.com/semi-auto...-semi-auto.html

SAR-1 still IMHO, is the closest thing to the real deal and relatively inexpensive.... Why did they stop importing them anyway back in '02 or '03?

There's 1/2 a dozen VEPRs on gunbroker last time I looked and a few SLR-95s for sale too and unfortunately they beat the ass off of anything available in current production outside of a converted Saiga

This is a damn good quality build at a reasonable price>> http://www.ohioordnanceworks.com/semi-auto...-semi-auto.html

Correct on the one hand, but that isn't an AK of any sort.

The recently introduced factory rifles are much cheaper (and not reverse-engineered) as well.

The recently introduced factory rifles are much cheaper (and not reverse-engineered) as well.

What "recently introduced factory rifles" are you referring to?

What "recently introduced factory rifles" are you referring to?

The Czechoslavakian Vz58 hasn't been imported here more than 2 years (690gr linked to OOW's reverse-engineered Vz2000). The Czech Vz58s are much cheaper than OOW's offerings.

Still not an AK, though.

Explain "Canted" please.

An AK sight tool fixes that real quick. Personally, I have never seen an AK that went from the wholeseller to the customer that didnt have canted sights unles along the way it made a stop at a custom gun shop. But that is just my experiance. Others may be different.

... Too many people are forgetting that these rifles were designed to be cheaply produced implements of war, not "multi-generational hand-built heirloom" quality rifles.

Yep, I have seen few AKs available in the use that were so poorly assembled that they failed to do what an AK was designed for...

On the other hand, most guys want, "a nice one!"

+1 for Norinco. They're one "Made in China" item that is anything but crap. Of course, they haven't been imported in nearly 15 years thanks to our government, but if you can find one they're nice guns.