A formal Request For Gabe Suarez to do a S-12 exclusive video.

OK... I tried to do this before....

I would love to see a video from Gabe Suarez and Infidel Media Group Exclusively covering my all time favorite firearms platform...

Not only do I think the info in the video would be potentially life saving and enlightening...

But I think it would be mutually beneficial to our industry as well as theirs...

The Saiga 12 may be the funnest gun in the world to shoot....

but used in the proper capacity.. it can also be the most devastating if used in it's proper niche.

Please sound off if you would be interested in seeing an S.I. instructional video on our favorite platform!!!!

The Saiga 12 shotgun!!!

I'd love to see S.I. back on board here as well...

Even Makc was sorry to see him go....

I cut and pasted this from the book review thread

I'm gonna be taking shotgun gunfighting and advance SGGF through SI in aug/sept here in Mi....

Gabe was originally planning on doing a Saiga-12 exclusive video as well..

However, during the time of planing and production... there was that huge Saiga dry spell...

Where in some ridiculous situations you would see a stock s12 pushing the better side of a grand on gunbroker....

He was even a business member here for a while to help promote with his Saiga project...

I think more folks here are of the "Hot Rod" mindset vs the "Fighting" mindset... Not that that's a bad thing....

Anyhow.. I think a saiga solo video project did not have enough consumer steam to be lucrative at that point in time....

During the Shotgun Gunfighting Video... Gabe even stated that there was a "Tribalism around this weapon"... I wonder why LOL!!!???"

BTW... Happy St James day, Everybody!!!

StJames.jpg

The book was fantastic as well... I think it would a sad thing to not see the video come to fruition..

Count my vote as well. I too have his book and would love to see a video come to fruition. When it comes to combat and personal defense, one can never learn, review, or properly practice enough and the more resources available to assist in accomplishing these tasks the better.

Zach

Kross FA

I suspect that being a businessman, Gabe may not initially see any benefit in producing a video for an Internet forum. Then again, if he can be convinced that doing so would result in greater book sales and course participation, and making the video would be relatively inexpensive for him, he might see it as a "sales promotion" effort, well worth the effort. Actually, I think that may very well be the case. Most firearms training venues succeed and are profitable because of awareness by prospects, and the reputation of the venue, enhanced by promotional efforts.

Personally, I hope he does make the video, even if a limited content version. I'm big on training, and would love to see such a video. Heck, I might even be persuaded to take one of his training courses if a video convinces me it's worth it.

I suspect that being a businessman, Gabe may not initially see any benefit in producing a video for an Internet forum. Then again, if he can be convinced that doing so would result in greater book sales and course participation, and making the video would be relatively inexpensive for him, he might see it as a "sales promotion" effort, well worth the effort. Actually, I think that may very well be the case. Most firearms training venues succeed and are profitable because of awareness by prospects, and the reputation of the venue, enhanced by promotional efforts.

Personally, I hope he does make the video, even if a limited content version. I'm big on training, and would love to see such a video. Heck, I might even be persuaded to take one of his training courses if a video convinces me it's worth it.

An S12 exclusive video would be great. :up:

Sr. Suarez will do a video when he can make money on it and you will never see any free videos from him on the internet - he's a capitalist :dollar:

HarvKY

An S12 exclusive video would be great. :up:

Sr. Suarez will do a video when he can make money on it and you will never see any free videos from him on the internet - he's a capitalist :dollar:

HarvKY

Yes--Let's see a video.

-Cheers

I am sure this will be a very useful video, I have to say this first, the Siaga 12 with a 20 rd drum has not as of yet found it's tactical nitch. It is a Submachinegun in 12 gauge! This thing is a game changer and a huge leap forward I just wish some one like Gabe would work up a doctrine for it's use.

truth be told, Gabe is mediocre at best. We could do better. He has an agenda that does'nt fit his wallet. And my 8yr old can sneak up behind him and slap him in the back of his inflamed noggin before he figures out a squirrel shit on him.

All of you sound like Obot's.

Challenge? Pfft...........

truth be told, Gabe is mediocre at best. We could do better. He has an agenda that does'nt fit his wallet. And my 8yr old can sneak up behind him and slap him in the back of his inflamed noggin before he figures out a squirrel shit on him.

All of you sound like Obot's.

Challenge? Pfft...........

OMG! You will incur the wrath of the cult followers and be burned at the stake,LOL

Seriously there is nothing wrong with Gabe Suarez methods but they are far from being the "Last Word" on armed combat but people have to start somewhere and if a person has never had any professional training then a couple of weeks doing the SI drills would probably improve their odds of survival significantly in an armed confrontation.

I still think there are some shooters on this board who if allowed to spend a couple of months doing nothing but shooting and training with the Saiga 12 could flesh out a pretty sophisticated employment strategy for our beloved shotguns equal or superior to any of the "experts" currently in favor with tacticool crowd.

By all means a Gabe Suarez video specifically for the Saiga 12 would be great since magazine fed shotguns are the wave of the future and tube fed shotguns are an anachronism using 100 year old technology but why doesn't someone here who has some serious trigger time and some professional experience make a video?

I think Tony Rumore, Bob Ash, Bvamp,Cobra 76 etc have more combined Saiga 12 trigger time than anyone else and I know at least a couple of them are prior service and then we could tease them about being "AK Shotgun Experts" ;)

I would totally buy an S12 video. Maybe Gabe could look at other semi-auto shotguns as part of the exercise so that it'd have a broader audience. Not an obot, but I'm very interested in learning as much as I can. What's the point of buying something like <insert any firearm> and not learning the most you can about it?

I think Tony Rumore, Bob Ash, Bvamp,Cobra 76 etc have more combined Saiga 12 trigger time than anyone else and I know at least a couple of them are prior service and then we could tease them about being "AK Shotgun Experts" ;)

Ex Military or not.. I don't recall the Shotty of any flavor being an "organic" weapon in fireteam tactics other than a door buster for MOUT when I was in the Corps...

I Feel we could gain more knowledge from (yes! your favorite topic, SOPMOD!) LAW ENFORCEMENT!!!

as far as practical use for a shotgun..... or perhaps from Sonny P (Spetsnats) who happens to work with... Oh... that's right!! Gabe Suarez!!!!

Much respect for our Local knowledge base...Roswin, Topmaul, Wakal, Palidin, Dinzag and Sinistral Rifleman are no slouches behind the trigger either if you are looking for "Shooting expertise" on the saiga .......

As Topmaul said... the Saiga is a game changer.....

if we wait for our military OR our Law enforcement to "develop" something new... it will be old news.....

Let the shotgun seller sell shot guns, the gun builder build guns, the parts makers make guns....

If there is a video to me made Let the video maker make it..

I guarentee you that ALL of the knowleged here would be utalised.. as the names mentioned above have swayed the entire industry...

When you could have billy Mays (RIP).. whiy would you have this guy...???

used-car-salesman.jpg

I feel the exoposure could be lucrative....

Suarez and his crew are top knotch as far as video production.....

not to mention..... marketable.....

I don't care how AWESOME you mall ninja buddies are..... Gabe can get the job done par none AND market it....

other than that... you have a video with no hits on youtube.....

Topics I'd like to see more about:

- Weapon transitions on a shotgun with a banana clip

- Not having to pump, I'd imagine that movements would be a bit more different, smoother.

- The whole exercise of moving off the X... it seems it'd be different if only because your rate of fire would be so overpowering. Once they heard you shoot, they'd know it was a shotgun.

- Next point then is that, assuming they saw you, they'd be thinking you have an AK and would react accordingly. How would you exploit this? Once they figure out it's a shotgun, does the lack of a pumping sound/movement/action give you any tactical advantages?

- Gabe's book talks about transition from buckshot to slug as a function of range, but with a magazine, it seems that there is a volume and rate of fire that could be effectively exploited as well. I've seen posts on here from the hunters who were hitting targets at 50+ yards.

- A lot of the courses I've been looking at seem to hit the above topics pretty well, but it seems the delegated role of a shotgunner is room clearing and blowing doors off, the breacher. However, the S12 seems like it'd be an ideal weapon for assaulting. Is there a tactical difference with an S12 for assaulting versus clearing versus HD?

- S12 solo role and S12 squad or team role. If I've got someone with me who has a rifle or a pistol, do I really need to transition?

Gabe's book touches on it, but I think having a video would be a great forum to talk about simple things we posted (some by me too) covering basic functions, maintenance, (dis)assembly, and the like. Where Gabe is huge proponent of converting, having a section about that and the differences between sporter and converted would be illustrative as would be a step by step how to: 1) dissassemble, 2) clean, lube, oil, grease, 3) reassemble, and 4) achieving reliability.

IMO, the ultimate would be to get some of the Russians who have actually used these in combat to be on the video talking about their training programs and offering tips throughout.

Ex Military or not.. I don't recall the Shotty of any flavor being an "organic" weapon in fireteam tactics other than a door buster for MOUT when I was in the Corps...

I Feel we could gain more knowledge from (yes! your favorite topic, SOPMOD!) LAW ENFORCEMENT!!!as far as practical use for a shotgun..... or perhaps from Sonny P (Spetsnats) who happens to work with... Oh... that's right!! Gabe Suarez!!!!

From SE Asia to Delta to SEALs shotguns have been employed for far more than just door breaching and that was with obsolete 100 year old designs.Using a magazine fed weapon in UO is military territory as far as I can tell and beyond kicking in a few doors on badguys who don't have any weapons skills whatsoever the police really aren't experienced at "fighting" anybody and when they do end up in a real fight with some scumbag that has a clue there is usually a pile of dead and/or wounded cops as the news reports of the last 3 years can attest to

Much respect for our Local knowledge base...Roswin, Topmaul, Wakal and Dinzag and Sinestral Rifllman are no slouches behind the trigger either if you are looking for "Shooting expertise" on the saiga .......

As Topmaul said... the Saiga is a game changer.....

A lot of the innovations we take for granted do come from people who shoot tens of thousands of rounds per year in preparation for shooting sports but they admit that they are "playing a game" and things like zoning,fire and maneuver, fields of fire and the effective use of cover are every bit as important as how fast and accurate you are because that is what keeps you from getting shot in a fight and I have yet to see any of these Mall Ninja Superstars on DVD actually teach effective combatives.They just stand out there in the wide open blasting away with repetitive robot like moves and talk about cover as an afterthought.Great for a "mad minute" or for a pack of LEOs crashing a house full of doped up goonies but in wide open UO those tactics are a death sentence and will get anyone who uses them flanked or shot in the back of the head.

if we wait for our military OR our Law enforcement to "develop" something new... it will be old news.....

Let the shotgun seller sell shot guns, the gun builder build guns, the parts makers make guns....

If there is a video to me made Let the video maker make it..

I guarantee you that ALL of the knowledge here would be utilized.. as the names mentioned above have swayed the entire industry...

There's PSDs using Saiga 12s in Iraq according to a good friend of mine who just returned from there and I know for a fact that they have browsed this forum and ordered stuff from our vendors because this is the Nexus for Saiga 12 info and resources.Those are the guys that should be making some videos or writing books about the Saiga 12 but we will have to wait and see if any of them will ever run into a backer with the resources to produce good video.

I feel the exposure could be lucrative....

Suarez and his crew are top notch as far as video production.....

not to mention..... marketable.....

I don't care how AWESOME your mall ninja buddies are..... Gabe can get the job done par none AND market it....

other than that... you have a video with no hits on youtube.....

Mall Ninjas these days seem to wear desert colors in green environments and buy Suarez DVDs ;)

It ain't braggin if you can do it and franky I shoot with guys one a regular basis who train better than the stuff taught by SI or any of these other outfits advertising books and videos in the back of "Soldier of Fiction" magazine and my little video on youtube is not a boast so much as a poke in the eye to all of the little kiddies who bow down and worship at the altar of these tacticoolsuperdupermallninjacommandoes making DVDs like they know what the fuck they are talking about.

If I'm as good as Gabe Suarez and I'm "just some guy" playing around on the public range on the 4th of July holiday and despite being an armed professional several times in my life have never experienced the rigors of combat but know enough about it to know when I see some shit seriously lacking from all of these supposed "Experts" currently en vogue today because I was trained by people who were able to competently explain what would keep me alive if things got stupid and I paid very strict attention.

I would love to think that all of my opponents in some future encounter would just "take a knee" right out there in the open instead of hauling ass for cover to setup right and shoot at my ass from thick cover and a steady rifle rest and that they would just stand there looking down at their weapon and magazine pouch when their weapon ran dry allowing me the opportunity to run around and flank them instead of keeping their eyes on me like they are supposed to and making a well practiced mag change while continuing to lead me as the target to bust a cap in my ass the millisecond they got their weapon primed again instead of having to reaquire me since I moved 20 yards while they were doing that goofy SI reload.

Pretty funny shit huh? and that was just me watching the highlights of my buddy's SI video ;)

Any young Ranger who has played "3 block war" in the last 10 years looks at these videos and laughs their ass off just like I did :D

Edited by SOPMOD

Sopmod

I sure didn't mean you any disrespect... I Got out in '93...

I was not "High Speed" like you and your buddies.... just a regular jarhead..

"charge into the ambush screaming...." " break contact: enemy, right" & busting paper at 500 yds..

was about the extent of our training... (Yes I was active duty, too)

The leo thing...It's called humor.... I though you would get it...

I should know by now cleaning up the aftermath of all the threads that it strikes a deep nerve with you... sorry...

In my dated knowledge and firsthand exposure... I "did not see" anyone but ammo tecs with shottys...

I have see plenty of LEOs with them though...

all our QCB was 5.56

I DO however understand the difference between 3 gun and a fighting mindset...

But thanks for clarifying anyhow...

I can and will say this... Suarez has got me training again everyday... for the first time in years...

although I may never posses your superhuman abilities...

I feel more comfortable, familiar and confidant with my weapons each and every day...

and no need to call anyone out.....

The mall ninja costume was not directed towards you...

Edit:I DO ware the shirts of the folks I print for... regardless of color.. Simply to support those who support me...

and as a screen printer.. I can't afford anyone's shirts other than my own....

again, I totally view you as a friend and mean no disrespect....

Looking forward to your video... ;)

From SE Asia to Delta to SEALs shotguns have been employed for far more than just door breaching and that was with obsolete 100 year old designs.Using a magazine fed weapon in UO is military territory as far as I can tell and beyond kicking in a few doors on badguys who don't have any weapons skills whatsoever the police really aren't experienced at "fighting" anybody and when they do end up in a real fight with some scumbag that has a clue there is usually a pile of dead and/or wounded cops as the news reports of the last 3 years can attest to

This is Valid.

I was not "High Speed" like you and your buddies.... just a regular jarhead..

"charge into the ambush screaming...." " break contact: enemy, right" & busting paper at 500 yds..

was about the extent of our training... (Yes I was active duty, too)

Violence of action is underestimated and disturbingly effective when used by those who can hit what they are aiming at.

Aside from that I'm sure the both of you can agree that if all his videos do is motivate you to train they are a effective tool. Being well practiced makes you more effective, Period. Someone less familiar with a weapon will fumble under stress and that is the first thing to being more effective.

Whooee, lots of passion here, and plenty of opinion.

As usual, I can't resist contributing my own opinion, and experience too.

Was I a high-speed low-drag hotshot? Nah, I was a Sailor, specializing in Fire Control, which is where I gained my interest and knowledge of ballistics, and became an avid student of that science. But being a dyed in the wool gun enthusiast, and delving into just about every type of weapon except shotguns over many years, as well as experimenting in both modifiying guns of many types and handloading just about every handgun caliber and load, I accumulated a goodly amount of knowledge. The span of my experience and knowledge covers over 55 years, and having earned a pretty good income over those years, I was able to afford a large selection of guns and had the money to buy plenty of ammo of all types. My shotgun experience however was limited to my inherited 1936 12 gauge Belgian Browning A5 that was my grandfather's pheasant gun.

While I have read a lot of articles and stories of shooting strategy and tactics, I never bought and used a DVD instructional series to learn the RIGHT "how-to". I DID however take an urban carbine course taught by a man named Jim Crews. It was called "Some of the Answer". Not having taken a class at either Thunder Ranch or Gunsite, I can't speak authoritively of a comparison between Jim Crews and Jeff Cooper, or Clint Smith. I CAN tell you that he absolutely amazed me with the knowledge and skills he was able to impart. I learned things I had no idea even existed, and thanks to his expert teaching ability, became proficient at all of the skills he taught. Being an urban carbine course, we all used various versions of the AR 15. I used a Carbon 15 with a Trijicon Reflex sight, and it turned out to be a good choice. The course was taught out in the Arizona desert, and took as best I can recall, two 10 hour days and one almost 18 hour day (to include night ops). It was non-stop, and Jim was a hard taskmaster. FWIW, the Carbon 15 fired 1500 rounds before it had a stoppage. Pretty impressive for a gun with a bad rep. I still have it, and have modified it to weigh only 4 pounds with the Trijicon Reflex sight, a nylon carry strap, and a 9 round mag + one in in the chamber. It's only 33" long with the special 8-1/2" removable buttstock, and 28-3/4" with it removed. That includes the removable muzzle brake or Vortex flash hider, depending on which I have installed on the QD muzzle fitting.

Anyway, in retrospect, my modified S-12 turns out to be ideal for adapting to all I learned for urban fighting. Ironically, Jim Crews recommends a 20 round mag, or even a 9 rounder (which is what I use) in the AR 15 for urban combat over a 30 rounder, due to the better maneuverability afforded by the shorter mag length and lighter weight, and is more suitable for shooting from prone. That agrees with what shotgun gurus suggest for the S-12, which is a 5 round mag for fighting rather than even an 8 or 10 rounder. I rely on backup mags for plenty of ammo, and practice tactical reloading to keep the lead flying.

One thing I learned that I find among the most important of all the skills I picked up from Jim. That's the instant mount. You start with the carbine (or in this case, the modified shotgun) slung "African Carry", that is, muzzle down on the rear of the left shoulder, mag facing forward. Using the left hand, grasp the forearm and pull the rifle slightly away from the body, letting the sling slide down the left arm until it's completely free. Turn the rifle as you swing it across the body to place it top side up and butt to the rear as you pull it into the right shoulder and mount it. As you mount it, flip the safety off, align the dot in the sight with your target and fire, using the "Mozambique Drill", or "Triple Tap" as it's called here. With practice, you will learn to be able to do this faster than an unskilled assailant can draw and fire a handgun accurately. Another advantage with this is being all black, and slung behind the left shoulder (where most people don't expect a gun to be), if you're wearing black or dark clothing, it's almost invisible. Note: Do NOT practice this with a loaded shotgun. Do have the mag you intend to use inserted, but make sure it's empty, and of course, that includes the chamber.

There was plenty more, including shooting from behind a curb for cover, shooting while running, accurately snapping off a head shot at a BG who is hiding behind a hostage, tactical reloading, jam clearing, etc. That urban carbine shooting is usually conducted under 100 yards, the lessons learned apply quite well to a Saiga S-12 with a shortened barrel, and even more to a converted one with an 18" or less barrel.

If you want to be proficient and effective with a converted S-12, I think any urban carbine course can teach you most if not all of the basics. The few differences would involve ammo choice and proper use of each . I DO think that actual personal training courses are far better than trying to learn complicated moves from a DVD. If you are dedicated and determined to be REALLY good (and effective) with your converted S-12, I highly recommend scrimping and saving if you have to, and taking one of the better courses at a reputable firearns training academy. It will be expensive, but as my Doctor says when I complain about the price of Plavix, "what is your life worth?" In this case however, you might also ask yourself what your family's life is worth.

Anyway, these are my thoughts on combat shotgun training.

YMMV.

For the record I think Gabe's gun handling skills are plenty competent and the level of training he imparts beats the hell out of what most shooters have which is "Zilch" but just because he's "the only game in town" for readily accessible and affordable foreign weapons training doesn't mean people should do his deal and think they "have it handled" and I'm not saying that what the military develops is the last word either since the best training I ever have had was in the private sector from ex military guys who developed a pretty sophisticated training regime for multi billion dollar corporations,DOE and Private Security Firms operating overseas who admitted that much of what they teach was developed in hindsight from the mistakes and shortcomings of their previous combat experience.

If you get somebody who's an incredible shooter like TopMaul to play OPFOR in a real UO training environment for 3 months with his Saiga 12 and then you would really have something because he would pick up the the scoot side of "shoot and scoot" thing really quick if he got sick of his MILES gear ringing or getting welts from simunition rounds before he even got to do his thing he would adapt accordingly and the resulting effect would be shockingly effective.

Video tape that little scenario with some effective narration and you'd really have something I could "bow down" to and let the footage speak for itself but in the mean time if Gabe made a video it would only further legitimize the Saiga 12 and inspire more US Market Leaders to pay attention and abandon these ancient tube fed thingies and get with the program giving us even more choices in the future.

I like this guy

because he's a real war fighter and his experience shines through but he isn't glued enough to a doctrine to teach a novice a simple system they can stick to until they get a feel for their own dexterity and skill level.The process is evolving all the time and Gabe probably adds to that process more than anybody because of his level of exposure but there has got to be a Next Level and I guess that's what I have been waiting for.

This looks pretty fun too

Edited by SOPMOD
Violence of action is underestimated and disturbingly effective when used by those who can hit what they are aiming at.

Aside from that I'm sure the both of you can agree that if all his videos do is motivate you to train they are a effective tool. Being well practiced makes you more effective, Period. Someone less familiar with a weapon will fumble under stress and that is the first thing to being more effective.

Hey, I was a Marine that I grew up in Lansing and Detroit...

Exploding in to violence is one of the gifts my Lord has blessed me with... ;)

I will let those who shoot with me and know me be the judge of my abilities...

a few who I have received and returned enemy fire with..

Other than that... it's just wasted bandwidth on the internet....

awesomeo5to.gif