How to be a Saiga gunsmith?

I am a U.S. Navy Gunners Mate with 12 years under my belt and still going strong.I di my own Saiga 12 conversion and two others for very close friends. Question is. How do I get to be a certified Saiga gunsmith and/or converter.I figured Hell,I can do it easy,I might as well make money doing it.Thanks again guys.

Well, you will need an SOT (manufacturer's license) first off...

To get certified as a saiga mechanic isnt really that simple, and there is only one that I know of that was offered by the factory in Russia to become a factory certified Armorer for Itzmash, and that is the current warranty holder for the US importer, Tom Cole of Cadiz Gun Works.....(hey, whadda ya know, I work for Tom!)

Further, you will have to pay an excise tax and stamp every gun, if you plan to do more than 50 a year (which wouldnt be difficult to achieve in short order, do you really want to call your 49 prior customers to ask for the gun back to stamp and pay a tax on that you didnt collect?)

It is considered by the BATF that changing the gun's imported configuration back to the AK pattern, is indeed manufacturing, and unless you do one here and there for a freind, without the primary intent of making a profit or income, you will need to be licensed in the manufacture of firearms....

Hope this helps you get a start....

Ah...an SOT is a 'permit' to build fun(er) toys.

A 07 FFL is a manufacturing license :)

One needs an 07 plus an SOT to build, for example, full auto, short barrel, suppressed toys (or all of the above). Just an 07 lets you built guns that are not restricted under the NFA.

Gunsmithing is fun. Running a shop is more fun. Learn to like Ramon noodles ;)

Alex

• Like 1

I thought you just needed an FFL? He's not making the gun...

If he is buying Saiga 12s for the purpose of both converting and reselling them, then yes believe it or not that does fall under what the ATF would consider manufacturing. The rumour is that the ATF deliberately takes a very broad definition of what is manufacturing, in order to increase the revenue the ATF collects from dealers and gunsmiths who then also have to get a manufacturing license. Anyway here it is straight from the FAQ ( http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#h6 ) on the ATF website:

(H6)May a person engage in gunsmithing under a dealer’s license (type 01), or do gunsmiths need to be licensed as “manufacturers” of firearms?

Generally, a person engaged in gunsmithing requires only a dealer’s license (type 01). There are circumstances in which a gunsmith might require a manufacturing license. Generally, a person should obtain a license as a manufacturer of firearms if the person is: 1. performing operations which create firearms or alter firearms (in the case of alterations, the work is not being performed at the request of customers, rather the person who is altering the firearms is purchasing them, making the changes, and then reselling them), 2. is performing the operations as a regular course of business or trade, and 3. is performing the operations for the purpose of sale or distribution of the firearms. (see http://www.atf.gov/firearms/firearmstech/071907firearms_manufacturing_scenarios.pdf ).

Edited by Frogfoot

Under the "latest guess" i think you would call it. Anyone doing a profile change is manufacturing.

Just an 01 liscense can get into troube just cutting off an old Mauser stock, or putting new sights on a 1911.

The writing is on the wall, so to speak, for the home conversion jobs, I just posted this letter from ATF yesterday. The 922R is not nearly as enforcable as this letter.........

post-2142-12530963328798_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

It is considered by the BATF that changing the gun's imported configuration back to the AK pattern, is indeed manufacturing, and unless you do one here and there for a freind, without the primary intent of making a profit or income, you will need to be licensed in the manufacture of firearms....

Interesting.

I, too, thought that just being a regular FFL would be enough to receive people's Saigas and convert them, and send them back out.

(I can't even imagine how bad-ass it would be, to be able to make anything you wanted, like Tom and Tony: "Meh, I think I'm gonna make a machine gun today.")

Interesting.

I, too, thought that just being a regular FFL would be enough to receive people's Saigas and convert them, and send them back out.

That is how most of the gunsmiths today still work.

This letter that has been posted is one of the more recent "oh, we're tired of our previous opinion, here's a new one".

No 01 FFL that I know of that does repairs/modifications has gotten additional "manufacturers" licensing.

Further, you will have to pay an excise tax and stamp every gun, if you plan to do more than 50 a year (which wouldnt be difficult to achieve in short order, do you really want to call your 49 prior customers to ask for the gun back to stamp and pay a tax on that you didnt collect?)

-------------------------------------------------

Also it seems if you do a few requests (less than 49) you avoid the TAX also...

Just 'quotin'/sayin...

Of course paying taxes would be the least headache... irs/batf ????

Ah...an SOT is a 'permit' to build fun(er) toys.

A 07 FFL is a manufacturing license :)

One needs an 07 plus an SOT to build, for example, full auto, short barrel, suppressed toys (or all of the above). Just an 07 lets you built guns that are not restricted under the NFA.

Gunsmithing is fun. Running a shop is more fun. Learn to like Ramon noodles ;)

Alex

Alex, yeh, well Tom has his list of FFLs. Fortunately, him having "all of it" in duplicate, and 35 years in the industry, makes my job a little easier, in that I can just say "yeh, Tom can do that" without so much as a thought. Although it does get confusing... which part of what he does goes with what, at times. living halfway across the friggin country doesnt help either.

ANYWAY PEOPLE - this is one of those subjects that comes up from time to time, that is IMPORTANT, and maybe someone can draw up a thread that the staff can pin and close into the "law" section of the forum. There are a lot of smart and honest people here, someone should be able to come up with something.

...it might not be a bad idea, really....if you look at this place as a marketplace as well as a virtual ak gunsmithing school, it makes sense to have some legal matters addressed for the public, where it can be plainly seen.....It all comes down to liability.....

-------------------------------------------------

Also it seems if you do a few requests (less than 49) you avoid the TAX also...

Just 'quotin'/sayin...

Of course paying taxes would be the least headache... irs/batf ????

how are you going to survive on selling 49 conversion jobs? you still need an FFL to charge for them.....the TAXES happen after 49, and apply to ALL jobs, including the first 49.....you would have to do some REALLY high end work to survive on that number.....which you wont get unless you have a seriously good and well known reputation....we have some of the best in the industry among us here, and they didnt get that way overnight....

and by the way, people, that letter there above, because I work for Tom, means that I might be able to look at and help you figure out the problem with your gun, but I CANNOT TOUCH IT to work on it, unless I am in Ohio, with Tom in the room, telling me what to do. This is why I have refused so many inquires to work on people's stuff. And yes, I am saying that outright and truthfully, to cover my own ass.....