Sling set up on the S-12?

With my 2 point sling, my shoulder transitions are really quick. Mainly because I already have the sling off the shoulder and just hanging. If I needed to shoulder the weapon from the non-dominant side while the Saiga was still slung over that shoulder, it's a simple matter of just rolling the buttplate into the shoulder and using my other hand to work the trigger.

Transition to pistol or SMG (if I owned one) is very quick since I just toss the Saiga over my head and onto my back. The 2 point sling is great for this IMO. Note, I like to carry my pistol in the appendix position, so it's already a fast draw. If I were going to transition to something using a single point sling hanging on my dominant side, the "over the head toss" works fine too.

I suppose I should note that my shotgun with a 2 point sling rides muzzle down on my non dominant shoulder, but a rifle would run muzzle up on my dominant side (if using a 2 point). If using a shorter weapon like an SMG or short barrelled weapon, that would probably use a single point.

Corbin

I ended up making my own two-point with a clip that "shortens" the sling for carry and releases quickly for use. I got tired of the weapons hitting my legs when I walked just so I would be able to use the shotgun bilaterally while slung (over dominant shoulder) and the clip fixes this for about three bucks in parts.

Wow, a sling with a beer chiller... would be awesome! After you kill the BG you can sit down and drink a cold one while the cops arrive.

I picked up a Mark3 weapons catch or whatever Blackhawk calls it. It attaches to a combat belt or drop leg holster and pins your gun against your leg so that that's not bouncing around on a 1 point sling. I was curious if that'd work very well with an S12 and so set it up that way. With the S12 loaded, that's a lot of weight to be hanging around a neck or shoulder, but the weapons catch did a pretty good job. Were I taller than my 5'8 self or in state allowing shorter than 18" barrels, I might have been able to climb stairs. On flat or gently inclined surfaces, I could kind of run/hobble. I'd give myself 10 minutes of that before I got irritated and just carried the gun in my hands. I also find that the 1 point often gets in the way of shouldering. I'm sure practice would help correct this, but the last thing I'd want in any scenario is trying to untangle myself from my sling.

Just for fun, I realize now that I could have saved some money spent on slings if I had tied some rope to the gun to simulate a 2 point/1 point and done some basic things with it. Would've cost $0 and taken almost no time.

• 1 month later...

I ended up making my own two-point with a clip that "shortens" the sling for carry and releases quickly for use. I got tired of the weapons hitting my legs when I walked just so I would be able to use the shotgun bilaterally while slung (over dominant shoulder) and the clip fixes this for about three bucks in parts.

Raggio, If I may ask, what are you using for a clip and could you post a pick(on sling)? I've been working on something similar with store bought slings but can't find any way to do it that I'm happy with.

Thanks

I was using a one-point double bungee sling, but really hated it.

Even with it shortened as far as it goes my S12 was just too long for it.

I couldn't find a mount either so I had to make one. Maybe if you had it

mounted further forward?

I haven't decided on what I'm going to go with but I'm considering a

Vickers 2-point with QD. maybe?

Well I ditched the one point, added a DHP skeleton stock and went with a Larue Tactical sling with QD

attachments, I'm pretty happy with it. It's comfortable, adjusts easily, and can pop it on and off easy also.

Ok, this is what I finally settled on. Similar to Nitrowing's SA80(thanks for the idea), but I made mine out of a Winchester Supersling2+ and some spare web gear parts I somehow managed to hang onto. I like it alot as it snugs up tight across my back(w/ barrel down) when clipped and hangs at a drop-leg pistol level when loose(it is adjustable). Also, in no way does it interfere with a mag change.

For a shoulder swap, I just switch hands on the Pgrip and bring my right hand over and down through under the gun, thus leaving the sling drapped around the back of my neck. Seems quick to me, maybe 1.5-2 seconds? I realize a single point may be faster. But I found that I tend to drag the tip of the barrel with one. Might just be available placement on the weapon.

post-15573-125858019345_thumb.jpg

Ok, this is what I finally settled on. Similar to Nitrowing's SA80(thanks for the idea), but I made mine out of a Winchester Supersling2+ and some spare web gear parts I somehow managed to hang onto. I like it alot as it snugs up tight across my back(w/ barrel down) when clipped and hangs at a drop-leg pistol level when loose(it is adjustable). Also, in no way does it interfere with a mag change.

For a shoulder swap, I just switch hands on the Pgrip and bring my right hand over and down through under the gun, thus leaving the sling drapped around the back of my neck. Seems quick to me, maybe 1.5-2 seconds? I realize a single point may be faster. But I found that I tend to drag the tip of the barrel with one. Might just be available placement on the weapon.

That looks mean.

In a good way!! :super:

For attaching a single point I have found that a Blackhawk 70SA00BK single point sling adapter fits nicely through and around the Mako adjustable stock w/ recoil absorber which I am currently using on my S12. It is very out-of-the-way, with very little snag-a-bility, and good placement/hang-height for me on my 6'3" tall frame.

I like and use Brian Hoffner's single point modified bungee slings. In general, I do not like two points for CQB, nor for a stick mag like the S12.

Edited by Ragnar Danneskjöld
  • 1 month later...

what someone needs to do is make a sling attachment plate like on the AR15 that would allow for a single point attachment and simply insert it in between the butt-stock and the receiver. Done and done.

I am actually looking for one of these, and would love to know if some one has found one. I take my S12 camping and hiking, so i would like to try another sling type. Is just not comfortable to have another strap over your shoulder when you are hiking with a large pack. I would like something i can just hang from myself and use the S12 without having to take it off.

what someone needs to do is make a sling attachment plate like on the AR15 that would allow for a single point attachment and simply insert it in between the butt-stock and the receiver. Done and done.

I am actually looking for one of these, and would love to know if some one has found one. I take my S12 camping and hiking, so i would like to try another sling type. Is just not comfortable to have another strap over your shoulder when you are hiking with a large pack. I would like something i can just hang from myself and use the S12 without having to take it off.

Take a look at this and see if it is what you want.

post-22191-12623864294795_thumb.jpg

You can attach a QD sling swivel in sockets on either side of the stock adapter.

post-22191-12623864664309_thumb.jpg

Or use a sling adapter plate.

post-22191-12623866025093_thumb.jpg

Doug

http://www.randrtargets.com

Take a look at this and see if it is what you want.

post-22191-12623864294795_thumb.jpg

You can attach a QD sling swivel in sockets on either side of the stock adapter.

post-22191-12623864664309_thumb.jpg

Or use a sling adapter plate.

post-22191-12623866025093_thumb.jpg

Doug

http://www.randrtargets.com

Yes sir, that is what i am looking for.