Sling set up on the S-12?

I am running a two point in all of my Ak's and AR's but I am seriously considering going to a single point set up in my AK's.I have noticed that the

two point slow me down while reloading and operating the charging handle.I must admit that the single point is not the perfect sling

system it works when doing a transition but it sucks big time when moving from point A to point B.

What are you guys running on your S-12? Any recommendations?

I was using a one-point double bungee sling, but really hated it.

Even with it shotened as far as it goes my S12 was just too long for it.

I couldnt find a mount either so I had to make one. Maybe if you had it

mounted further forward?

I havent decided on what Im going to go with but Im considering a

Vickers 2-point with QD. maybe?

post-16933-12531246386157_thumb.jpg

I'm using a cheap, simple 2-point sling, made by Blackhawk. I think a S-12 with a standard 19" barrel is too long and heavy to use a 3-point or 1-point sling effectively... so I just use what's basically a nylon strap and African carry my S-12 when I have it slung.

Edited by post-apocalyptic

I am going to run a UBR stock and it has QD swivels at the pig nose, and i'll add a sling point via a pic rail attachment on my jaymce handguard w/ a MS2 sling...1 or 2 point availability...

just have to mod the backplate adaptor for the UBR and that part is done...

I'm using the 2 point Israeli sling from Suarez International:

israelisling1.jpg

Click picture for link.

It allows for super fast transitions, back or shoulder carry, as well as across the chest. Maybe I'll do a video of it soon.

Corbin

I'm using a basic 2 point sling I picked up from greg at CSS. I hear Greg bribes his postal workers to get his goods out extra fast...

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-91/AR-15-fdsh-AK-47-SUPER/Detail

As a added bonus its made in the USA...

The back point is wraped around the support in the bulgarian thumbhole stock and the front mount is a cheap UAG Picatinny Rail Sling Mount. Its a really simple setup, but theres no swivel mounts to make any noise so its nice and quiet, and serves its function perfectly.

P6060001.JPG

I'm using a basic 2 point sling I picked up from greg at CSS. I hear Greg bribes his postal workers to get his goods out extra fast...

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-91/AR-15-fdsh-AK-47-SUPER/Detail

As a added bonus its made in the USA...

The back point is wraped around the support in the bulgarian thumbhole stock and the front mount is a cheap UAG Picatinny Rail Sling Mount. Its a really simple setup, but theres no swivel mounts to make any noise so its nice and quiet, and serves its function perfectly.

I look at the above link. I read it as:

SLING-BLACK AR 15/AK 47 SUPER SILENT TACTICAL

SKU: SL1BL

M-16 Super Silent: 70" x 1.25". The original made longer for a greater range of application. Adaptable to many weapons: FAL, M1A, Galil, Shotgun, etc.

Wide range of application

-Mil-spec webbing

-Steel hardware

-KISS principle in manufacture and deployment

-Proudly MADE IN THE USA by AMERICANS COLOR-BLACK

I was thinking that is an odd thing to include the skin color for the workers who made the sling.

It really reads:

M-16 Super Silent: 70" x 1.25". The original made longer for a greater range of application. Adaptable to many weapons: FAL, M1A, Galil, Shotgun, etc.

-Mil-spec webbing

-Steel hardware

-Proudly MADE IN THE USA by AMERICANS.

COLOR-BLACK

As I am a walking talking card carrying moron. I do shit like that all the time.

To protect the rest of you from morons like me it should be written like this:

COLOR-BLACK

-Mil-spec webbing

-Steel hardware

-Proudly MADE IN THE USA by AMERICANS.

I just fitted my Viking Tactical sling to my Saiga... i loved it on my AK and just had to get another. I had to use a buttstock adapter that they make in order to get it to fit on the wooden stock correctly. I will post some pics shortly.

I had to cut a good amount of the sling... they must be made for the heftier american. It was way too loose on my scrawny self, even with my heavy field jacket and other gear on. :/

sorry, guys, but I cant seem to get a picture of my ak one point. I just reran a romanian sling into a one point, and sling it under my right armpit. granted, im 6 3 and 230, and square shaped. It rides comfortably about 6" under my armpit with an M4 type stock that is fixed short. I literally just sat down to type this, and almost forgot that it was there.....

if your "loop" is too long, wear it like a man purse....up over your neck.....that will shorten it into your armpit, from the pics above....sorry I cant add pics, but I just cant take one of myself with it on LOL.

heck, if thats what you are doing, put another loop in it and stick a nail through it or a rivet or something....

make it work.

i dunno how you people can do the 1-point slings. I like to be able to have my weapon secured against me either in the front or across my back.

In addition, with this sling I can transition from left to right handed position quickly as well as secure my weapon muzzle up or muzzle down across my back in seconds.

There are times where a 1-point could come in handy, but there are 2 primary reasons that I wear a sling.

1) Securing the weapon while moving

2) Increasing stability/accuracy

Granted it's a shotgun... but I like my increased stability from a standing position with a 2-point sling. And with that, my photos... :)

Viking Tactical 2-point sling with buttstock adaptor. I was very happy with this sling on my AK so I got another.

post-19886-12534367655165_thumb.jpg

Buttstock adaptor. Notice my buttpad creation/monstrosity. :lolol: hey, it works well! Bastardized a Limbsaver grind-to-fit and affixed it to the standard AK buttplate.

post-19886-12534367846464_thumb.jpg

this is how the weapon rests in front when I have the sling tightened up. the buttpad rests near the shoulder and it only takes one tug to release the strap and get into a firing position. Not sure about shorter people, I am 6'3", but this worked well for me. I had to cut the straps a fair amount since I am not very big around... :lol:

post-19886-12534368046787_thumb.jpg

One points are really only desired for folks that may have to quickly drop their longarm and transition to a sidearm. They are at their best in a Tactical enviroment, like clearing a building. Putting one om your rifle, because you want to be tactical, is counter-productive.

That is why I have my sling set up, mentioned above, so that it can be employed quickly either way!

Edited by Azrial
  • Like 1

I am running a two point in all of my Ak's and AR's but I am seriously considering going to a single point set up in my AK's.I have noticed that the

two point slow me down while reloading and operating the charging handle.I must admit that the single point is not the perfect sling

system it works when doing a transition but it sucks big time when moving from point A to point B.

What are you guys running on your S-12? Any recommendations?

I'm running with a lengthened 2 point, store bought, padded sling on my Bullpup. It works well but the extra length dangles a bit when snugged up tight on by back. Have thought about a single point, but it would have to anchor more forward on the gun and I'm still working that out.

LRoDV,

Mikel

Hmm. If I drop my primary while using a 2-point, the gun goes to my front but it is still well out of the way when it comes to drawing my secondary. I must be missing something. :)

did anyone ever tell you that you look like andy from the dawn of the dead remake?? he was the gun store owner

just figured someone should point that out

Hmm. If I drop my primary while using a 2-point, the gun goes to my front but it is still well out of the way when it comes to drawing my secondary. I must be missing something. :)

How do you do shoulder transitions....

If you have no need, great, but that is the point, of a single point. It is just a simple tether to the firearm to retain it if/when dropped; much like a pistol lanyard. The 2 and 3 point slings are all around superior for carrying the firearm.

Long ago, there were many that carried a 2 point over their neck with the firearm slung over the front of the body. I will tell you this, despite the pressure that, "all the guys do it that way," I gave that up quick! It would kill my neck by the end of the day!

The real answer is what ever works for you.

Well , thanks a lot for your answers and suggestions , I did try the single point on the AK today and it was not that bad

until I try it on with a chest rig,it was impossible to prevent the damn thing from getting caught in the pouches.My previous

experience with single point slings was from my previous job using either an MP5A2 or a colt SMG obviously because of their weight

and length it was a lot more easier to deal with them hanging at your side.

I will try my vickers two point on the S12 once I get it back from conversion.from TAC47.Now i have to figure out how I will attach it

to the handguard until I can get a CHAOS rail system.

How do you do shoulder transitions....

If you have no need, great, but that is the point, of a single point. It is just a simple tether to the firearm to retain it if/when dropped; much like a pistol lanyard. The 2 and 3 point slings are all around superior for carrying the firearm.

Long ago, there were many that carried a 2 point over their neck with the firearm slung over the front of the body. I will tell you this, despite the pressure that, "all the guys do it that way," I gave that up quick! It would kill my neck by the end of the day!

The real answer is what ever works for you.

Shoulder transitions are fairly simple, they just need to be practiced. Funny because I have been practicing this with my Saiga lately.

Normally the sling will go over my right shoulder, around my body, under my left arm and back up to the front of the firearm. When I need to transition to the left shoulder here is the process.

1). Grab the front of the magazine with the right hand.

2). Drop left hand through the sling (so it is only looped around the neck now) and grab the pistol grip.

3.) Take a step forward and transition to the left shoulder.

It takes all of, oh, 1.5 seconds to do maybe. Going back to right shoulder is the same, reversing left/right, except step 2 does not involve dropping the hand through the sling as it is already out. Granted there is a 1.5-2sec delay over going sling-less, but I can deal with that.

In fact, this is one of the things that you do with this sling when sizing it. When you make this transition, the sling has to be long enough to do this without strangling you. You increase the length of the sling so that it is just long enough to be comfortable when making this transition.

Overall, the sizing of the sling took some investigative work as there were no real step-by-step instructions. If anyone has one of these, the first adjustment you will make is the rear length. You want to have it just barely long enough that the quick-release buckle is reachable on your left side under the arm when the gun is shouldered on your right shoulder. The factory length must have been for someone who is about 5 feet in girth :lolol: After that is long enough, you fully extend the sling with the quick-release and make the shoulder-shoulder transition and either lengthen the front or take up slack until is gives ya just enough room... after that is finished, you are ready to rock and roll.

The main reason that I kept to this design is that the location of the quick-release to lengthen and the loose strap which is pulled to tighten. Those two controls are always in a good position regardless of how you are carrying the gun. In a shooting position (standing, prone, etc), or when the gun is at rest in front of you as in my last photo, they are under your left shoulder. When the gun is slung over your back muzzle up, the controls are at your chest, just over the right breast. Carrying across the back muzzle down, the controls are by your left hip.

I've screwed around with most slings available. I felt I needed one. For range shooting, don't need one. For HD, don't need one. I found that no matter what I did, the sling just got in my way. Running with a loaded S12 would completely suck over any distance. No matter what sling you might use, it's going to suck.

I'm with the surplus AK 2 point crowd on this one. The 1 points are nice if you want to hang your gun point down somewhere or use a weapons catch.

Shoulder transitions are fairly simple, they just need to be practiced. Funny because I have been practicing this with my Saiga lately.

Normally the sling will go over my right shoulder, around my body, under my left arm and back up to the front of the firearm. When I need to transition to the left shoulder here is the process.

1). Grab the front of the magazine with the right hand.

2). Drop left hand through the sling (so it is only looped around the neck now) and grab the pistol grip.

3.) Take a step forward and transition to the left shoulder.

It takes all of, oh, 1.5 seconds to do maybe. Going back to right shoulder is the same, reversing left/right, except step 2 does not involve dropping the hand through the sling as it is already out. Granted there is a 1.5-2sec delay over going sling-less, but I can deal with that. ...

Sounds slow to me, but honestly, whatever works for you. 1.5 seconds is a long time inside a building, where is where a single point shines.

However, I know what the great majority of people like myself that have had to actually clear buildings use. But who knows, you could know more about this then the FBI, Military, most police SWAT teams and me! Where did you say that this was tested again, your living room? rolleyes.gif

Well, I do not clear buildings for a living. In a HD situation I am not going to use a sling... I am going to just grab the gun and start using it. If I need to transition to a sidearm, I'm going to one-hand fire the pistol while holding the shotgun/etc with my left hand.

If I get into a situation where I am working indoors a lot and doing room clearing exercises, then I will surely check into the single point slings.