For those who believe in the power of prayer My Father could use some. He suffered a life threatening massive stroke this morning. A massive blood clot basically blew up 5 veins and damaged his carotid artery. I just returned from the hospital where he endured several hours of surgery and is as the doctors say stable but far from being in the clear. He is in very serious condition and the next 48 hours are critical. Thank you all.

For those who believe in the power of prayer My Father could use some. He suffered a life threatening massive stroke this morning. A massive blood clot basically blew up 5 veins and damaged his carotid artery. I just returned from the hospital where he endured several hours of surgery and is as the doctors say stable but far from being in the clear. He is in very serious condition and the next 48 hours are critical. Thank you all.

PM sent.

I'm there brother.

Just a word of encouragement, I have seen some miraculous recoveries while working with stroke victims in Geriopsychiatric settings.

It is like if all but 2 major bridges in a city with a river running through it disappeared. Traffic would be a big mess for a while but eventually cars would find new routes & get to where their going.

There is no guarantee that he will fully recover, but the majority of stroke victims that I have personally come across, recover most functions. MANY regain everything to the point that only the trained eye can spot the slight droop of their left side.

Expect him to be very scared as he regains consciousness. Strokes take your ability to speak at first & they cause a mild dementia while your neurological impulses find other routes through your brain to get the functions that they need to get done. Encourage the use of benzodiazepienes such as Valium, Ativan & Lorazepam. these will ease the anxiety he will experience.

Also, there is a lot to be said for determination to heal. Don't let him fall into the mentality of a sick person.

If he needs to go to a nursing home for a little while if you can not care for him personally, be there OFTEN & unexpectedly, also Check his brief to make sure they change him as he may be incontinent for a little while. Make sure they help him turn in bed frequently. & make CERTAIN he receives his physical therapy.

That being said, don't be confrontational to the staff, unless you spot neglect.

You are in the worst part now. Bear with it. If he pulls through the first part, it will get better.

Good luck.

God be with you.

Again thank you all so very much for your prayers,thought, and words of kindness. The hospital called this morning and said he had a small bleed last night but is still hanging in there. His left side was completely paralyzed, he could not swallow his own saliva,nor follow the doctors fingers, but he was coherent, and could list the dates of his quadruple bypass and such. By the grace of God a Doctor was driving by and actually stopped at there house when she saw the fire trucks and diagnosed him right there and called ahead to get a surgery team ready. Also by the grace of God it happened while he was still at home as he was planning to go run errands. If it would have happened on the road the situation could have been even worse.

I've never been really big on praying. Always send good vibes straight to the one who needs them instead. Trust me though....I've been praying like you wouldn't believe lately for a few people, myself included. I'll pray along with you as well. It feels strange having not done it since I was a little kid kneeling by my bed at nights...but I'm trying.

Good luck to you and yours!

I've never been really big on praying. Always send good vibes straight to the one who needs them instead. Trust me though....I've been praying like you wouldn't believe lately for a few people, myself included. I'll pray along with you as well. It feels strange having not done it since I was a little kid kneeling by my bed at nights...but I'm trying.

Good luck to you and yours!

I have been praying for you as well I was just doing so quietly as I knew from previous post how you felt about prayers. To hear that you are now willing to pray though is very comforting. I hope you are also finding some comfort from it. I am in no way someone who pushes religion on people but I am a Christian and believe in God and the power of prayer. My Father has survived a motorcycle accident back in 1978 that everyone said he was lucky to have survived.He has survived a massive coronary that the doctors said they couldn't believe he survived. He then survived a quaddruple bypass 2 years later. I will continue to pray for you and I thank you for your kind words and prayer also.
  • Like 1

Just an update. My Father is now breathing and swallowing on his own. He has opened his eyes and is talking though it's sometimes hard to understand him. The doctors said that most people with a stroke as severe as his usually die within 24 hours. The opening of his eyes and the swallowing they say are huge hurdles that he cleared. We understand there is still a long road ahead but I wanted to give you all an update and say "Thank you" to all of you who either prayed for us or gave us words of encouragement or just simply put us in your thoughts.

Just an update. My Father is now breathing and swallowing on his own. He has opened his eyes and is talking though it's sometimes hard to understand him. The doctors said that most people with a stroke as severe as his usually die within 24 hours. The opening of his eyes and the swallowing they say are huge hurdles that he cleared. We understand there is still a long road ahead but I wanted to give you all an update and say "Thank you" to all of you who either prayed for us or gave us words of encouragement or just simply put us in your thoughts.

Thanks for the update, I've been wondering about him. We'll keep the prayer on.

Well my Father took a turn for the worse. We got woke up by the hospital calling telling us he is not doing so good and that they wanted to talk to the family as soon as possible. They ended up putting him back on a ventilator and sedating him heavily for the next 2-3 days at which time if there is not significant improvement we will have a hard decision to make. He has always said he wanted to live as long as he could but that he never wanted to be kept alive by machines. So we could use your prayers especially in this trying time. Thank you.

Well my Father took a turn for the worse. We got woke up by the hospital calling telling us he is not doing so good and that they wanted to talk to the family as soon as possible. They ended up putting him back on a ventilator and sedating him heavily for the next 2-3 days at which time if there is not significant improvement we will have a hard decision to make. He has always said he wanted to live as long as he could but that he never wanted to be kept alive by machines. So we could use your prayers especially in this trying time. Thank you.

I'm so sorry I haven't seen this until now. I couldn't imagine what you and your family are going through. I will pray for strength for all.

Sandi

Duke,

So sorry to here this news, keep the faith man. We'll pray for God's will to be done.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I thought I should let you all know that my Father passed away last Thursday night. He was surrounded by most of his family. I was holding his right hand and my son was rubbing his left arm when he passed away. He went very peacefully and we know he went to a better place. we did receive a miracle though in the fact that while my Father was coherent those two days he was doing so well, he had the chance to set things right with the Lord and tell us so. He also was able to hear and respond when we told him we loved him. I would like to thank you all for your prayers, words of kindness, and thoughts.