never seen that before, but i was checking the site. it looks like it has been toned down from the original shine to be able to be sold. only 40% alcohol. my first girlfriend's dad taught me how to make peach brandy. that stuff is good and has a hell of a kick. he also knew how to make white lightning moonshine, but wouldn't teach me that one. i will try a bottle of this if i see it.

I did a little checking and it looks like our neighbors in Louisiana could possibly have it. I also noticed that the folks cranking this stuff out also

make a product call "Lightning Lemonade". Oh boy...

post-13534-1257697040011_thumb.jpg

Yakdung

:D

I've tried it. It's ok. It doesn't hold a candle to some of the real stuff they make here in NC though. I've had it from down east to the mountains. The most infamous shine runner around was from a little town near me, Percy Flowers. He's a farmer who doesn't even drink it, but made more of it than probably anyone around. Some of the very best I've had was some blackberry shine that was made up near Boone, NC. It's more like an expensive brandy than what most people think of when they think of rotgut "stump juice".

Yes...indeed flavor is something real moonshine drinkers are after. It's not just for runnin your tractor on anymore...lol.

Here's some good reading....

http://ngccommunity.nationalgeographic.com/ngcblogs/inside-ngc/2007/02/moonshine-yesteryear.html

Cobra thanks for the link interesting reading. My guess is that the folks that are cranking this stuff for the market had to tone it down to 40%.

Probably a licensing issue or something like that. I drink Patron straight and was just wondering how and if this new Shine had a bite to it.

Yakdung

:D

Well the most recent juice I had was Breath Taking to say the least. Let's put it this way, Never leave me alone on third shift at a Ethanol plant on the distill skid.

In my own defense, when you see a label on a test port valve that says 200% grain, you gotta try it. LOL

I like moonshine alot but I have had that catdaddy stuff and it is as far from shine as you can get. It is pretty good stuff on ice it taste like a flavored rum. I have had a over the counter shine called Georgia moon that was 100 proof but did have the same cut flavor as the hot corn (white lighting) just cut to much to be shine. The Catdaddy is good stuff if you want to get something for your wormen's :lolol: Easy to drink has a good flavor that's not just candy syrup add.

It just doesn't taste the same without the lead! :(

Haha! Good old car radiator moonshine used to leach the lead out of the solder joints. Like the old saying goes: lead burns red and makes you dead.

I've tried it. It's ok. It doesn't hold a candle to some of the real stuff they make here in NC though. I've had it from down east to the mountains. The most infamous shine runner around was from a little town near me, Percy Flowers. He's a farmer who doesn't even drink it, but made more of it than probably anyone around. Some of the very best I've had was some blackberry shine that was made up near Boone, NC. It's more like an expensive brandy than what most people think of when they think of rotgut "stump juice".

Yes...indeed flavor is something real moonshine drinkers are after. It's not just for runnin your tractor on anymore...lol.

Here's some good reading....

http://ngccommunity.nationalgeographic.com/ngcblogs/inside-ngc/2007/02/moonshine-yesteryear.html

Hey Cobra,

Got your still back up and running yet?

:angel:

I drink very little shine these days, it isn't worth the risk. But when I do drink it I don't want any fruit added for flavor. It makes me think they using it to cover up bad liquor. Good stuff does not need any flavoring.

Edited by Banshee

They don't sell it, but Jack Daniels uses pure grain alcohol straight from their stills to light piles of maple for making charcoal. If you're ever in central Tennessee, I highly recommend taking a trip to J.D.'s and doing the free tour. Last time I was there, the guide let everybody hold out their hands and get a squirt of their home made "lighter fluid". POTENT!

Of course, it smells pretty good once they're done filtering and mellowing it, too :)

I remember Dad saying while we drove around our county square(mid 60's courthouse) bout some of the old timers that had Jake Leg,..guess that was from lead or galvinised(however its spelled) stills it was cooked in,..any ways it was bad booze and crippled them for life!!The old timers sat an spit an whittled on the corners of the square, one time the law came thru with a pickup load of weed and I remember one of them sayin That ther would get a man Higher than that ther water tower,.. LMAO, they was around hemp all the

ir lives but I guess it didnt come close to what the shine would do !! Would tell abit more bout this but puter aint right,..luckey to get to post what I am. Dang this gets me to thinkin back,..Life in the Ozarks !!,..LOL,..what a Deal !!,..JT.

I drink very little shine these days, it isn't worth the risk. But when I do drink it I don't want any fruit added for flavor. It makes me think they using it to cover up bad liquor. Good stuff does not need any flavoring.

Actually with the good fruity shine I've had, mostly strawberry and blackberry, they use the fruit in the fermentation process instead of sugar. It's usually already a really high grade shine maker who just does it for the natural flavoring it imparts on the stuff. The natural sugars in the berries provide the needed sugar.