Yet another AGP failure due to cold weather!!!

This sucks!!! This damn magazine snapped the front tab off after 1 shot, making my S-12 a single shot while hunting whitetail deer in Iowa!!! Luckily I had some factory 5 rounders and some aftermarket 5's as well. The tactic was a classic "funnel ambush" - driving deer towards me - and I was waiting with plenty of firepower. The mag. inserted in the S-12 in picture is one that was not used, and remains intact for the time being.

Some pics......

post-8859-12606593927445_thumb.jpg

post-8859-1260659414511_thumb.jpg

post-8859-12606594367092_thumb.jpg

post-8859-12606594499273_thumb.jpg

post-8859-12606595612076_thumb.jpg

It seems hit or miss on this issue, as always test your weapon in(and under) the conditions you expect it to preform in.

I was not looking for hit or miss - I was looking for 100% reliability! Do you think the ones that seem to work now are going to always work in the future? The one that failed seemed to work fine when I used it in about the 35 degree temp. range. The day I was hunting it was about 29 degrees. At what temp. can these no longer be considered reliable? As I said earlier - I can't wait for someone to come out with a steel or aluminum 8 or 10 rounder that will be as reliable as the Kalashnikov design demands them to be.....

Edited by 7.62m43

It seems hit or miss on this issue, as always test your weapon in(and under) the conditions you expect it to preform in.

I was not looking for hit or miss - I was looking for 100% reliability! Do you think the ones that seem to work now are going to always work in the future? The one that failed seemed to work fine when I used it in about the 35 degree temp. range. The day I was hunting it was about 29 degrees. At what temp. can these no longer be considered reliable? As I said earlier - I can't wait for someone to come out with a steel or aluminum 8 or 10 rounder that will be as reliable as the Kalashnikov design demands them to be.....

I feel ya there man. I took my newly converted S12 out today for the first time and it was jamming every 3rd round. Granted I was shooting crappy winchester bird loads, but at least the factory 5 rounders fed the shells... The gun seems to function with higher brass ammo tho so it's not serious... bird shot isnt a combat load anyway. It was just disappointing that the AGP's failed to feed low brass ammo :/ ...

You still exposed it to new conditions and it was those that it failed you under.

When Cameron makes his metal mags, I'll be one of the first ones in line, But i won't be assuming they work under harsh conditions, I'll be putting them there.

As far as you looking for a temp on the AGPs, I've run mine in the teens with remington 2 3/4" high brass 00 buck. thats why I say it must be hit or miss...

If your looking for that magical 100% reliability, keep waiting, or pony up for some russian 8s. Those are the options as it stands now.

AGPs Are known to fail under cold weather conditions

Surefires are known to fail under 3" magnum loads, and i would be suspect in cold weather too...

Promags from my expirience don't work under ideal conditions

Taiwan 5rnd mags seem to work great, but are low capacity and take a while to fit.

russian mags are perfect but rare and expensive

This is the state we currently are in, and this is still progress! We didn't even have this many options not that far back...

I would contact AGP directly and see what they will do for you. I have heard their customer service is good. I have had zero problems with my 2nd gen AGP mag and I got it used, but I live in Phoenix where cold is considered 50 degrees. I'm shivering just thinking about 20 something degrees.

What state allows you to hunt with a 10 round magazine?

You can plug them to any size you want...

True, but it seems pretty lame to do that when the gun comes with a good OEM 5 round Mag. Why put up with the extra length of the longer mag catching on branches for no reason?

True, but it seems pretty lame to do that when the gun comes with a good OEM 5 round Mag. Why put up with the extra length of the longer mag catching on branches for no reason?

922r?

922r?

Again, True!

I would just build any gun that could be made illegal by inserting a factory magazine.

But, you are correct, some people do.

I shoot mine in 5 degree weather and it is fine. all my mags perform fine in sub-zero temps. Yes I still shoot in sub-zero tmps! This is Montana after all. I hunt with my 10 rounder, we do have quite a few Wolves ang grizzly bears hunting the same areas.

zero problems with my mags. i have like 5 agp mags and 3 surefire mags not once has that happened to me what rds where u shooting i heard that happens with slugs or super oo'buck? i usually shoot bird shot remmy or fed and not once have i had a jam!! had this ever happened to one of mikes md drums?? i doubt it if the drum can survive the torture test

I've just got a Saiga-12 in the last month and one AGP mag and havent had any problems here in Alaska and have shot quiet a bit since I got it. Im guessing mine must be gen 2 or later as its brand new. I just got an exciting box in the mail from Mississippi Auto Arms for my birthday this AM that's brought my AGP mag court up to 13. See the whole story in my posting in their part of the forum. Anyway, I was really surprised to learn that 10rds shotgun mags were legal in Iowa at all let alone for hunting.

I was shooting slugs (Winchester 2 3/4" rifled) out of it when it snapped off. GREAT NEWS from customer service at AGP!!! They sent me an e-mail stating they are shipping me a new mag body at no charge!!! There IS still a company that stands behind their product, and makes it right if there is a problem.......

Thanks to the folks at AGP for their prompt reply and action on this one!!! :super:

Another reason to get a magwell. I suspect that a AGP/Surefire mag could with stand colder temps with a magwell due to the fact that the lip, which tends to break, is removed and the mag is saddled in position.

I would be very suprised to see one break in a magwell. :devil::lolol:

Are the Russian 8rd mags steel???

Nope, the Russian 8 rounders are made out of the same polymer material as the Russian 5 rounders, though both the Russian 5 rounders and the Russian 8 rounders have a steel front locking tab (Russian mags are built to Russian mil-spec standards as well). By the way there are X-ray pictures of various Saiga 12 mags in this thread.

Can't wait until someone starts to manufacture a steel 8 or 10 rounder!!!!!!!!!!!

I was not looking for hit or miss - I was looking for 100% reliability!...........- I can't wait for someone to come out with a steel or aluminum 8 or 10 rounder that will be as reliable as the Kalashnikov design demands them to be.....

Well in terms of durability I don't think anyone would dispute that currently the most durable Saiga 12 mags are the Russian 5 & 8 rounders, and of course the MD-20 drum, and don't forget that Cameron's steel mags and Mike D.'s polymer double-stack mags are in the pipe, so please just have a little patience gentlemen ('all good things come to those who wait' and all that).

Edited by Frogfoot
  • Like 1

I feel ya. I bought my Saiga today with a 12 rounder surefire, I was expecting to dump all 13 when I got to the range. On the second round shot the magazine fell out. Same thing broke off might try to superglue it.

Save your money, our all steel mags won't have this problem!

Washington. You can hunt with a drum even.

"I did not know that" (Johnny Carson Voice)

Is that really true?

I can hunt with 10 round plus mags up here in WA. Shotgun & Rifle?

Sounds like Washington State is a Saiga Hunters Paradise?

Hope your right!

"I did not know that" (Johnny Carson Voice)

Is that really true?

I can hunt with 10 round plus mags up here in WA. Shotgun & Rifle?

Sounds like Washington State is a Saiga Hunters Paradise?

Hope your right!

In Alaska there is no limit either.

Are the Russian 8rd mags steel???

Actually new Assult Weapons Ban on the way here in WA

Trust me ... so many Libs here, it will pass!!!

Im sure they won't leave out our Saiga's

Sure fixes our cold weather magazine issues :(

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/79581482.html

• Like 1

Actually new Assult Weapons Ban on the way here in WA

Trust me ... so many Libs here, it will pass!!!

Im sure they won't leave out our Saiga's

Sure fixes our cold weather magazine issues :(

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/79581482.html

So I'm guessing these Washington state lawmakers are aware that the firearms they are trying to ban are actually not assault weapons, that other states like California have passed similar laws and seen their murder rates continue to rise, and that banning firearms will be as effective at preventing criminals from acquiring them as our drug ban laws have been at preventing criminals trafficking drugs. Gotta love politicians, why bother with little things like reason or logic when BS will suffice.

Ah yes - another do-gooder group of liberals trying to make a name for themselves by taking away our rights and protecting us from ourselves!

I wish these "lawmakers" would be in a real world situation where they have to face the fact - "When seconds count and your life is on the line, the police are only minutes away....."

Enjoy this one.......

BearMtnSportsinBakersfieldCA.wmv