Anybody Used the Saiga .308 rifle brake by SGM?

Hey guys! Mississippi Auto Arms has a .308 Saiga rifle brake by SGM tactical. It says that the brake installs without cutting and threading the barrel, which is a plus for me because I am clumsy. Has anyone used one? Any reviews? If you havnt seen it, heres the link.

http://www.mississippiautoarms.com/308-saiga-rifle-muzzle-brake-by-sgm-tactical-p-924.html

Edited by bigmikefromolemiss

I really like the idea, but that is too much money for me. If it were about $100 w/ 24mm threads as previously mentioned, it would be a hot seller. The S308 doesn't recoil hard and many (if not most) don't want a break. I much rather have a flash hider, especially on a 16" S308. Please don't get me wrong, I am not knocking the product and am happy to have more options, but it doesn't appeal to me personally.

One of the reasons I think it is too much is that I had King Armory cut my barrel from 22.5" to 18", precision thread for a sound suppressor, rework/repin my front sight and refinished the area for just a little bit more. Not to mention, I got great service from them. I am not limited to just a single break and it is concentric to the bore (for use with my YHM Phantom QD suppressor). King Armory is working on future products, but like many of us, they have to pay the bills first. I hope the economy picks up and they can pick up the pace.

I like it... price tag is a bit steep- how does that price compare to having a gunsmith thread your barrel and move the FSB? If it's simular in price I'd probably rather go for a simple threading with more variety available..

Still I really like the idea and may still jump on it some day if I never get around to threading my barrel

I really like the idea, but that is too much money for me. If it were about $100 w/ 24mm threads as previously mentioned, it would be a hot seller. The S308 doesn't recoil hard and many (if not most) don't want a break. I much rather have a flash hider, especially on a 16" S308. Please don't get me wrong, I am not knocking the product and am happy to have more options, but it doesn't appeal to me personally.

One of the reasons I think it is too much is that I had King Armory cut my barrel from 22.5" to 18", precision thread for a sound suppressor, rework/repin my front sight and refinished the area for just a little bit more. Not to mention, I got great service from them. I am not limited to just a single break and it is concentric to the bore (for use with my YHM Phantom QD suppressor). King Armory is working on future products, but like many of us, they have to pay the bills first. I hope the economy picks up and they can pick up the pace.

The precision thread for the YHM QD unit is exactly what I considered, plus the ability to use other things. So, I take it that you can definitely recommend KA for this?

Thanks.

I much rather have a flash hider, especially on a 16" S308. Please don't get me wrong, I am not knocking the product and am happy to have more options, but it doesn't appeal to me personally.

Possibly this unit does incorporate some level of flash reduction? There's too little info and detail at this point. Can someone with design expertise glean anything from the pic alone? If you up-size the pic and manipulate the brightness/contrast, it appears there are 2(?) rows of three ports length-wise along either side of TDC, to vent gas up to reduce muzzle climb. What's the function of the three large cuts and their design angles on both sides?

I really want to see this on a 16-inch rifle, and know exactly how it's secured to the FSB. If it's a goofy/cheap/floppy mount design...forget it for $180!

I really want to see the King Armory unit which I pray is about to debut? :cryss:

Edited by CaptSkip

From the looks of that thing, it seems to have a whole FSB included in the deal and that's how it mounts, just my guess but for me that would be pretty cool...

See in my AWB state, if I were to add a flash suppressor, it would make my S308 an "assault weapon". Muzzle brakes are fine, as long as the barrel isn't threaded. So for my state, this would be ideal if it actually has some flash suppression to it. I'm getting kind of sick of a flame blocking my target after every shot.

Just my thought, why would the FSB be in the picture but not the barrel if it didn't come with it? Who knows, maybe you MAA?

I sent the guys at MAA a question about it. They said that the brake has a clamp that bolts around the front sight base and that the average person could bolt it on within 3 minutes with an Allen wrench. I'll definately be ordering one this week.

BOLT it on?? :lolol:

Allen wrench and some type of set screws and a clamp that can be Loc-Tite secured I hope.

Did you ask for pics??

I sent the guys at MAA a question about it. They said that the brake has a clamp that bolts around the front sight base and that the average person could bolt it on within 3 minutes with an Allen wrench. I'll definately be ordering one this week.

Let me know when you have a range report... I've seen brakes go shooting down range before(.223) and don't want to drop $180 on something like that. I'm already on thin ice with my range, no rapid fire allowed but every time I know I'm going to leave right before the last cease fire I blast through my 10 rounder as quick as possible...

Allen wrench and some type of set screws and a clamp that can be Loc-Tite secured I hope.

Did you ask for pics??

Naw, but it is the best option for me. I have been to 4 different gunsmiths and none of them would thread/cut my barrel. There is a pic on 'www.mach1arsenal.com of a .223 Saiga with the same style of muzzle brake attached. That is the only other picture I can find. Hell, I've wasted more money on much less, so screw it.

You can see instructions & pictures here http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=48367

If you have any questions, please let us know.

Did you ask for pics??

• Like 1

Once again, I think it is a great idea and am pleased to have it around. But, I think it is priced a tad high. I don't doubt that it is expensive to product, but being a dedicated muzzle break doesn't appeal to me. If it were around $100 and had 24mm threads instead of a break, I think it would do better.

I do recommend King Armory for parts & work. I only know them as a customer of theirs, so I am not shilling for them. I have had them thread several barrels for me and I have bought their break for my S-12. So my experience with them has been excellent.