This post links to a very grisly image.

Defininitely not for the weak-sisters among us.

This guy and a buddy were sighting their rifles in. One of the guns was leaned up against the 4 wheeler he was standing on. The gun started to fall and I'm not sure if his buddy grabbed it, or something on the bike caught the trigger. Either way, he caught a 325 grain .45-70 round right under the collar bone. I think it goes with out being said, how lucky he is to still be here.

The big hole around his shoulder blade is where the bullet entered and it traveled under his skin and exited right there on his neck, above his spinal cord! Just goes to show that he truly is LUCKY! The ballistic tip mainly just burned the edges of the skin of the wound that you see in the picture. He's getting better & better every day, last night he was even doing push ups!! He's finally able to use his arm again! Somehow it didn't hit anything major and basically ended up being a really bad flesh wound! It is truly a miracle that he is alive and not paralyzed!

Seth1-safe.jpg

Original story at 24hr Campfire

You cannot put safety aside for even a second nono.gif

Good link Nalioth. Just goes to show that even the best safety measure can go wrong in a moments notice. Very lucky gentleman in the pic.

I dunno GeorgiaPD, it sounds like he was overly casual with a loaded firearm. If it was leaning against an atv, the proper thing to would have been to make sure the chamber was empty. Kind of like what should be done climbing up and down a tree stand.

Holy crap.. I'm not sure whether he's lucky to be alive or unlucky that it happened.. But at least he's ok..

That's gonna leave a weird scar

Luck had nothing to do with the fact that it happened. That was pure bad gun safety.

He sure is lucky to be alive, though! Get well soon dude :super:

I once read that more people are killed with .22's than all other calibers (non LEO shooters, America). That said people have survived being shot with almost any other caliber. Shot placement, and stupid luck trump FPD's of energy sometimes!

A picture is worth a thousand words. Most individuals have no idea the devastation and trauma a gunshot wound does to human flesh. And pictures of game animals shot does not seem to sink in. Search the Internet for wounds caused by modern air rifles in the 12-28 FTE catagory. They do more damage than many powder burners are aware of and kill people every year. That would be a great picture for safety courses Nalioth.

Edited by t165