My saiga has more felt recoil now..

So.. I've been saving some $$ and slowly replacing/adding parts to my Saiga.. And now the recoil feels sharper/stronger.. almost like my 870 and I'm not sure why.. Most of the parts I added were to help reduce recoil even more...

I remember after I first converted my Saiga the recoil was very pleasant.. like something I could shoot all day if I had the ammo.. It was a basic conversion I did myself.. Parts I used were: Tapco G2 trigger(modified by Tromix), Tapco AK stock, and Tapco SAW pistol grip.

Haven't had time to take it to the range after adding more parts to it.. Here's what I added:

-MD ARMS improved gas plug (set at +1 for regular non-magnum slugs)

-ETAC medium twister puck (does it matter which side goes in first??)

-Blackjack Buffer AK47 recoil buffer-blue.. (is this the right one??)

-one of the internal stock adapters that use the 4 holes leftover after moving the trigger group forward from Mississippi Auto Arms.. forgot which one..

-Enidine Shot-Shock buffer tube

-Magpul MOE stock

-Magpul .70" CTR/MOE enhanced buttpad

here's what it looks like now:

IMG00245-2.JPG

Think maybe I just havent fired it in a while and forgot what it felt like?

Anyone think a muzzle brake can help out? If so any recommendations? I was looking at the ETAC slant muzzle brake or one of the muzzle brakes at Carolina Shooting Supply.. Has anyone done a side-by-side comparisson with these? But then again I kind of heard that muzzle brakes on 12gauges don't really do anything for recoil..

I'm planning to get the Saiga refinished in Sniper Grey at ETAC eventually..

there are a couple of factors you should look at to start -

first is the weight change - this can have a drastic effect in the lines of ounces, not pounds.....

second, is the stock comb/angle to the bore. there is a noticeable difference if the weld into your shoulder is out of line with the bore. the center of the bore should be seated into your mounting point of your shoulder. AR stocks are good for changing that so that you can shoot the low recoil pop guns off your collarbone with the gun in your face. also, once this starts changing for height, the angle of the seating point of the stock starts to make a huge difference, and you will perceive more muzzle climb, which can translate also to more felt recoil.

after that, well, balance and some other minor factors can add up to help give your shoulder a good "wang" when you shoot it.

• Like 1

there are a couple of factors you should look at to start -

first is the weight change - this can have a drastic effect in the lines of ounces, not pounds.....

second, is the stock comb/angle to the bore. there is a noticeable difference if the weld into your shoulder is out of line with the bore. the center of the bore should be seated into your mounting point of your shoulder. AR stocks are good for changing that so that you can shoot the low recoil pop guns off your collarbone with the gun in your face. also, once this starts changing for height, the angle of the seating point of the stock starts to make a huge difference, and you will perceive more muzzle climb, which can translate also to more felt recoil.

after that, well, balance and some other minor factors can add up to help give your shoulder a good "wang" when you shoot it.

Thank you BVAMP!! Yeah.. I've had some thoughts about the stock position myself..

My pignose adapter is actually slid up as high as the internal stock adapter will allow.. I figured it would make the buffer tube more inline with the barrel and that would help with the recoil a bit(guess i was wrong).. Maybe I should try moving the pignose/stock lower to get it into the meat of my shoulder more.. Is this what you are suggesting?

You are experiencing more felt recoil with the Enidine Shot-Shock buffer tube installed? I was looking into these but you may have changed my mind. Also I have heard they "soak" up too much recoil and the action suffers failing to eject/feed. Does yours run all right with it?

i mean aside from the weight/balance change from changing out the stock.. I know the stock I had before was angled slightly downward.. the weight was about the same.. but like you said, ounces can make a difference..

Yes, it matters which way your puck faces. Im not sure about the stock one, but an ETAC, fairly certain yeah. As far as stance goes, bvamps correct, you will perceive more recoil with an inline stock. Try and put as much of your main body mass behind the weapon as possible, you dont want it kicking straight into your sternum, but try and seat the CTR on your pectoral muscle if possible. Remember to lean into it and remind it whos boss.

MT - BikerYoda installed an Enidine on his S-12. He had short cycling issues to begin with but told me that after a break in shooting, it cycles just fine and that it significantly reduced perceived recoil on magnum loads (increasing second shot on target times..) PM him if you have any further questions. Ive read much speculation on the use of hydraulic buffers causing short cycling, but this guy even seems to be able to pop em off while using a BJ buffer. I wouldnt worry about it.

You are experiencing more felt recoil with the Enidine Shot-Shock buffer tube installed? I was looking into these but you may have changed my mind. Also I have heard they "soak" up too much recoil and the action suffers failing to eject/feed. Does yours run all right with it?

yeah, it ran fine! no jams whatsoever. I was using winchester super-x slugs.. the non-magnum ones..

"My Saiga has more felt recoil now . . ."

Congratulations! :up: Recoil is fun! ;)

Me at the gun range:

BANG! BANG!

"not bad, but it needs more recoil . . ."

But to try and be helpful, like Ben said, it's probably your stance more than anything.

So.. I've been saving some $$ and slowly replacing/adding parts to my Saiga.. And now the recoil feels sharper/stronger.. almost like my 870 and I'm not sure why.. Most of the parts I added were to help reduce recoil even more...

I remember after I first converted my Saiga the recoil was very pleasant.. like something I could shoot all day if I had the ammo.. It was a basic conversion I did myself.. Parts I used were: Tapco G2 trigger(modified by Tromix), Tapco AK stock, and Tapco SAW pistol grip.

Haven't had time to take it to the range after adding more parts to it.. Here's what I added:

-MD ARMS improved gas plug (set at +1 for regular non-magnum slugs)

-ETAC medium twister puck (does it matter which side goes in first??)

-Blackjack Buffer AK47 recoil buffer-blue.. (is this the right one??)

-one of the internal stock adapters that use the 4 holes leftover after moving the trigger group forward from Mississippi Auto Arms.. forgot which one..

-Enidine Shot-Shock buffer tube

-Magpul MOE stock

-Magpul .70" CTR/MOE enhanced buttpad

here's what it looks like now:

IMG00245-2.JPG

Think maybe I just havent fired it in a while and forgot what it felt like?

Anyone think a muzzle brake can help out? If so any recommendations? I was looking at the ETAC slant muzzle brake or one of the muzzle brakes at Carolina Shooting Supply.. Has anyone done a side-by-side comparisson with these? But then again I kind of heard that muzzle brakes on 12gauges don't really do anything for recoil..

I'm planning to get the Saiga refinished in Sniper Grey at ETAC eventually..

Does your gun have the standard factory 3 port configuration? Has it been modified in any way? Have you tried it with the factory puck reinstalled? And, what gas setting are you currently using?

WS

position of your gas valve makes a big difference. I've accidentally left the valve on a higher setting and it was punishing on my shoulder. Check you're gas settings just to be safe.....

+1

The gas plug should be set for the lowest setting that allow the gun to successfully eject the shells. If it is ejecting at the setting you are currently on back it down a notch and see if it will still eject the shells. If it does eject the shells on a lower setting you should feel the recoil difference with your shoulder. Continue backing down to a lower setting until the shells will not eject, then click it up one more notch and you are done. On the right settings the recoil should not be punishing you, that much. I'm assuming you are using the same ammo every time?

The flat side of the twister puck faces the shooter.

Edited by Juice

Me at the gun range:

BANG! BANG!

Well, then, my friend, you need to come over and shoot a few rounds through the Ruger Number 1 chambered in .416 Remington Magnum... If thats not enough, I will unscrew the brake on the .50 BMG... if THAT doesnt do it for you, the only other thing I can offer... is a few boxes of 3" magnum 12 gauge "buckhammers" through my mossberg 500... I have never fired ANYTHING that kicked as hard as THOSE did... :eek: After two rounds, I am talking honest to goodness SEVERE PAIN! :(

:smoke:

More recoil? Easy! Buy an H&R or NEF 10GA single shot. Have it chopped down to an 8" SBS (papered and properly taxed of course :) )Load a 10ga slug or turkey load, then, after you fire it, call us when your collarbone heals up.

Thanks for all your replies!

I think for now i'll try sliding the stock as far down as the the receiver block allows and try that out. Maybe repositioning the stock will make it fit more into the meat of my shoulder.. I'll take a short trip to the range tomorrow morning or next week... Too bad I get off of work at 7AM, gotta work on renovating my place a bit, then gotta meet up with some friends for dinner tomorrow.. Well, getting off of work at 7 isnt bad, I can get to the range when it opens and get a point without waiting.. it's the other stuff keeping me from going to the range.. life can be so difficult.. ha!

As far as the gas ports.. when I unscrew the gas plug I count 4 holes.. reshaped a paper clip and was able to stick it in the holes.. i didnt do any work on those, it was like that when i got it.

For the gas setting I set it to -1 first.. it worked for a few rounds then had an FTE.. then adjusted it to +1 and had no problems with ejections after that..

But yeah I'll update this after my adjusting the stock and visiting the range =)

Turn down your gas, and also make sure you get the plug screwed in all the way if your using the gunfixer plug from MD arms.

Start with the lowest setting and work your way up till the gun runs good.

With the winchester super x standard slugs I like to run my Gas with the 1 setting, if it still hurts, try the -1 to see if it still runs good.

My threads were also dirty, I thought it went all the way in, but a little clp on the threads and I got it in an extra full turn, it made a big difference on the gas settings!

lowering the stock height worked! i was only shooting it from the bench the last time too.. but after repositioning the stock everything felt great!

just for kicks tried shooting the saiga 12 standing, my friend and i both shot it and the recoil felt even lighter than shooting it from the bench.

i wonder if a slightly down-angled pignose adapter would be better than the current straight ones available..

now to look at muzzle brakes.. heh.. has anyone done a comparison with the available muzzle brakes?

thank you everyone for your suggestions!!!

I would be like to know what brakes out there are good, I was looking at the chaos brake, but I had not heard anyone talk about how good it might be.

So I just bought one of his rails for now. :)

I can't wait for it to get here. :super:

I would be like to know what brakes out there are good, I was looking at the chaos brake, but I had not heard anyone talk about how good it might be.

So I just bought one of his rails for now. :)

I can't wait for it to get here. :super:

I've heard nothing but good from everything chaos makes. But muzzle brakes in general don't have much (if any) effect on shotguns.

Me at the gun range:

BANG! BANG!

Well, then, my friend, you need to come over and shoot a few rounds through the Ruger Number 1 chambered in .416 Remington Magnum... If thats not enough, I will unscrew the brake on the .50 BMG... if THAT doesnt do it for you, the only other thing I can offer... is a few boxes of 3" magnum 12 gauge "buckhammers" through my mossberg 500... I have never fired ANYTHING that kicked as hard as THOSE did... :eek: After two rounds, I am talking honest to goodness SEVERE PAIN! :(

:smoke:

Thanks! If I'm ever in your area I'll take you up on that! :up:This thing is a real bitch to hold on to with 3" loads. I think I'm gonna SBS it.

More recoil? Easy! Buy an H&R or NEF 10GA single shot. Have it chopped down to an 8" SBS (papered and properly taxed of course :) )Load a 10ga slug or turkey load, then, after you fire it, call us when your collarbone heals up.

:lolol: I've never shot a 10ga before. I do like recoil but I do also require a good shoulder or butt pad since I'm skinny and there is no "meat" on my collarbone. I'm also not a big guy, obviously, being skinny, so recoil does push me around, but it's fun! :killer: