Looks like some a** hole took a shot at my dog

Any dog on my property other than my own gets shot no exceptions. I have turkeys and strange dogs don't mix with my turkeys. If you don't want your dog dead keep it where it belongs.

Nicklebon, you are a fucking idiot. I don't ever talk to people on this forum like that but I'll gladly make an exception for you.

Nicklebon,

I'd have to side with you. An owner has a responsibility to his neighbors and the animals under his care. Are the vaccination up to date on a wandering animal? Is the animal vicious? How is the neighbor to know? I recognize my neighbors' pets. Even a beloved pet can go after livestock, especially fowl. A single attack can result in often dozens of dead fowl; the attack as much for sport as food. There is credible evidence that domesticated pets can join packs, even temporarily. An uncle raised chickens and turkeys. His attitude was similar to yours. His view was known by his neighbors and they also knew he would not fault them if his dog was shot on their property. A few of my uncle's dogs were put down by him for messing with his own livestock. If your neighbor respects your property and his pets, he will keep his pets in check.

A roving "pet" killed my daughter's beloved cat. Had I been quicker (and lived outside of the city limits) I would have killed the roving "pet". His owner said that the dog never hurt any animal "that he knew of" and was known to all of his neighbors, too. That knowledge or explanation didn't put my cat back together; nor breath life back into her.

Pet ownership involves responsibilities. Protecting livestock (and pets) is a right and the responsibility of the livestock's owner. The two are only conflicted when one does not recognize the other.

Yes, pets are often considered members of the family. Their actions and trespasses are held accountable by their family head; just as a minor's actions are the responsibility of the head of a household.

buckmeister

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

.Nicklebon, you are a fucking idiot. I don't ever talk to people on this forum like that but I'll gladly make an exception for you.

Any dog on my property other than my own gets shot no exceptions. I have turkeys and strange dogs don't mix with my turkeys. If you don't want your dog dead keep it where it belongs.

Well thats pretty stupid to say, thats how most of this shit happens because someones dogs wondering around and some idiot thinks he has the right to shoot it, if that were my dog youd better shoot me

Posted Images

Yes, pet ownership does involve responsibilities. I don't believe that is really the issue up for debate, do you?

I believe the main issue with Nicklebon's comments were regarding the "no exceptions" comment. A dog may find themselves wandering onto your property by accident and it may take nothing more than a shout or simply walking out there to get them to run off. Paintball guns can also do wonders, even if they don't get hit with one the sound generally seems to scare them off.

What if the dog has a collar and tags and is behaving appropriately despite looking confused and lost? What if the dog belongs to a neighbor down the road that you happen to be friends with? It may take nothing more than simply calling the number on their collar to let them know their dog got out. You mean to tell me you'd rather risk causing a family and children heart ache by killing their pet instead of doing the reasonable thing by calling and asking them to come pick up their dog? I agree with protecting your pets and livestock from wandering animals IF it is determined they actually pose a threat to their well being, but to suggest all dogs will be shot with no exceptions is a bit over the top and not really an appropriate comment to post here considering the nature of why this thread was started.

Zach

• Like 3

Yes, pet ownership does involve responsibilities. I don't believe that is really the issue up for debate, do you?

I believe the main issue with Nicklebon's comments were regarding the "no exceptions" comment. A dog may find themselves wandering onto your property by accident and it may take nothing more than a shout or simply walking out there to get them to run off. Paintball guns can also do wonders, even if they don't get hit with one the sound generally seems to scare them off.

What if the dog has a collar and tags and is behaving appropriately despite looking confused and lost? What if the dog belongs to a neighbor down the road that you happen to be friends with? It may take nothing more than simply calling the number on their collar to let them know their dog got out. You mean to tell me you'd rather risk causing a family and children heart ache by killing their pet instead of doing the reasonable thing by calling and asking them to come pick up their dog? I agree with protecting your pets and livestock from wandering animals IF it is determined they actually pose a threat to their well being, but to suggest all dogs will be shot with no exceptions is a bit over the top and not really an appropriate comment to post here considering the nature of why this thread was started.

Zach

+1.....This is the voice of reason. I couldn't have said it better myself.

Zach

Does proof of a wandering animal's intent warrant action before of after feathers are found in its mouth or a barnyard full of dead chickens? I am no animal psychic or "dog whisperer" so it would be difficult for me to judge the look on a dog's face to determine whether or not it looked lost or confused... especially at a distance. Appropriate behavior has no relation to an animal's innate predatory instinct. If the neighbors are aware of your intentions before the encounter, a child's pet would not be in danger.

The tag and collar simply make the return of the carcass easier. :devil:

The nature of the thread is more easily discerned when the owner admitted to his dog being loose in the neighborhood. How far from the pet's recognition did it wander?

As mentioned, my daughter's beloved pet was killed by a neighborhood animal. A preemptive shot would have saved the cat. Waiting for an animal to misbehave is, more often than not, foolish.

Cities have animal control units that retrieve wandering pets... no exceptions. Even a collar or a tag does not save the animal. In my town, if your dog is picked up, you pay a fine... no exceptions. If the dog happens to be in the "outlawed" breed list, it will be put down... no exceptions (with or without a collar or tag).

Pets should be controlled. If you have ever seen the mangled, scarred face of a child injured by a dog, or had to gather the remains of the hen-house, you would understand the "no exception" rule. Pets are the responsible party in most, if not all, of such cases.

I am glad the dog in question is doing better. It is a nice looking animal. Perhaps the wound will be remembered by the pet and it will give the area in which it was shot, a wide berth. If the pet was shot by transient illegals, their transporters, or smugglers... perhaps preemptive measures should befall them.:rolleyes:

buckmeister

Zach

Does proof of a wandering animal's intent warrant action before of after feathers are found in its mouth or a barnyard full of dead chickens? I am no animal psychic or "dog whisperer" so it would be difficult for me to judge the look on a dog's face to determine whether or not it looked lost or confused... especially at a distance. Appropriate behavior has no relation to an animal's innate predatory instinct. If the neighbors are aware of your intentions before the encounter, a child's pet would not be in danger.

The tag and collar simply make the return of the carcass easier. 011.gif

The nature of the thread is more easily discerned when the owner admitted to his dog being loose in the neighborhood. How far from the pet's recognition did it wander?

As mentioned, my daughter's beloved pet was killed by a neighborhood animal. A preemptive shot would have saved the cat. Waiting for an animal to misbehave is, more often than not, foolish.

Cities have animal control units that retrieve wandering pets... no exceptions. Even a collar or a tag does not save the animal. In my town, if your dog is picked up, you pay a fine... no exceptions. If the dog happens to be in the "outlawed" breed list, it will be put down... no exceptions (with or without a collar or tag).

Pets should be controlled. If you have ever seen the mangled, scarred face of a child injured by a dog, or had to gather the remains of the hen-house, you would understand the "no exception" rule. Pets are the responsible party in most, if not all, of such cases.

I am glad the dog in question is doing better. It is a nice looking animal. Perhaps the wound will be remembered by the pet and it will give the area in which it was shot, a wide berth. If the pet was shot by transient illegals, their transporters, or smugglers... perhaps preemptive measures should befall them.rolleyes.gif

buckmeister

One thing I'm certain of is you couldn't care less how the dog in question is doing. Your vindictiveness is betrayed quite adequately in your words. That's fine with me because I'm not trying to change your mind. I know that's pointless. Just don't try to bullshit me with your forced token expressions of insincere compassion.

He wandered about 2 homes away from my house. Maybe 150 feet from my yard. But keep in mind, both my dog and I were startled about 3 months ago by a group of 8 illegals and their smuggler that popped out of the woods less than 20 feet from my yard. If my dog had not been with me at the time of that incident, I could have easily been overtaken by the group, but they panicked at the site of the dog and chose to run away.

He wandered about 2 homes away from my house. Maybe 150 feet from my yard. But keep in mind, both my dog and I were startled about 3 months ago by a group of 8 illegals and their smuggler that popped out of the woods less than 20 feet from my yard. If my dog had not been with me at the time of that incident, I could have easily been overtaken by the group, but they panicked at the site of the dog and chose to run away.

Disregarding some, I am glad your animal is recovering. Your discovery of strangers in your neighborhood just may be a sign that "Charlie is in the wire". Our land is being overrun, but that's another subject. Your neighborhood has a bigger problem than wandering dogs. I would hate to think a gun was fired within 150 feet of my house, at my dog or my neighbor's dog. Houses are the backstop and people are within. In the incident you describe, your dog did the job it was bred to do. It protected its master. Its injury may be a case of it protecting its pack, its territory. I understand your regard for this animal.

The harshness in my attitude towards wandering pets is just experience learned. Like the original dissenter, I have seen (and cleaned) the mess left by pets. I do not detest dogs or cats... just the destruction they can cause. I also recognize their great worth, as in their protection in presence and alarm.

buckmeister

BTW Dogman, there is little need to bullsh_t you, as you are already full of dogsh_t. :haha:

Edited by buckmeister

Zach

The tag and collar simply make the return of the carcass easier. :devil:

I am glad the dog in question is doing better. It is a nice looking animal. Perhaps the wound will be remembered by the pet and it will give the area in which it was shot, a wide berth. If the pet was shot by transient illegals, their transporters, or smugglers... perhaps preemptive measures should befall them.:rolleyes:

buckmeister

I sincerely hope you recognize the degree of absurdity in some of the statements you made in this post. But, let's assume you were serious.

To my knowledge, you need to be neither a dog whisperer nor a dog psychic to get a good read on a dog's demeanor. In fact, most people who own dogs or have spent any time with them at all can tell you that you don't have to be a dog behavioral expert or possess some supernatural psychic ability to make an accurate judgment on a dog's demeanor. Anyone with even a basic knowledge of the animal can understand this, but let me guide you along in saying that trying to determine a dog's demeanor by the expression on their face, as you suggested, would probably not be the best way to go. There are many other signs to look for that will tell you much more about the state of the dog.

You said "Waiting for an animal to misbehave is, more often than not, foolish. " I don't believe anyone here has stated anything otherwise. In fact, I even suggested some additional methods to prevent getting to a point where an animal may cause an actual threat. The whole point is to prevent a wandering animal from doing damage to your property or livestock without having to put them down, especially if it looks like the dog may be a pet that got loose. Outside of legal hunting, taking a life should be something done as a last resort and out of necessity to protect the well being of you, your family , your property or your livestock. In the scenario you mentioned where a neighborhood dog killed your child's pet, that would have been justifiable grounds to put the dog down assuming the dog came on to your property and attacked. So why didn't you? Regardless, you can't make up for it by shooting any dog that happens to step foot on your property. It won't take back the pain that was caused when your pet was killed and will more than likely cause similar greif to the family who owns that dog.

You said "Cities have animal control units that retrieve wandering pets... no exceptions. Even a collar or a tag does not save the animal. In my town, if your dog is picked up, you pay a fine... no exceptions. If the dog happens to be in the "outlawed" breed list, it will be put down... no exceptions (with or without a collar or tag). " With all due respect, that has nothing to do with making a statement that any and all wandering dogs on your property will be executed no exceptions. I hope you can understand the difference. Animal Control has a job to do and abides by preset parameters and regulations. You have your best judgment to go by.

Hello

Well, you won't find a more diehard dog lover than me, nor a dog owner more willing to defend his pooches pretty much no matter what.

However, there is a certain amount of responsibility attached to that. Fact is, my dog is loose and wanders into your domain, you likely have every right to shoot him/her. Can't say I would agree with that ethically, but if my livestock of family's safety were at stake it would be a no-brainer. Real issue there would be the dog owner. It's their job to see that those circumstances don't arise. You owe that both to your dog and to your neighbors. If it's a recurring issue, maybe the owner needs an assfull of birdshot.

On the other hand, some sumbitch comes on MY DOG'S turf and want to fuck with him.....Well, that's why we have the Castle Doctrine in Texas.

JMHO....

Respectfully,

guido

+1

When I had a German Shepard "Harley" I found that the electronic fences and variable power shock collars work great. Electric Dog Fence

"But it's not humane."

Bullshit. You know how I tested it? I set up the fence and strapped the collar to my neck and walked to the fence. The one I got starts as a tingle, like rubbing your feet on the carpet and touching something metal. From there it has six more settings before it feels like a cattle prod on your neck.

The "fence" comes as a ribbon, or ground line that can be buried. You can set the range so the shock starts low at 20 feet and hits max within 10. That's like using a 10 foot tall electric fence. The line can be plugged in to the house or use a solar panel and chargeable cells.

Just swap the 9V battery in the collar once a month.

Generally the pet learns to stay back from the property line, and even if the collar is remover the pet will refuse to go near that invisible fence.

Bottom line.

There is no excuse for your pet to be in my yard, other than you just don't give a shit. I will take care of unwanted pets.

That said, everyone around me knows my opinion on "pet control" and in the 10 years I've held a Montana address I haven't had to shoot any pets yet.

Hello

DLT, I'm very glad your dogger suffered no more damage than he did. He is handsome, noble fellow.

If the assmunch that shot him is, in fact, an "illegal transient", let's not lose sight of the fact that the sumbitch was/is trespassing on ALL OF OUR's turf, not just Max's.

I hope Max chewed his scrotum off before he got away.

Respectfully,

guido

Bottom line.

There is no excuse for your pet to be in my yard, other than you just don't give a shit. I will take care of unwanted pets.

That said, everyone around me knows my opinion on "pet control" and in the 10 years I've held a Montana address I haven't had to shoot any pets yet.

C'mon, Kris. If it's something that goes on frequently then, yeah, the owners could probably care less which is an issue that needs to be taken care of. But if it's a one time thing and someone's dog happens to get loose / jump a fence / run through the electric fence barrier and come into your yard I doubt it has to due with the owners not giving a shit. I've had dogs on my property before. Called the owners and they were very apologetic to the fact that their dog got out and thanked me for calling them. It's never happened since. I eliminated a problem without having to kill someone's pet and increased the trust factor and camraderie among the neighbors.

If this continues like this , This thread will be moved to political. We're marching on a grey area when people start talking about castle doctrine.

Feel free to discuss, just know if one day its not in the general section, you know where to find it.

Bottom line.

C'mon, Kris. If it's something that goes on frequently then, yeah, the owners could probably care less which is an issue that needs to be taken care of. But if it's a one time thing and someone's dog happens to get loose / jump a fence / run through the electric fence barrier and come into your yard I doubt it has to due with the owners not giving a shit. I've had dogs on my property before. Called the owners and they were very apologetic to the fact that their dog got out and thanked me for calling them. It's never happened since. I eliminated a problem without having to kill someone's pet and increased the trust factor and camraderie among the neighbors.

I didn't say I'd shoot first ask questions later. I'm not going to pop someones dog with a deer rifle from my porch. I'm going to strap the .45 to my hip and go "confront" the dog. If rover wags his tail and the most damaging thing he does is lick my hand I'll check his tag, call the number/drive him to his owner. If they aren't home the pet gets a free meal, water and a kennel to stay in tell I can find the owner. Eventually when I contact the owner I'll let them know better ways to keep said pet contained if needed.

The problem arises only if the pet is hostile or destructive. I'm not going to take my chances with an unfriendly dog I don't know. In the event of property damage I'll talk to the owner or if need be file a police report.

Least amount of force is always best but I strongly reserve my right to lethal force if need arises.

• Like 2

Bottom line.

I didn't say I'd shoot first ask questions later. I'm not going to pop someones dog with a deer rifle from my porch. I'm going to strap the .45 to my hip and go "confront" the dog. If rover wags his tail and the most damaging thing he does is lick my hand I'll check his tag, call the number/drive him to his owner. If they aren't home the pet gets a free meal, water and a kennel to stay in tell I can find the owner. Eventually when I contact the owner I'll let them know better ways to keep said pet contained if needed.

The problem arises only if the pet is hostile or destructive. I'm not going to take my chances with an unfriendly dog I don't know. In the event of property damage I'll talk to the owner or if need be file a police report.

Least amount of force is always best but I strongly reserve my right to lethal force if need arises.

+1 on this. Textbook.

I bet you tough talkers will be shiting all over yourselfs when you pop someones dog and cant sleep at night knowing you fucked up and someones after you, never knowing when they may strike, hell you could walk out the front door and get shot, some people dont give a shit, and to start something like that because your to thick headed is just stupid on your part, grow the fuck up.

Excellent and eloquent. Well said, Kris. I'd think this reply should pretty much put the discussion to bed, and we can wish the OP the best of luck and our prayers (for the praying bunch on here) that his dog heal quickly with no ill effects.

Excellent and eloquent. Well said, Kris. I'd think this reply should pretty much put the discussion to bed, and we can wish the OP the best of luck and our prayers (for the praying bunch on here) that his dog heal quickly with no ill effects.

I second the motion.:super:

Just got back from the Vet and it looks like my dog took a round at a flat angle right on the crown on his head. At first I thought he had been in a fight and had lacerations, but after we shaved his head (that was not easy being how he is a BIG German Shepherd)it was pretty clear that some a-hole fired a round at him. Looks like the bullet skirted the skull and exited out under his ear. It left a nasty looking gash but the Vet said he needed to heal from the inside out, so he cleaned the wounds out, gave him a shot for pain and one anti biotic and he sent me home with 4 pills per day plus a powder anti biotic for the wounds. I have to clean the wounds with peroxide every morning and then powder them. I already reported it to the police chief. He figures it was probably a smuggler that got spooked by him and shot him (I live next the the Rio Grande River). Anyway, the dog looks like he will recover, but again, what kind of an A-Hole shoots a dog?

This is sad and I hope he is doing good. And I also hope you get the chance to move from south Texas, I was in El paso this past summer for a wedding and I could not wait to leave. That place is like a war zone in the USA.

• Like 1

Buckmeister,

'No one ever said dogs are always perfectly predictable, just that there are ways to determine demeanor so to not immediately jump to conclusions and unnecessarily overreact. It should be noted that dealing with animals on their territory is something entirely different as defensive instincts can often come into play. However, so to not veer off topic, the issue at hand was regarding the statement that any animal will be shot with no exceptions. I believe that to be a bit over the top and probably not appropriate for this thread considering what happened to DLT's dog. Many tend to comply with this notion, you however do not. The scenario KrisFox depicted would probably be the best way to handle the situation should an animal come on to your property, but hey it's your property and you can kill as many trespassing dogs as you like. We'll just have to agree to disagree ... but have fun with that. Judging from many of the other comments here there aren't many people taking kindly to that type of mindset. As for me, I won't be posting on this issue or in this thread any longer.

DLT,

I'm hoping for a quick and full recovery for your dog, he sure is a good looking pup :).

-Zach

For the OP: A neighborhood meeting and watch could rescue your neighborhood from the smugglers. Discover the owner of the "woods" and get his permission to patrol them. Set up watches and monitor the area. Report trespassers and the suspicious to authorities. All of this is probably redundant. Stay safe.

buckmeister

You must have no idea what goes on along the border. If the miltary force border police that is flying over head nonstop and the police everywhere can't stop them you think a local will with his gun alone will? The smuggalers are watching everything on the US side just like our police watch's them. And if the OP tries to do big things to stop it and slow anyone down he will be made an example of by the smuggalers for the rest of the neighborhood. They will not even need to cross that not so wide river to deal with anyone in his neighborhood they live so close to Mexico.

For the OP: A neighborhood meeting and watch could rescue your neighborhood from the smugglers. Discover the owner of the "woods" and get his permission to patrol them. Set up watches and monitor the area. Report trespassers and the suspicious to authorities. All of this is probably redundant. Stay safe.

buckmeister

You must have no idea what goes on along the border. If the military force border police that is flying over head nonstop and the police everywhere can't stop them you think a local will with his gun alone will? The smugglers are watching everything on the US side just like our police watch's them. And if the OP tries to do big things to stop it and slow anyone down he will be made an example of by the smugglers for the rest of the neighborhood. They will not even need to cross that not so wide river to deal with anyone in his neighborhood they live so close to Mexico.

Fixed the spelling

And a person who lives far removed in PA does?

The was a movement (the minutemen) which did just as I suggested. They coordinated with the Border Patrol. But it seems their positioning as well as that of the BP was routinely "leaked" to the smugglers, who simply avoided the monitored areas. Published maps were reported found on illegals. I was not suggesting a on-man op, but a neighborhood effort. If a crossing is witnessed and called in, how is the smuggler to know who phoned in the report? It beats "rolling over". Such an effort may bring a whole neighborhood together and is empowering. Such are the aims of the yearly block parties sponsored by the local PD. Raids into the US prompted military intervention, in the past. Perhaps it is again time to act. But this belongs in a different thread.

As with another poster, nuf said on this.

buckmeister

You must have no idea what goes on along the border. If the military force border police that is flying over head nonstop and the police everywhere can't stop them you think a local will with his gun alone will? The smugglers are watching everything on the US side just like our police watch's them. And if the OP tries to do big things to stop it and slow anyone down he will be made an example of by the smugglers for the rest of the neighborhood. They will not even need to cross that not so wide river to deal with anyone in his neighborhood they live so close to Mexico.

Fixed the spelling

And a person who lives far removed in PA does?

The was a movement (the minutemen) which did just as I suggested. They coordinated with the Border Patrol. But it seems their positioning as well as that of the BP was routinely "leaked" to the smugglers, who simply avoided the monitored areas. Published maps were reported found on illegals. I was not suggesting a on-man op, but a neighborhood effort. If a crossing is witnessed and called in, how is the smuggler to know who phoned in the report? It beats "rolling over". Such an effort may bring a whole neighborhood together and is empowering. Such are the aims of the yearly block parties sponsored by the local PD. Raids into the US prompted military intervention, in the past. Perhaps it is again time to act. But this belongs in a different thread.

As with another poster, nuf said on this.

YES

I was in Elpaso for a week this year and I seen with my own eye's what goes on in that area. I did not fly into Elpaso to watch stranger's get married. I know a dozen are more people who live in Elpaso and who are in the army and stationed in Elpaso. So I think I have a good idea on what happens in that city.

You said get permission and patrol the area, nuff said. :wacko:

Edited by havok

Okay, for those of you not familiar with South Texas, this is brush land. Hot as hell brush land. My neighborhood ends at the Rio Grande River. My south yard ends only a stones throw from the river. We have border patrol cruising my neighborhood on an hourly basis. We have border patrol helicopters flying overhead all night. We even have Orion reconnaissance aircraft buzz over from time to time listening in on the Mexicans. I have seen everything and anything any of you can imagine happen in my neighborhood. From firefights to flaming vehicles. Arabs, Indians, Russians, Chechnyans, South Americans, Canadians, Chinese, Vietnamese, Africans, Haitians....you name it, they've caught them in my neighborhood. Everything from guys looking for work to wanted murderers, child molesters, terrorists, foreign military and gang members. So why don't I leave? BECAUSE THIS IS MY COUNTRY, AND MY HOUSE. I know many of you probably don't believe half of what I have written, but just ask anyone you know that is in Border Patrol just how bad things are down here and they will tell you. The local cities don't want the national media knowing about this because it's bad for tourism and the local economy, but I'll tell you guys. This is the real world that I live in. I sleep with my AK on my side of the bed and with my AR on the other side. Both my wife and I have CHL's and carry. We even have an emergency drill in place that we rehears with our kids in the event of a home invasion. Why do you think I chose a German Shepherd as a pet? Cuteness? No, I needed a sentry. A dog that would guard my home and family. The few times I've lent him out for stud, I don't sleep well at night because I don't have my "alarm" outside.

Okay, I know I'm ranting, but I just wanted you guys to know what we experience down here on a daily basis. Also, for those of you praying, Max is doing great. He is back to his normal self and the wounds are healing up really nicely.

Okay, for those of you not familiar with South Texas, this is brush land. Hot as hell brush land. My neighborhood ends at the Rio Grande River. My south yard ends only a stones throw from the river. We have border patrol cruising my neighborhood on an hourly basis. We have border patrol helicopters flying overhead all night. We even have Orion reconnaissance aircraft buzz over from time to time listening in on the Mexicans. I have seen everything and anything any of you can imagine happen in my neighborhood. From firefights to flaming vehicles. Arabs, Indians, Russians, Chechnyans, South Americans, Canadians, Chinese, Vietnamese, Africans, Haitians....you name it, they've caught them in my neighborhood. Everything from guys looking for work to wanted murderers, child molesters, terrorists, foreign military and gang members. So why don't I leave? BECAUSE THIS IS MY COUNTRY, AND MY HOUSE. I know many of you probably don't believe half of what I have written, but just ask anyone you know that is in Border Patrol just how bad things are down here and they will tell you. The local cities don't want the national media knowing about this because it's bad for tourism and the local economy, but I'll tell you guys. This is the real world that I live in. I sleep with my AK on my side of the bed and with my AR on the other side. Both my wife and I have CHL's and carry. We even have an emergency drill in place that we rehears with our kids in the event of a home invasion. Why do you think I chose a German Shepherd as a pet? Cuteness? No, I needed a sentry. A dog that would guard my home and family. The few times I've lent him out for stud, I don't sleep well at night because I don't have my "alarm" outside.

Okay, I know I'm ranting, but I just wanted you guys to know what we experience down here on a daily basis. Also, for those of you praying, Max is doing great. He is back to his normal self and the wounds are healing up really nicely.

Man that's some reasonable thought...your home you take care of business...I have heard of opportunities to be uh hum private sector border patrol...is that something really happening near you? I am glad you are prepared disciplined and organized for the area. As I said before your Dog is doing the task you need it for so good boy. Glad to hear the dog is getting better. Don't they have a nanny cam for dogs...maybe get one and see what the dog sees once in a while?

Unfortunately I'm all too familiar with south Texas. I used to live in Galveston. I've been across the border in El paso / Juarez and Brownsville / Matamoros. Back in the early eighties me and a buddy of mine got drunk on tequila in a bar in Matamoros and got in a scuffle with some other Americans. When it was all over we started walking back toward the international bridge because we were staying on the US side. As we were walking alongside the levy by the river a jeep full of Mexican police pulled up and a few of them started running up the hill after us with what I'm sure were automatic weapons. I don't know what I was thinking but all I knew was I didn't want to go to jail in Mexico and I guess the tequila made me think I could swim across that damn river. Well, I could see the river just fine but the riverbank was pitch dark and I ended up falling head over heels down the bank and into either some barbed wire or razor wire. I cut the hell out of my hand and laid there in the brush watching the flashlights shine all around and one of them found me. He marched me back up the riverbank with this old fucking revolver that "rattled" stuck in my back while going through my pockets and he took every dime I had on me. My friend paid them off too and they let us go. Luckily we still had enough gas money to get back to Galveston. That's a true story although I don't think anybody I've told it to believes me. I think we were pretty lucky and stupid. The point is those border areas were wild back then and I'm sure they are worse now so nothing would surprise me.

Edited by DogMan