poly choke-are they good?

thinking of geting the poly choke for my sagia 12.Is it worth the price to get one or not?If you have one on your sagia do you like it or not?seams to be the thing for hunting and HD in one unit,would make it a better gun as far as I can see.like some feed back on this before I spend the cash.thanks.

thinking of geting the poly choke for my sagia 12.Is it worth the price to get one or not?If you have one on your sagia do you like it or not?seams to be the thing for hunting and HD in one unit,would make it a better gun as far as I can see.like some feed back on this before I spend the cash.thanks.

I can't see it being beneficial for home defense considering the longest shot you would take inside your home is likely to be 7 yards or less. I'm supposed to go to the range tomorrow so maybe I'll compare side by side targets hit with 5 rounds each of S&B 00 buck. One on Slug bore and one on Imp. Cyl. choke. Supposedly anything more than that and you just deform the shot resulting in more flyers. The smaller the shot the tighter the choke you can effectively use.

It's great for birdshot though. Just twist it from cyl. to X-Full and start blasting out bird shot. At 7 yards I punch the black center out of a paper target with very little shot spread. That kind of focused shot pattern transfers a lot of energy on target. You can really whittle down a 2X4 or 4X4. :super:

I can't see it being beneficial for home defense considering the longest shot you would take inside your home is likely to be 7 yards or less. I'm supposed to go to the range tomorrow so maybe I'll compare side by side targets hit with 5 rounds each of S&B 00 buck. One on Slug bore and one on Imp. Cyl. choke. Supposedly anything more than that and you just deform the shot resulting in more flyers. The smaller the shot the tighter the choke you can effectively use.

It's great for birdshot though. Just twist it from cyl. to X-Full and start blasting out bird shot. At 7 yards I punch the black center out of a paper target with very little shot spread. That kind of focused shot pattern transfers a lot of energy on target. You can really whittle down a 2X4 or 4X4. :super:

Ive never seen one for the sagia up close,whats the setings for it.go from cb to x-full or what?

The S-12 Polychoke has 9 settings: 7 choke settings, (including cb and x-tra full), and 2 reverse or "spreader" choke settings, (these could be useful for HD).

It's a fantastic product and I highly recommend it. I still think it's the most useful S-12 muzzle device available.

Edited by post-apocalyptic
  • Like 1

I think for HD use I would rather have a breaching break, or just a plain muzzle nut.

A choke dosn't really net any benifits in a indoor situation, and(in the case of the poly-choke) increases the length of your weapon dramaticly.

For overall use I would however agree that a choke would be more useful, just not in this situation.

...A choke dosn't really net any benifits in a indoor situation, and(in the case of the poly-choke) increases the length of your weapon dramaticly...

The slotted Polychoke dramatically increases the weapon's length. The non-slotted model does not. ;) I used to own a slotted but got sick of the length and what a pain in the ass those slots were to clean, so I sold it and bought a non-slotted.

...For overall use I would however agree that a choke would be more useful, just not in this situation.

It's easy enough to remove the Polychoke while you've got the shotgun at home. Or... you can use the "spreader" choke settings that I mentioned. That'd make it a bit easier to hit your target at short distances by opening up the pattern some.

ymmv.

• Like 3

I have a factory full choke on mine that I use for hunting,butt a full choke is a bit to tight for small game with a 12 ga so I dont use it as often as I like to.the x-full seting on that whats it like with a no4 turkey load?

I did a range test a while back w/ a Polychoke 2 vs. a KA1212(19" barrel). While the Poly does extend the range(did a 30' test at x-full), I`ll be keeping the KA brake, selling the Poly. Notice the pattern difference, much more uniform. All shots were taken at 20' w/ Estate #00 buck. Shots taken with improved modified, modified, barrel nut(lower rt.), & KA.

4283409829_0ca05b8e00_m.jpg

Edited by Fortis

I have a factory full choke on mine that I use for hunting,butt a full choke is a bit to tight for small game with a 12 ga so I dont use it as often as I like to.the x-full seting on that whats it like with a no4 turkey load?

needed to say with a 3in wichester s-x out of a 19in tube on x-full.

I did a range test a while back w/ a Polychoke 2 vs. a KA1212(19" barrel). While the Poly does extend the range(did a 30' test at x-full), I`ll be keeping the KA brake, selling the Poly. Notice the pattern difference, much more uniform. All shots were taken at 20' w/ Estate #00 buck. Shots taken with improved modified, modified, barrel nut(lower rt.), & KA.

4283409829_0ca05b8e00_m.jpg

Your odd pattern results could be because the X-Full setting squashed the large diameter pellets intsead of choking the shot together.

I don't think you are supposed to choke more than Improved Cyl or maybe Modified at the most with 00buck.

There's also another option now that has proven to have better results than the polychoke. Also, unlike the polychoke, you can use rifled slug chokes with this option.

http://forum.saiga-1...showtopic=43443

Be sure and check out the test results on the second page.

There's also another option now that has proven to have better results than the polychoke. Also, unlike the polychoke, you can use rifled slug chokes with this option.

I like that!! I have a moss 500 so can use the same chokes on both.whats thir phone number or web id like to look in to that

• 1 year later...

Just thought I would point this out. The Poly-Choke screws on the factory threads as does the riefled choke option so you could still change to this option if desired and back.

Not too sure about the actual benefit, but I have two Poly Chokes. The first time that I ran one was when I did the recent 200 round dump video. The choke fell off at 21 seconds in. I called Poly Choke today and they have absolutely awesome customer service, should you ever need it. The gentleman told me to send it back and he would send me a new one. Apparently, the threading of the Saiga 12 barrels changed throughout the years and the older Poly Chokes do not play well with the newer S12s. I was impressed with their no hassle resolution and knowledge of what the problem was.

+1 for Poly Choke

• Like 1

I got a vented Poly-Choke recently. I like the adjustabilty. The venting is a pain to clean though but some of that may be from using cheap ammo. Shoots good with ok patterning.

Got Cobra choke adapter on the way. I can use the same chokes from another shotgun I have. I did not see his when I bought the Poly-Choke. Probably end up selling the Poly-Choke.

I plan on doing a test comparison on the two later. Using it for clays/skeet and 3-gun.

• 4 months later...