Izhmash prototype of the updated AK

Steve blogs about the introduction of a new prototype AK built by Izhmash.

The locked-down dust cover with a rail for mounting optics is featured in the pictures accompany-ing his blog post.

Captioned underneath one of the pics is this phrase: "Chambers 7.62x39mm. This means Izhmash also plan on updating their export rifles (the AK-100 series)."

Follow the link to "The Firearm Blog":

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2009/11/16/izhmash-prototype-of-the-updated-ak-big-news/

post-10570-12654270456647_thumb.jpg

post-10570-1265427009473_thumb.jpg

Steve blogs about the introduction of a new prototype AK built by Izhmash.

The locked-down dust cover with a rail for mounting optics is featured in the pictures accompany-ing his blog post.

Captioned underneath one of the pics is this phrase: "Chambers 7.62x39mm. This means Izhmash also plan on updating their export rifles (the AK-100 series)."

Follow the link to "The Firearm Blog":

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2009/11/16/izhmash-prototype-of-the-updated-ak-big-news/

post-10570-12654270456647_thumb.jpg

thanks for the info :D

Donkismash,

You're welcome.

I did several forum searches to make sure this wasn't a repeat post. I didn't find any indication of such.

The topic ended up in the non-Saiga section of the forum 'cause the article indicated that this prototype AK roll out was for the Russian Army and war fighters.

Re-Guards,

C9R

Weird looking safety...... though as a lefty, I suppose it'd be easier to operate than the standard setup. It looks like an extra safety though, meaning the original would still have to be disengaged for it to let the weapon fire.

Edited by Corbin

Weird looking safety...... though as a lefty, I suppose it'd be easier to operate than the standard setup. It looks like an extra safety though, meaning the original would still have to be disengaged for it to let the weapon fire.

That's "IF" they didn't just whack the safety leg off the selector lever entirely. . .

There's a lot we don't know about this new model.

That's "IF" they didn't just whack the safety leg off the selector lever entirely. . .

There's a lot we don't know about this new model.

I find that highly unlikely considering the front of the selector as shown would cause a FTE in that case. Then again... prototype... can't blame them for playing around to see what works, even if I personally would rip one or the other safety off to keep things simple when SHTF.

The sooner that dustcover design becomes a standard Saiga feature the better, though. DO WANT!

Hell, the Russians should spend some time on this forum site if they want to save time prototyping bullshit to stick on an AK. The tide has turned and the Saiga Forum has more AK info then the people who build it!

That's what I'm talking about!

:super:

Hell, the Russians should spend some time on this forum site if they want to save time prototyping bullshit to stick on an AK. The tide has turned and the Saiga Forum has more AK info then the people who build it!

That's what I'm talking about!

:super:

definately does seem that way.. maybe we should ask them to join

I find that highly unlikely considering the front of the selector as shown would cause a FTE in that case. Then again... prototype... can't blame them for playing around to see what works, even if I personally would rip one or the other safety off to keep things simple when SHTF.

The sooner that dustcover design becomes a standard Saiga feature the better, though. DO WANT!

I think we're talking about different things ( I have no idea what you're referring to here ).

Inside the current AK, when the safety lever is switched "on", it moves a leg on to the trigger arm. which keeps the trigger from moving.

I'm not seeing how cutting this leg off would induce FTEs.

I think we're talking about different things ( I have no idea what you're referring to here ).

Inside the current AK, when the safety lever is switched "on", it moves a leg on to the trigger arm. which keeps the trigger from moving.

I'm not seeing how cutting this leg off would induce FTEs.

With the selector in the "safe" position the charging handle would strike the flat face of the selector (see OP for pic) and stop before the spent case contacts the ejector, causing a FTE and possibly damaging the selector.