Muzzle Brake or Flash Hider?

27 members have voted

1. 1. Muzzel Brake or Flash Hider?

• Muzzle Brake
    • Flash Hider

I'm planing on buying a .308 V.21 soon and I'll more than likely turn it into a "Saiganov." I'll definitely move the front sight back and thread the muzzle to take a muzzle device. Now, what muzzel device should I choose? I know a flash hider would look more "correct," but I'm not really too concerned about this being an exact replica of a PSL. So far, I really like the look of the NDS "Tabuk" flash hider. What are your experiences with muzzle brakes on a Saiga .308? Do they help enough with muzzle climb to be worthwhile? Or should I just go with a flash hider? The gun will primarly be used for hunting.

A flash hider reduces the visible signature of the burning gasses that exit the muzzle. This is useful from a tactical standpoint because it reduces the chance that the shooter's position will be given away and reduces the chances that he or she will be blinded in dark conditions.

A Muzzle Brake is used to redirect propellant gases with the effect of countering both recoil of the gun and unwanted rising of the barrel during rapid fire. Muzzle brakes are very useful for combat and timed competition shooting, and are commonly found on rifles firing very large cartridges.

It seems to me for hunting, a muzzle brake would be your best bet,.. even though that NDS "Tabuk" flash hider does look extremely cool.

Hmmm... That Yankee Hill unit looks promising. I like the PWS FSC30, but I think $100 is a bit steep for a muzzle device. Although, I've heard their stuff works well enough that it's worth the price tag. I was leaning toward a brake over a flash supressor anyway, but if I can get both in one unit, so much the better.

I wouln't use a muzzle brake on a hunting rifle... Unless you want to lose your hearing asap or unless you use hearing protection when hunting. My knowledge of muzzle brakes is quite miniscule though since I don't feel like I'd need one at the range and because a good suppressor will cut both sound and recoil quite effecticely.

I wouln't use a muzzle brake on a hunting rifle... Unless you want to lose your hearing asap or unless you use hearing protection when hunting. My knowledge of muzzle brakes is quite miniscule though since I don't feel like I'd need one at the range and because a good suppressor will cut both sound and recoil quite effecticely.

Your suppressor is an expensive and enviable luxury here in the US for legal reasons. A good brake will make a significant difference.

Your suppressor is an expensive and enviable luxury here in the US for legal reasons. A good brake will make a significant difference.

Good brake will cut recoil probably better than a suppressor and brakes are standard equipment for practical/3-gun rifles etc. but to my knowledge of brakes, more efficient the brake -> more pressure/sound to shooter. Well, it ain't too hard to take the brake off when going hunting so I quess there is no problem here.

Edit: Oh, about the suppressors, I do know it's expensive to get them in U.S. Though I'd rather pay 200$ tax to get a suppressor than to apply for 70€ permit for every gun I buy...

Edited by finlander

If your worried about how loud the weapon will be when using a brake, then get you a pair of Digital ear muffs. They will save your hearing and will even amplify sounds around to help you locate that deer sneaking up behind you.

And its my opinion that a brake does not make the rifle louder, it only redirects the sound and maybe some percussion which causes the shooter to perceive this. I could be wrong, but this was what I have always heard and came to believe. Regardless, you should always wear hearing protection. Protect your ears the same as you do your eyes. Once you lose either, your screwed, no going back wishing you could have done this, should have done that.

Its a second gen Noveske like comp. It throws the sound out in front, kills flash, and I dont understand this part, but it alters gas presuures from what i understand to get the comp affect. I dont know if Im sold on it yet, but i know a couple people with this and they love it.

Depends on the design of the brake. Some redirect gas to compensate for barrel rise others pull the barrel forward to compensate for recoil. Many do both and there will be some flash suppression from many brakes though they cant claim to do so. Some do indeed increase the sound toward the shooter but on a 308 a brake is a god send.

Its a second gen Noveske like comp.

Thanks for that CQB30 heads up. Heard all kinds of good about the FSC so was planning on that but was just wishing there would be something like the Noveske KX3 out there for the ones who need it, those being barely legal .308s. I want all that light and sound to go out front and center, first priority. In fact was really going to hold off on the FSC for a while after the conversion and leave it naked at the muzzle cause any recoil reduction benefits are kinda negated by the way any good brake or comp makes a loud gun unbearably louder. Shot a Socom 16 like it was a .22, but didn't care for the report (with plugs in)-could physically feel it in my chest, like a damn bomb going off. figured the FSC on a 16" S-308 would be more of same, but a full featured device people seem pretty happy with.

I'm really interested in this CQB30, reminicent of the 74U krink comp. Could be worth moving back and resetting FSB, threading, from those getting down to 5/8x24 some way. Better than just a bolt on attachment though.

Off topic but just to say gentlemen, finally got a nice roll of gun money in my hand and for a minute was looking at some "free world", carbine length MBR's, more ergonomic and mechanically complicated rifles that do not need converting, and have mags, metal ones, as low as $2 each in bulk. Checked out a LR-308 AP4 and Sportical, some non-DSA but nice looking FAL, the RFB way out of price range, also a 6.5 Grendel, even thought about going back to 7.62x39 as a 'all purpose' rifle. After handling them all, and past experiences (including M1A and G3) gave the nod to the Saiga, the one that had been planning on. Funny how I was drawn to it mostly due to price and a newfound desire to standardize (Kalashnikovs are low tech but I've become more 'at home' with em than any). If I had been there to pick up the 'free .308 of your choice' contest prize, still would have been the IZ-137. The one I fondled was a layaway, the guy's getting one in Tue or Wed. Really love the setups I've seen here, that was kind of the deciding factor so looking forward to learning some shit, but now that it applies. But has been nice so far to save money right now by seeing what's available and what people think. To not have to buy 2-3 different brakes and flashhiders each in the $100-180. Really glad for this resource

end of ramble

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I had my barrel threaded and put on of these on.

http://primaryweapons.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=37&idcategory=6

Found a new one on ebay for $75. Just haven't had a chance to take it out and see the difference yet. Will post back when I do.

Well, I finally got a chance to try it out a few weeks ago and I love this thing. The .308 recoil wasn't that bad to begin with, but now it's less than my x39. Comes right back on target really nice.

Edited by spitstickler