Auto shifts better and faster. Top fuel dragsters use auto. Welcome to the 21st century.

May be so, but I prefer manual. My left foot feels neglected if there's no clutch pedal. Hell, I had to learn stick at 7, and I thought it was fun even then. Driving is supposed to be fun, auto just isn't fun to me. Plus, I like coasting and downshifting.

For auto-cross, the closest form of racing to a car chase, where the driver must constantly negotiate hairpins & really work the car's built suspension, Manuel is still king.

This.

Having spent lots of time driving in Europe too with high speeds and winding roads, manual was the best thing for those sharp turns. Almost all European countries require you to take your test in a manual car. If you take it in an auto, you're only allowed to drive an auto. 95% of my friends are afraid to drive stick... I'm like what?!!!!

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Another old thread revived! Still fun!  

Posted Images

Well I just sold my orange truck a few months back after 9 years. My new daily driver is an 06 Mazda MX-5 miata. Full race suspension and full stainless race exhaust. Its one of the loudest 4 bangers I've heard, sounds like a small plane taking off at WOT. Its just heaven on earth on twisty roads. Great fun, mileage, & price.

-EnzNow

post-18211-061511500 1280480261_thumb.jpg

post-18211-067753100 1280480327_thumb.jpg

post-18211-042018300 1280480896_thumb.jpg

Edited by EnzNow
  • Like 1

I love the Miata. Whatc'ha runnin'?

When I bought the built civic I posted earlier, it had a chrome Tanabe 2.5" cat-back system.

At first I liked it, but it was atrociously loud & sounded like a raped bumble-bee.

I switched to a Flowmaster & was in love.

I could still set off car alarms in parking garadges, It was deep & throaty & it screamed when I got on it..

I mean, it was loud enough for a cop to hear me get on it while taking off from a light from 3 blocks away & chase me down & tell me that he heard & saw me from 3 blocks away & he had to do 70 (in a 35), weaving through rush-hour traffic to catch up to me, so I must have been doing at least 45...

(yeah... after I reviewed what he stated to him in a "Soooo, let me get this straight, just so I'm in perfect understanding..." context, he let me off with a warning)

Anyhow, there was no decrease in performance, The car could be much quieter if I wanted it to be (by staying off the gas) & it didn't give me a headache like the tone of the deep hum that the Tanabe did when traveling 45mph in 5th.

Yeah, a FlowMaster isn't nearly as pretty as a Tanabe, but it was much more livable for me & I sold the used Tanabe chrome coffee-can to a fellow Rice-Rocketeer for more than I purchased & paid to have the FlowMaster installed for.

I was never beaten by a civic with a ton of stickers, cheap coffee can muffler & adjustable rear wing, so it apparently didn't decrease performance! ^_^

(Not to say I didn't get my ass handed to me on occasion by even more heavily built JDMs)

This was the Tanabe unit:

post-19652-053623800 1280483465_thumb.jpg

And the FlowMaster:

product_brand_flowmaster.gif

flowmaster_40_series.jpg

imagesqtbnANd9GcQZedXrv-buZ7gASwYpT3AiW1Heg8a1SWdmFgGp96JzeK2cIIIt1usg__YonyVxEm0kgLUSL7g-jqrsrzmkA.jpg

It's built kinda like a firearm's suppressor.

I really miss that civic. It had Weapon-R coilovers, Kuni shocks, upper & lower front I rear strut braces & sway bars, Greddy Turbo...

The first owner had really built it.

I got it for a steal at a car lot because the second owner (who it got repo'ed from weeks after he bought it) vented the rear bumper to reduce drag & it looked ghetto...

But that problem was fixed when a landcruiser like Bob Ash's, with 35's ran over & tore off my rear bumper in a parking lot when he was drunk... He happily paid cash for the repair on the spot in exchange for my silence. I called to get an estimate & he went to an ATM. ;)

It also had mismatched steel wheels, & no stereo. The car lot thought it was just a wholesale unit, but I saw her for what she was & just kept my mouth shut till the papers were signed & financing was approved.

But yeah, that car really was fun.

I stumbled upon it when I was looking for an economy car. At first I never liked rice-rocket civics, but the performance won me over.

I miss my Civi... :(

Paulyslndscivic.jpg

Edited by Paulyski

I love the Miata. Whatc'ha runnin'?

Thanks, As far as exhaust its a AEM CAI, Goodwin Racing SS header, mid-pipe & race muffler http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Performance-Parts/MX5/Exhaust.html Like you Paulyski, I'm not a fan of coffee/fart can mufflers. To each his own.

Heres my Cardomain site: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2682173 Its a little out dated as far as recent mods but its a good overview of some of what I've done.

Its going to be really hard for me to go back to sedans or trucks after driving a lightweight roadster. I would love to get a supercharged Lotus Exige...maybe someday :) This is a cool thread...lots of cool rides!!!

-EnzNow

Edited by EnzNow

Was mine until it got totalled last December by a Toyota Tundra running a red light.

post-15019-075604500 1280554282_thumb.jpg

Its been replaced by a Chrysler 300C SRT8.

Still miss the Goat. :nothing_to_say:

That was a nice GTO. I'm sorry to see it got ruined by a Trashota.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm likin the 4th Gen F-Bodies...

maroski.jpg

2002 Z-28

Gh002.jpg

1995 Trans Am

94form.jpg

1994 Formula (Track Car)

Funny thing, I used to sell stuff to buy car parts, now I'm selling car parts to buy shotgun parts/ammo...where will it all end???

Squishy those are nice cars.... I was always a fan of the 3rd gens. Easy to work on even for an idiot like me. No computers or modules to really have to worry about. I had a lot of fun with my 86 z28 until I wrecked the piss outta it.

Squishy those are nice cars.... I was always a fan of the 3rd gens. Easy to work on even for an idiot like me. No computers or modules to really have to worry about. I had a lot of fun with my 86 z28 until I wrecked the piss outta it.

Thanks, funny thing is until I got the 95 Trans Am I was a ricer basically. I grew up likin/driving TR4 (not a rice burner of course), Datsun 1600, and then a couple of Nissan 200SXs and the last was a Probe GT (Mazda) and when I wore it out and it became too expensive to repair, I looked for other alternatives for the speed fix. A friend suggested I check out F-bodies. I drove the Trans Am which had some bolt ons but was otherwise stock and damn, that was it for me. At one time I had 4 of them including the back-halfed 97 below. Thankfully I've never wrecked one...

97fbird.jpg

97cockpit.jpg

• Like 1

I play too:

04' F150 XLT

my 06' LT-R450

Cherry Bomb

Yoshi Pipe

CRJ lowering kit for TT racing 032.gif

Duros for TT racing:

Wiseco Piston:

Not pictured, trinity air intake

Edited by AZG
  • Like 1

I'll play...

1970 240Z completely adjustable coil over suspension, 12.2" vented disc all round with wilwood 4piston calipers, Ford 302 dyno'ed at 393hp and 400ftlbs. Total weight 2467lbs. Do the math.

holy shit!! theres a guy here with a 260 with a small block. got to be one hell of a ride. 240 is in my top 10 favorites.

My daily driver for 3/4 of the year is Agnes here:

1980 KZ650 (f1 frame series) It has bubba'd high flow exhaust, probably larger jets and about 10k on the clock. Runs great, has perfect compression and seems to make a lot better power than stock.

post-17871-0-41452800-1335838977_thumb.jpg

I've redone the seat since this picture, but in the same style.

I'd like to do a cafe looking seat, and remove the back fender or something along those lines. Maybe add a rearset that is linked to the standard controls so that I can still sit upright and lay forward.

My idiot former neighbor backed into it about a month ago and drove off. Broke off the mirror mount and scuffed the engine guards.

I am trying to decide whether to buy new mirrors of about the same type or go for bar-end mirrors. The visibility is currently perfect, but they detract from the looks IMO.

I just ordered the parts to modernize the headlight, and I rigged a quick swappable windsheild for trips. She needs taller gearing, because a prior owner chose sprocket ratios shorter than what the people who drag race these use. 70 mph currently = 7,000 RPM. Redline is at 9k....

post-17871-0-09123000-1335839169_thumb.jpg

post-17871-0-65099800-1335839799_thumb.jpg

Agnes is what got me thinking I should do an Apocalypta-party. That was a lot of fun. Here's my little brother, and my cousin (Salt). I know they aren't vehicles. sue me.

post-17871-0-97081800-1335839639_thumb.jpg

post-17871-0-64541700-1335839662_thumb.jpg

post-17871-0-42974200-1335839710_thumb.jpg

My car is a 2000 Mazda Protege ES with the bigger 1.8 and 5 speed. Tokico sport suspension, slightly better breaks, K&N air filter. Custom body work done by an elk last fall. I'd post pictures, but I don't wanna make you guys too jealous.

My daily driver for 3/4 of the year is Agnes here:

1980 KZ650 (f1 frame series) It has bubba'd high flow exhaust, probably larger jets and about 10k on the clock. Runs great, has perfect compression and seems to make a lot better power than stock.

post-17871-0-41452800-1335838977_thumb.jpg

I've redone the seat since this picture, but in the same style.

I'd like to do a cafe looking seat, and remove the back fender or something along those lines. Maybe add a rearset that is linked to the standard controls so that I can still sit upright and lay forward.

My idiot former neighbor backed into it about a month ago and drove off. Broke off the mirror mount and scuffed the engine guards.

I am trying to decide whether to buy new mirrors of about the same type or go for bar-end mirrors. The visibility is currently perfect, but they detract from the looks IMO.

I just ordered the parts to modernize the headlight, and I rigged a quick swappable windsheild for trips. She needs taller gearing, because a prior owner chose sprocket ratios shorter than what the people who drag race these use. 70 mph currently = 7,000 RPM. Redline is at 9k....

post-17871-0-09123000-1335839169_thumb.jpg

post-17871-0-65099800-1335839799_thumb.jpg

Agnes is what got me thinking I should do an Apocalypta-party. That was a lot of fun. Here's my little brother, and my cousin (Salt). I know they aren't vehicles. sue me.

post-17871-0-97081800-1335839639_thumb.jpg

post-17871-0-64541700-1335839662_thumb.jpg

post-17871-0-42974200-1335839710_thumb.jpg

My car is a 2000 Mazda Protege ES with the bigger 1.8 and 5 speed. Tokico sport suspension, slightly better breaks, K&N air filter. Custom body work done by an elk last fall. I'd post pictures, but I don't wanna make you guys too jealous.

The last pic reminds of the Directv commercial "when you have an eye patch people want to see how tuff you are; dont wake up in a roadside ditch"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7udQSHWpL88

Edited by todmich
  • Like 1

Alright Motherfuckers, if y'all are breakin out the Big Guns.......

Try THIS on for size!!!!

This bad boy will beat the crap out of that firebird with the cartoon vomit all over it!!

What can Brown do for you??

post-16191-0-15722100-1335900629_thumb.jpg

post-16191-0-78095200-1335900656_thumb.jpg

post-16191-0-91399300-1335900688_thumb.jpg

I know I'll catch shit for this, but whatever....

2012 Chevy Volt (Got tired of making rich Hajis more rich; lol... pic makes me look chinese)

2008 Suzuki GSX-R 600

Gixxer 600

Edited by brandon402

This bad boy will beat the crap out of that firebird with the cartoon vomit all over it!!

Actually I agree 100%. The guy who built the car for the original owner told me the paint job cost in excess of $7K, House of Kolor etc. I'd have gone in a much different direction, flat black primer and put the money in the engine. But it would have cost me money to plow under the paint job and it did help the value of it when I sold it. Guy that bought it drove 5,000 miles (round trip) to pick it up. Go figger.

• Like 2