How good of a weapon would a saiga be in a shit hits the fan scenario?

My plan thus far is to shoot a total of 1k rounds through here to break her in and then put her away unless I need her...

thus arises the question.

If I were to do this what would be the best way to prevent rust?

I already coat her with clp when not in use, but after I finish off this one thousand rounds I will be putting her away for a while and I dont know the effects of long-term storage.

I would suggest staying away from WD-40 using it as a long term / regular lubricant. WD-40 "water displacement" is a cleaner and doesn't

leave a long term lubricant / protection behind. I would suggest RemOil for almost the same price and it is milspec.

Yakdung

Edited by yakdung

If you're talking specifically about the Saiga "S-12," I think it's perfect. Personally, I think in a real SHTF scenario, the threats we'll face will be at very close range (close meaning 0 - 50 feet). It's just my opinion, I could be wrong. An S-12 with slugs or buckshot would be very effective.

I would suggest staying away from WD-40 using it as a long term / regular lubricant. WD-40 "water displacement" is a cleaner and doesn't

leave a long term lubricant / protection behind. I would suggest RemOil for almost the same price and it is milspec.

Yakdung

Confucius say: Listen to the Yakdung. This is correct.

Welcome to the forum marlborocowboy92!

I found this article from The Gun Zone helpful: http://www.thegunzone.com/rust.html

From the article:

Despite its good results, I would not use WD-40 for firearms unless I had little other choice. The "WD" stands for "water displacing," and WD-40 does that task well. That means it is good for hosing down and flushing out that duck gun that fell overboard, at least until you can get it home for a proper cleaning. However, WD-40 tends to gum and turn into a varnish with time. So WD-40 may be fine for an external wipe down, but it is potentially devastating to moving parts that require lubrication. In my experience, WD-40 has little, if any, lubricating properties, and is best left for its designed tasks.

Yakdung

He asked about keeping the rust away, not lubricating....is there a problem with using WD-40 to keep the rust away long term?

If you are talking about an s12 they seem to take a bit more cleaning around the puck and gas ports .If you are talking about an ak not so big a deal . My buds coming back from the sand tell me the Hadji's just take off there boot laces knot them up dunk them in diesel and pull them through the bore. Having said that i keep all my toys very clean .I don't long store any ( 6 months at most ). It does take about 6 to 8 months for them to come up in the rotation for cleaning .I use Mil-Tec lubricant and their grease where needed for anti seize ( like the threads on an s12 muzzle ) .Last but not least all firearms are tools have the right one for the job and practice with it till you are good. When you need it is not the time to learn .

Edited by WFO2

Yakdung

He asked about keeping the rust away, not lubricating....is there a problem with using WD-40 to keep the rust away long term?

I only use Milspec oils on my guns. WD-40 is fine for douching bolts and initial cleaning, but I never use it as the final oil on the surface of my guns.

This is just me and only a suggestion.

Good luck and be safe,

Yakdung

If you want to store your Saiga, fine. Birchwood Casey Sheath does a good job keeping rust away and is easy to get off when it's time for action. For really long term storage, grease would be best. But neither Sheath nor grease will keep rust off the shooter.

If you do store your gun, get another like it and use it to stay in practice. 50 offhand aimed shots at a paper target 50 yards away each of 50 weeks in a year would go a long way toward building confidence with your choice of weapons. If it gets easy, move the target out further or time yourself. When the SHTF, we're going to need skilled shooters. A gun in long-term storage can't help with that.

Rather than store, I use my guns in rotation.

Bob

Edited by 555JM

Yakdung

WD 40 dries into a nice hard material over time. Many moons ago I soaked a mossberg 500 that functioned perfectly with WD40 and left it a year

without touching it. When I finally pulled it out of storage, the carrier did not slide back and forth smoothly and felt like someone sprayed glue

on the internals. It completely locked up on me. Instant paperweight. It took a few cans of brake parts cleaner to get that shit dissoved and flushed.

A cheaper and less toxic do it your self rust preventative/lube is vaseline. I kept a few milsurp rifles coated with vaseline for 5 years and 5 years

later the vaseline was still working just fine similar to cosmoline. Zero problems and you don't have to worry about getting a carcenogenic chemical

on your skin that is known to induce cancer.

Yakdung

I am not familiar with RemOil but I've heard the part about WD-40 numerous times. Although the water displacement part could be useful if you are running corrosive milsurp. I've heard of people rinsing out the barrel with water and then chasing it with WD-40.

Yakdung

I am not familiar with RemOil but I've heard the part about WD-40 numerous times. Although the water displacement part could be useful if you are running corrosive milsurp. I've heard of people rinsing out the barrel with water and then chasing it with WD-40.

Happy Mart has it for about $6.00-$7.00 a can. I try and snag a can when I visit. I use the stuff on all of my tools as well.

Be safe,

Yakdung

Just plain old gun grease, not oil, would be fine the important thing being how its stored to keep water out. Most are leaning towards eight inch PVC with a drying agent with the rifle, ammo, mags, and other things one would need. Survivalist forums would have more info.

Just plain old gun grease, not oil, would be fine the important thing being how its stored to keep water out. Most are leaning towards eight inch PVC with a drying agent with the rifle, ammo, mags, and other things one would need. Survivalist forums would have more info.

I posted this link before:

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/wood115.html

Yakdung

My plan thus far is to shoot a total of 1k rounds through here to break her in and then put her away unless I need her...

thus arises the question.

If I were to do this what would be the best way to prevent rust?

I already coat her with clp when not in use, but after I finish off this one thousand rounds I will be putting her away for a while and I dont know the effects of long-term storage.

break free makes a collectors formula good for 5yrs.

here is the link to there site and product. break free collector