Finally saw a saiga with threading, dimples, barrel notches, and no st

My brother in law bought one a few weeeks ago and today I saw it and couldn't believe it.

Dimples, threading, barrel notches , and no step. I was in shock.

Oh yeah, it also had the pistol grip hole.

Edited by my762buzz

lots of the new 09 rifles have them man. i just found out my barral has no step in it and it has no threads, that was pretty shocking. it has everything else on it as well.

I think your 3/4 milspec feature rifle is less suprising than the 4/4 rifles. Your rifle's chamber is not "stepped", so you have a current Izhmash factory milspec barrel, which was meant to be used with a current Izhmash factory milspec FSB, which is itself threaded for 24x2.5mm RH, therefore the barrel itself is not threaded.

lots of the new 09 rifles have them man. i just found out my barral has no step in it and it has no threads, that was pretty shocking. it has everything else on it as well.

I think your 3/4 milspec feature rifle is less suprising than the 4/4 rifles. Your rifle's chamber is not "stepped", so you have a current Izhmash factory milspec barrel, which was meant to be used with a current Izhmash factory milspec FSB, which is itself threaded for 24x2.5mm RH, therefore the barrel itself is not threaded.

yea thanks dude if it wasent for you i would have lived life thinking i had a regular civilian barrel in my saiga :super:

Edited by BlackLs1Ttop

How do you explain the 'milspec barrels" (no cases step) and the threaded muzzle then, like Cowtowns above?

Edited by Mullet Man

How do you explain the 'milspec barrels" (no cases step) and the threaded muzzle then, like Cowtowns above?

My guess is that they're barrels produced for AKMs, (which Izhmash still makes), rather than barrels meant for AK-100 series rifles.

Edited by post-apocalyptic

post-a; obviously, this is all done at the factory to cause us to fall all over ourselves trying to figure out what some factory folks are doing, and why. No rhyme, no reason - just Russian. I'm still trying to sort out if the factory barrel threads mean one more 922r count, as in the Saiga-12. Not covered in the 922r checkoff list, apparently because there were no threaded barrels showing up until recently.

which is itself threaded for 24x2.5mm RH,

don't you mean 24x1.5mm or is that just a bulgarian threading? Mine has the 4/4 features. I currently have a tapco slant on there until I get all the parts I need for the bulgarian FSB I have. Got everything but the attachment so far.

I think they started using the mil-spec barrels in early 09 due to the mass amount of guns being bought up by americans and them running low on supply of standard saiga barrels.

bought mine a month ago.was made in 3-2009 and came with a threaded barrel under front sight block.it has 14 mm left-handed threads.use can use a pipe cutter or dremmel with a metal cutting wheel;just be careful!

which is itself threaded for 24x2.5mm RH,

don't you mean 24x1.5mm or is that just a bulgarian threading? Mine has the 4/4 features. I currently have a tapco slant on there until I get all the parts I need for the bulgarian FSB I have. Got everything but the attachment so far.

I think they started using the mil-spec barrels in early 09 due to the mass amount of guns being bought up by americans and them running low on supply of standard saiga barrels.

Yes, I meant 24x1.5mm.

can't remember... how far back is factory threading.. 5/8"? I'm planning to cut mine back that far to check for threads, and if I don't have them, I'm just going to cut again all the way back to the sight block and thread the whole thing to use the dinzag break.

any pics of the muzzle ends to give us idea on what they may look like. Mine is 09 dimples barrel notches but a stepped chamber. My muzzle end is chamfered with a decent gap i can get a dental pick down but couldn't see thread.

Edited by leadslinger

Dang! I want a No-Step so bad! But buying a third x39 Saiga to get one is like playing the lottery. Tried going the SGL route when K-Var had the sale. No dice, they don't ship to NY.

I'd love to develop some handloads for a 7.62x39 Saiga. But might as well leave the brass lying on the ground as shoot it in a stepped chamber. It's got me looking at Mini-30s again. Hope it doesn't come to that.

Bob

Edited by 555JM

Dang! I want a No-Step so bad! But buying a third x39 Saiga to get one is like playing the lottery. Tried going the SGL route when K-Var had the sale. No dice, they don't ship to NY.

I'd love to develop some handloads for a 7.62x39 Saiga. But might as well leave the brass lying on the ground as shoot it in a stepped chamber. It's got me looking at Mini-30s again. Hope it doesn't come to that.

Bob

BTW people have claimed they have reloaded 7.62 brass from a stepped barrel.

Bob

BTW people have claimed they have reloaded 7.62 brass from a stepped barrel.

I shot some brass cased reloads I had made up for a previously owned Mini-30 in my stepped neck Saigas. As I recall, nearly half of the cases recovered had badly cracked necks. Posted on here about it somewhere. Some did survive one firing intact, however. Fresh brass would probably fare better as the brass wouldn't be work hardened at all to begin with.

I figure you might get two firings in a stepped chamber out of a brass case. What gets blown out at the neck due to the step, would be pushed back to spec. by the sizing die. A couple of iterations of that and the brass is work hardened to where it'll crack.

Was going to look into annealing the necks after firing, but it looks like too much trouble and more potential for dangerous mistakes.

If someone, like Lee, started producing sizing dies that incorporated a step which didn't try to size the neck back to spec., case life would probably be fine. But the shortened length of bullet gripping area at the neck would hurt accuracy.

Lee and some others will make custom dies for wildcats. Maybe I should give them a call and see what they think.

Bob

Yep,

Like cowtown, mine is a 09 - dimples - no stepped barrel and the barrel was threaded 14 LH.

Thu

iam currently in the middle of my restoration, my saiga was built 03 14 09, has dimples,has pg hole, no y stamp, no step, i want know if mine has threaded barrel, how can i tell? can someone list the disirable features on the saigas with explanation on why this disirable?

Edited by storm1