Water Cooling an S-12

So I was chilling out at the range the other day, and realized that my S-12 was getting major hot. Yes I know that with the vertical grip on it I don't have to worry about burning my hands, but the barrel was getting kinda toasty. So I did some digging and found very little on water cooled weapons. There's a couple out there but nothing too detailed. Anybody know if it is possible to feasibly watercool a Saiga-12? Just curious.

Thanks.

~Jasecloud4

sure, its possible. not sure i would see the point unless it was a dual barreled gattling setup on a turret, you would need a much higher rate of continual fire to justify it. just use a barrel shroud for semis if you need it, less water to carry around

So I was chilling out at the range the other day, and realized that my S-12 was getting major hot. Yes I know that with the vertical grip on it I don't have to worry about burning my hands, but the barrel was getting kinda toasty. So I did some digging and found very little on water cooled weapons. There's a couple out there but nothing too detailed. Anybody know if it is possible to feasibly watercool a Saiga-12? Just curious.

Thanks.

~Jasecloud4

Well, unless you have a tripod/bipod to mount to, a full water jacket would weigh as much as the shotgun itself; not practical. I don't think you could fire enough 12 gauge through a saiga to even reach temperatures of a machine gun.

Now, if you could figure a way to make the Saiga 12 belt fed, than maybe it would have a use haha.

Been watching HBO's The Pacific?

The M1917 Browning was, and still is, the gun one thinks of when they think water cooled.

Anyways,

for your s12?

It don't get that hot, not unless your really trying to get it that hot.

In that case a bottle of water will suffice, that or piss on it.

I had a 1917A1 water cooled gun. Big heavy bastard! You could boil the water in the jacket if you wanted to. Fun gun, but a trip to the range cost me $500.

th_1917incomplete.jpg

Edited by patriot

Actually, this was covered on "Lock and Load" yesterday--the heavy water-jacket is for a fixed position and continuous firing, the lighter air-cooled was meant for short bursts--say 3-5 rounds--under relatively mobile conditions like amphibious-assault and infantry-support.

M1919 would be near the front in a Company Weapons Platoon, M1917 would probably be more likely found in a Division Weapons Company back near HQ.

Wow...this topic took off fast. As to the water cooled .50, being in Kentucky (note: but not a Kentuckian...lol) we have the Knob Creek Machine Gun shoot twice a year and theres a guy who shows up with his...

As to the S-12 and belt feeding you beat me to the punch on that. Why hasn't anyone taken an RPD style action and tried to run it on a S-12? Yeah I know a lot of work, time, and money would have to go into it...but I would buy one...and I'm sure others would as well. Crew served twelve guage...that would definitely scare the neighbors off...

~Jasecloud4

You could wrap the barrel in 1/8" copper or aluminum tubing, use quick connect fittings and rubber hoses along with a water can and a small pump. Awesome project - using a PUMP to PIMP an S-12!

You could wrap the barrel in 1/8" copper or aluminum tubing, use quick connect fittings and rubber hoses along with a water can and a small pump. Awesome project - using a PUMP to PIMP an S-12!

What about rust...what kind of finish would I have to re-coat the barrel with? It's a good idea though...might actually have to try something like that lol...

It would be way cheaper and easier to have your barrel coated with ceramic type exhaust/heat coating. Theres a powder coat shop I use that coats the headers, intakes, floor panels, and heat shields that I've built. They actually have a black ceramic coating that I think would look insane on a gun. But, I know what it's like to have a mind that wanders, water cool that shit and post some pics. You can do it. That s 12 would be able to shoot 3 inch magnum all day.

I've considered this thoroughly and now I just have to say: why the F*** not? Send me a message with that guys info for ceramic coating. Now I've got to go to Lowes/Home Depot/Local-Redneck-Hardware-store-down-the-street for pipes and fittings. I thing I might be able to get my old watercooling pump from my desktop computer kit working...lol...it'll be a few days till it's ready. Will post pics and vid when I'm done...lol...

You don't need a pump the water itself will limit temps to 212 degrees. My 17A1 didn't have a pump, or need one, even after a 200rd belt dump.

You won't need water cooling until you have a large enough ammo capacity, like with a belt or hopper feed.

..now a 200rd belt/hopper fed 12ga would be REALLY cool! THEN you could add the water jacket.

Edited by patriot

You don't need a pump the water itself will limit temps to 212 degrees. My 17A1 didn't have a pump, or need one, even after a 200rd belt dump.

You won't need water cooling until you have a large enough ammo capacity, like with a belt or hopper feed.

..now a 200rd belt/hopper fed 12ga would be REALLY cool! THEN you could add the water jacket.

212F is still pretty hot...what about using anti-freeze coolant mix, to prevent rust?

Water boils at 212 degrees, BUT WW1 guns used a huge water jacket to provide the MASS to absorb that much heat. A system using small diameter tubing wrapped dry around the barrel will need a pump to circulate water under pressure- 16 to 20 lbs or so. Otherwise the water will become steam and provide little cooling action. A garden sprayer would work as a water source/pump.

What about rust...what kind of finish would I have to re-coat the barrel with? It's a good idea though...might actually have to try something like that lol...

He's saying coil it around the barrel.

Water wouldn't touch the barrel, only copper tubing would.

Overgas the gun & use the gas system to power the pump mounted to the top of the gun & attached to the top of the pushrod?

If there was a 1 way valve on the cool side of the coils, pressure from the water heating up would aid the pump so the pump wouldn't need to be all that powerful to circulate the water.

Edited by Paulyski

i dumped a 1000 rounds through my saw using 15 to 20 sec bursts, caught handguard on fire, and it was raining, thers some things water cant cool

He's saying coil it around the barrel.

Water wouldn't touch the barrel, only copper tubing would.

Overgas the gun & use the gas system to power the pump mounted to the top of the gun & attached to the top of the pushrod?

If there was a 1 way valve on the cool side of the coils, pressure from the water heating up would aid the pump so the pump wouldn't need to be all that powerful to circulate the water.

Since we're not talking about an automatic weapon, let alone a crew-served machine gun, this sounds like a solution in search of a problem to me. :huh:

Regardless, I very much doubt it would be worth the extra weight and bulk it would add to the shotgun.