My Saiga won't even shoot slugs

I bought this gun a couple months ago new, it's my 2nd saiga. It hasn't shot birdshot worth anything, but that's not my concern. Even after the break-in period now, it has FTE's non-stop. We put 100 slugs through it today at the range, it had 48 fte's. It won't shoot anything. I've tried the stock gas puck, aftermarket ones, gasfixer plug, all 3 gas ports will take a big bent paper clip in them and are clear. I used an md-20, sgm clips, agp clips, and the stock clip. Same results on all of them. Any ideas on what on earth could be causing this? I'm debating whether to have it serviced or just return it.

How big are the ports, even a big paper clip could be a fairly small port? Also, how does the gun hand cycle? One of my S12s would hardly hand cycle at all because the bolt carrier and rails were so tight. It took a lot of filling on the bolt carrier just to get the bolt to cycle smoothly on the rails. If it isn't cycling slugs it is most likely friction or gas. What part of Texas are you in? If you are in the Houston area I would be happy to take a look.

Is it converted? If so the hammer might be dragging.

A possibility is also that the puck is just barely smacking the bolt carrier extension/the extension is screwed in too far. Remove the gas plug and push the piston with a wooden dowel. The carrier should move back about 1/2 inch/13 mm.

I haven't measured the holes with a caliper or anything, but the paper clip slides right in all of them, not tight or anything. You can wiggle it around easily. I polished the bolt, carrier, and hammer, it slides fairly easily on the rails. I'm really baffled by this. My other saiga shoots like a dream, not sure what happened to this one. I'm in Houston on the NW side.

I bought this gun a couple months ago new, it's my 2nd saiga. It hasn't shot birdshot worth anything, but that's not my concern. Even after the break-in period now, it has FTE's non-stop. We put 100 slugs through it today at the range, it had 48 fte's. It won't shoot anything. I've tried the stock gas puck, aftermarket ones, gasfixer plug, all 3 gas ports will take a big bent paper clip in them and are clear. I used an md-20, sgm clips, agp clips, and the stock clip. Same results on all of them. Any ideas on what on earth could be causing this? I'm debating whether to have it serviced or just return it.

what forearm are you using?

I have a stock forearm, eventually going with a quad if it doesn't mess with the gas system too much.

Hmm idk then, other than getting new gas plug, polishing the bolt and carrier, and enlarging the gas ports I don't know how else to improve one

I know this will sound crazy, but the ejection port on your top cover may not be cut large enough to eject the shells.

Believe it or not, I had one S-12 that had a top cover ejection port that was cut way too small. Some hulls would get out, but many would not.

I compared it to a normal cover and it was obviously cut WAY smaller than a regular S-12 cover.

I assure you, anyone that proclaims themselves a Saiga "Expert" has not worked on enough Saigas. You never know what those Russians will throw your way.

Tony Rumore

Tromix

• Like 1

Another member was having similar issues and discovered that when he replaced his FCG, he put the main-spring in incorrectly and the bolt was getting hung up. Take everything apart and make sure its all put together correctly.

Heres a link to his thread:

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=55092

Well I measured the gas port holes, they came in at .073". I guess enlarging them to 3/32 is my best bet. I'm trying to take the gas block off now, but the upper pin is not budging. I actually cracked the end of my punch trying to get it out, that sucker is in there. I soaked the pin in wd-40 as well. Are there any tricks to getting it out? I'm afraid I'm going to start to mess the gas block up if this pin doesn't give.

If anyone wants this gun, you can have it for $100. Just send me a PM, you must pick it up in Houston. Like stated above, it doesn't shoot anything. The pins on the gas block will not come out. Stayed up all night with a punch going at it, took it to the local gun shop/blacksmith this morning, they can't even get them out with a punch or a press. Tired of wasting time and money on this pos. It's good for parts, that's about it. Thanks for all the help above guys.

If anyone wants this gun, you can have it for $100. Just send me a PM, you must pick it up in Houston. Like stated above, it doesn't shoot anything. The pins on the gas block will not come out. Stayed up all night with a punch going at it, took it to the local gun shop/blacksmith this morning, they can't even get them out with a punch or a press. Tired of wasting time and money on this pos. It's good for parts, that's about it. Thanks for all the help above guys.

Dude. Tac 47 is down here somewhere. In Spring I think. Have them take a look at it before you just trash it.

Don't get bent. Take a step back and let Tac 47 see it.

I agree w/what Tony was saying, it sounds more like an ejection issue if your ports are there and unobstructed.

I've heard a couple other builders talk about relieving the ejectors a little bit to perfect cycling after all the regular probs had been issued.

Its a long shot but check the area of the carrier where the bolt lug rides for galling. The pin that holds the two halves of the bolt together came loose on mine. The bolt wouln't rotate smoothly and it wouldn't eject anything. The pin would rub the carrier and sieze up the action. If you hand cycled it it felt fine. I only noticed it when I tried to dissassemble the bolt and the pin practically fell out.