Saiga 12 in slow motion

Wow, those videos are awesome! :super:

(I won't lie....when I saw "Casio" in your OP, my first thought was "I too can have a camera capable of such liquid slow-mo, for an affordable price?".......going with my initial thought of "Casio = affordable point-n-shoot". Then I looked it up and see that it's almost as much as I paid for my car. :lolol: )

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As Promised   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QB1o2isrCDI

Just picked up a Cassio EX-F1   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiQzeDUbdfA   Watch the mag.. no wonder the 3" mags break the lips...   Just getting use to the camera hope to take some better foo

btw 1:07 my ass was on the grass, I was sitting on my feet and fell backwards...   did anyone notice this....  

I dont think hitting the hulls is a problem. I do wonder about how that extra weight up high was causing the bolt jump upwards when it hit the rear of the gun. That cant be a good thing.

It can be, that is what carried the shell forward to jam... I think the upward motion your refering to might be from shortening of the operating rod. Most short barrels have an operating rod that comes out of the rear gas tube block. A peice of metal has to be added to the inside of the dust cover to keep it from rising so high that it will jam on the block. It serves as a guide to get the rod back inside the tube.

I agree with your decision there.. just sayin that it didn't go unnoticed. ;) I think that the (Tromix skull) Galil style charging handle contributed to that, you could see it batting around ~70% of the shells immediately after ejection.

Yup, I was going to add one to my S12 until I saw it hitting those hulls like that.

You should be alright to have one. I have seen the factory handle do the exact same thing (not quite as slowly though, lol). The galil style may increase the chance though. If you watch again you will see other clips ejecting good and clear past the handle. I am guessing one of two things was the cause. Either his gun was very clean and needed to seal up with a little fowling or it was getting dirty and causing too much drag. Jmac, was that sequence with the weak ejection right after cleaning or was the gun getting dirty?

I think I know what my next camera is going to be. Do you know if there is a camera that does more than 1200 fps, one that isn't 10000 bucks I mean, lol!

Wait your suppose to clean the saiga 12?

Ive shot at least 300rds since the last cleaning.. :osama:

Considering my gun has a 10" bbl with a gas system that was desinged to work with a bbl that was 2" longer (based on Tony's findings) its miraculous that it even cylces low brass...

When I chopped it down I was ok with it only shooting high brass, It has the 4 port configuration with factory size holes, just did some work to the gas block and the bolt/carrier and somehow it cycles...

The cassio ex-f1 is the ONLY option right now... unless you wanna spend big bucks or be dissapointed

btw 1200 fps is overkill, the slowest shot in my videos is 600 fps, 90% of the shots are 300fps

Are you familiar with a DSLR? or photography? this camera is not the easiest to use, lighting is extremely crucial while using the slow motion features. Look at some of the other slow mo videos on youtube done using the ex-f1 and youll understand what Im saying.

Everyone is begging me to use one of your drums, guess youll get a shameless plug in the next installment :smoke: I need to change out my mag release because the one I have doesnt work with your drum....

Your no different from the rest if you have a request by all means...

I agree with your decision there.. just sayin that it didn't go unnoticed. ;) I think that the (Tromix skull) Galil style charging handle contributed to that, you could see it batting around ~70% of the shells immediately after ejection.

Yup, I was going to add one to my S12 until I saw it hitting those hulls like that.

You should be alright to have one. I have seen the factory handle do the exact same thing (not quite as slowly though, lol). The galil style may increase the chance though. If you watch again you will see other clips ejecting good and clear past the handle. I am guessing one of two things was the cause. Either his gun was very clean and needed to seal up with a little fowling or it was getting dirty and causing too much drag. Jmac, was that sequence with the weak ejection right after cleaning or was the gun getting dirty?

I think I know what my next camera is going to be. Do you know if there is a camera that does more than 1200 fps, one that isn't 10000 bucks I mean, lol!

Wait your suppose to clean the saiga 12?

Ive shot at least 300rds since the last cleaning.. :osama:

Considering my gun has a 10" bbl with a gas system that was desinged to work with a bbl that was 2" longer (based on Tony's findings) its miraculous that it even cylces low brass...

When I chopped it down I was ok with it only shooting high brass, It has the 4 port configuration with factory size holes, just did some work to the gas block and the bolt/carrier and somehow it cycles...

The cassio ex-f1 is the ONLY option right now... unless you wanna spend big bucks or be dissapointed

btw 1200 fps is overkill, the slowest shot in my videos is 600 fps, 90% of the shots are 300fps

Are you familiar with a DSLR? or photography? this camera is not the easiest to use, lighting is extremely crucial while using the slow motion features. Look at some of the other slow mo videos on youtube done using the ex-f1 and youll understand what Im saying.

Everyone is begging me to use one of your drums, guess youll get a shameless plug in the next installment :smoke: I need to change out my mag release because the one I have doesnt work with your drum....

Your no different from the rest if you have a request by all means...

I don't have any photography experience but would learn. I am most interested in this for research and development. A high spped camera can slow things down to show you exactly what is happening. The 1200 fps just might be all I need (for now) comparing to your video statment about 600 fps being the slowest. At 1200 fps can you clearly see the projectiles? I can see them partially in some of your shots. I don't really have any requests as far as videos. I see you are going to Knob Creek. If you are close to me we might could meet up in advance for some full-auto videos. I have quite a few... I think out of them all I would most like to see our FA saiga-12 and maybe our PKM with the short barrel on it (fireballs). I would like to see our Glock 18 as well just to see exactly how uncontrollable it really is... We also have some 8 inch Tromix and the fireball would be a touch bigger than your 10 inch (especially with the right rounds).

Is your gas block moved to the rear on your 10 inch?

I don't have any photography experience but would learn. I am most interested in this for research and development. A high spped camera can slow things down to show you exactly what is happening. The 1200 fps just might be all I need (for now) comparing to your video statment about 600 fps being the slowest. At 1200 fps can you clearly see the projectiles? I can see them partially in some of your shots. I don't really have any requests as far as videos. I see you are going to Knob Creek. If you are close to me we might could meet up in advance for some full-auto videos. I have quite a few... I think out of them all I would most like to see our FA saiga-12 and maybe our PKM with the short barrel on it (fireballs). I would like to see our Glock 18 as well just to see exactly how uncontrollable it really is... We also have some 8 inch Tromix and the fireball would be a touch bigger than your 10 inch (especially with the right rounds).

Is your gas block moved to the rear on your 10 inch?

let me look through some of my footage and Ill post a video clip that is 1200fps

You can see .22 rounds coming from a pistol...

Im down for meeting up at Knob Creek, Ill run the camera till I run out of space on the card! of course you'll have to let me shoot a full auto saiga.... :super:

Im supposed to go up to Blackheart International in a couple weeks and shoot a PKM, G 18, PPSH, and a bunch of other cool toys, but no FA s12...

Yes the gas block is moved rearward 2" and everything is shortened accordingly, I did a write up in the SBS technical thread on how I did it all.

Is there outlets, or ext. cords at the range? I dont remember seeing and but it was pretty packed last time I went, and I wasnt exactly looking for a 120v power supply...

looking for a cool 1200fps video....

P22 with outback II at 1200fps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSo5-c0FYCA

It is very hard to keep the subject in the frame and also it is hard to get the focus perfect, I focused on the building hoping to see the round in flight.

btw this 3 min video took about 15 seconds to film...

• Like 1

Man, That is bad ass and perfect right there! Where are you located? It might be worth the ride to get a shot at that building with some of my toys!

10 miles north of Charleston WV

That's my buddy Randy a.k.a. "Fast Finger Cain" dads old barn, we are slowly helping it to the ground 1 round at a time.

The quality at 1200fps is pretty low.. but if the lighting is right you can get some pretty cool shots.

That was simply some of the BEST footage of a weapon being fired I have ever seen.

Being active duty USMC I have seen some GREAT footage, but that last video is fucking BAD ASS!!:super:

If you like that just wait untill I actually setup to film one.. I just turned the camera on and started shooting.

I had no clue other people would enjoy this as much as me.. I thought I was the only photography/videography geek on these forums..

Edited by JMac

I can actually see why I'm inaccurate with a pistol.. look how much I pull up on the gun before it goes off..

Another great example of what can be fixed with slow motion. If it happens to fast to see you have a harder time figuring out what is wrong. An example of fixing a fault. About 10 years back a skateboarding friend of mine was trying to teach me how to do a kick flip. I just wasn't grasping it until he broke a recording down frame by frame and could better point out how it was done... Nailed it on my first attempt after that! Probably break my damn neck if I tried it today...

Maybe if you make a slow mo of you running the camera I can figure that out too, LOL!

And that it an unusual grip/trigger pull that you use. I have never observed anyone use their middle finger until this video...

So you've never seen the pic of Ruby shooting Oswald? C'mon mang, that's a classic!

jack-ruby-shoots-oswald.jpg

Assassin's grip.

When gripping a pistol in such a manner, it's much more difficult to pry it out of the shooter's hand, so the shooter has a better chance of holding onto his gun & fighting his way out of a situation if he get's mobbed by the people after shooting his mark.

The guy in the video likely just shoots that way because he can pull the trigger faster.

Jack Ruby on the other hand had close connections to Chicago & New Orleans bosses.

ETA; GREAT videos.

Awesome. :up:

Edited by Paulyski

I had no clue other people would enjoy this as much as me.. I thought I was the only photography/videography geek on these forums..

Even the unwashed masses of bible thumping, gun hugging, red neck, trailer trash, right wing conservatives....

And the occasional wayward Leftist Libtard Progressive...

Can appreciate fine art, now when that art is fantastic video of one of our favorite firearms.

Shit man, ya gonna be famous around here ;)

• Like 1

I can actually see why I'm inaccurate with a pistol.. look how much I pull up on the gun before it goes off..

Another great example of what can be fixed with slow motion. If it happens to fast to see you have a harder time figuring out what is wrong. An example of fixing a fault. About 10 years back a skateboarding friend of mine was trying to teach me how to do a kick flip. I just wasn't grasping it until he broke a recording down frame by frame and could better point out how it was done... Nailed it on my first attempt after that! Probably break my damn neck if I tried it today...

Maybe if you make a slow mo of you running the camera I can figure that out too, LOL!

You can see some 1000 fps I did while testing a 20ga mag for csspecs here. Not a pro model, and quite frankly, I'm no where near pro on the camera (I still haven't read how to use the camera :) I just point it at things and try the different buttons! lol). I made my son stand there and take footage as I pelted him with empties ...

Anyways, my camera is a Casio EX-FH20 and is VERY affordable ... if you are researching and not publishing it might fill the bill. I caught mine on sale and paid ~210 IIRC. There are other casio options hi speed cameras that I have no working knowledge of, but likely could find folks posting vids on youtube to see if they would do what you need.

JMAC, curious as to why you would need 120v at the shoot?

Edited by kmoore

You can see some 1000 fps I did while testing a 20ga mag for csspecs here. Not a pro model, and quite frankly, I'm no where near pro on the camera (I still haven't read how to use the camera :) I just point it at things and try the different buttons! lol). I made my son stand there and take footage as I pelted him with empties ...

Anyways, my camera is a Casio EX-FH20 and is VERY affordable ... if you are researching and not publishing it might fill the bill. I caught mine on sale and paid ~210 IIRC. There are other casio options hi speed cameras that I have no working knowledge of, but likely could find folks posting vids on youtube to see if they would do what you need.

JMAC, curious as to why you would need 120v at the shoot?

Yes Cassio makes a few other hi speed cameras but the ex-f1 was the only one that wasn't considered a novelty item according to reviews (no offense). The quality of the ex-f1 is borderline as it is, but maybe like your saying it might work for research and development, which I think is what Mike is looking for.

In about 2 years all the companys will jump on the wagon, Cassio just happened to build the wagon of affordable slow mo

120v for lighting

helluva deal for the quality you are getting. What kind/size of flash card are you using (class 10?)?

any hints on lighting for best results or do you have a favorite forum for this camera to optomize settings?

thanks

Caspian

Edited by Caspian

helluva deal for the quality you are getting. What kind/size of flash card are you using (class 10?)?

any hints on lighting for best results or do you have a favorite forum for this camera to optomize settings?

thanks

Caspian

16GB card

The more light the better, of course you need to add light in which ever direction illustrates/accents what you want to see, or film in the morning or evening...

Best Shot then do all manual settings if you want a good clip. (if your asking about a camera forum) I barely have time to visit my favorite gun forums...

JMac, if you or Mike ever want to move towards some higher end high speed cameras my friends shot the slow mo video portions of this video :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTVirpTORb0

at 3", 23" and 61" in.

They do pretty much all of their granular materials/fluid dynamics research with them. Just let me know if I can help out.

Edited by physicsnerd

JMac, if you or Mike ever want to move towards some higher end high speed cameras my friends shot the slow mo video portions of this video :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTVirpTORb0

at 3", 23" and 61" in.

They do pretty much all of their granular materials/fluid dynamics research with them. Just let me know if I can help out.

Very cool video, I kinda miss school, well the learning part not the homework and tests part.. Very good quality video

Hah, I love the video but I must admit that was the most glaring thing from it all, but what a great way to find out how to improve your habits.

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't forgot about you guys, just been busy

Hopefully Ill pick up some melons soon and make some Fruit Juice

I would also like to make a compilation video of my SBR's and SBS fire balls at dusk (of course in slow motion)

Shot my draco for the first time tonight, not near the fireball that my 107ur puts out but still pretty outlandish

Justin

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...