• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

and beans

Well if we're going to Google for verification:         :lolol:

Beans bitches. You can ridicule and mock me all day long. It doesn't matter, what you call chili, we put on hot dogs.     I say again, beans...............   And you will notice that Google sur

Posted Images

Beans-33% Meat-33% Tomatoes, onions, garlic, HOT peppers and chocolate, 33%total. 1% whatever I feel like adding. NO ONE doesn't like my chili!

Chocolate? Interesting. In what form? Like coco powder or something........or are you dumping Hershey's chocolate syrup from a squeeze bottle, into your chili? :eek:

HAHAH! I was just thinking that too. Melting some chocolate ice cream in it. Doesn't sound too appealing.

Beans-33% Meat-33% Tomatoes, onions, garlic, HOT peppers and chocolate, 33%total. 1% whatever I feel like adding. NO ONE doesn't like my chili!

Chocolate? Interesting. In what form? Like coco powder or something........or are you dumping Hershey's chocolate syrup from a squeeze bottle, into your chili? :eek:

Cocoa powder. It's alkaline, so it kills some of the acid in the tomatoes. Plus, pharmacologically speaking, it makes perfect sense. Chocolate contains chemicals that cause the brain to release endorphins, so it feels good. Capsicum causes the body to respond to input from the pain receptors, which releases painkillers. The two combined make for a damned fine chili with a very nice afterglow.

Cocoa powder. It's alkaline, so it kills some of the acid in the tomatoes. Plus, pharmacologically speaking, it makes perfect sense. Chocolate contains chemicals that cause the brain to release endorphins, so it feels good. Capsicum causes the body to respond to input from the pain receptors, which releases painkillers. The two combined make for a damned fine chili with a very nice afterglow.

Are you a super chef-chemist-biologist who happens to have a secret love affair with guns?!! :eek:

Are you a super chef-chemist-biologist who happens to have a secret love affair with guns?!! :eek:

Nah, I just like to cook, and I know a bit about a lot of subjects.

My chili recipe evolved over the last 25 years. It's a work in progress.

Nah, I just like to cook, and I know a bit about a lot of subjects.

My chili recipe evolved over the last 25 years. It's a work in progress.

Vanilla next??

I feel so lost in this thread... The only Chili I've ever had, had beans in it... I guess I need to get out more... haha... :shocked:

To make this more fun, post some recipes! I'm game to try some real Chili :super:

Try and find one of these kits. Toss the dried onions and garlic and use fresh. This will get you pretty close. Just don't add beans!

post-13534-039757800 1281122827_thumb.jpg

Good luck and happy eating!

Yakdung

Edited by yakdung

I feel so lost in this thread... The only Chili I've ever had, had beans in it... I guess I need to get out more... haha... :shocked:

To make this more fun, post some recipes! I'm game to try some real Chili :super:

Try and find one of these kits. Toss the dried onions and garlic and use fresh. This will get you pretty close. Just don't add beans!

Yakdung

2 alarm? do your taste buds play with barbies? 5 alarm chili is the way to go if you want spice. or make it 7 alarm by adding whole habaneros.

Yakdung

2 alarm? do your taste buds play with barbies? 5 alarm chili is the way to go if you want spice. or make it 7 alarm by adding whole habaneros.

Just a kit do with it what you please. And no I don't believe spice should ever overpower the flavor of food.

Enjoy,

Yakdung

Yakdung

Just a kit do with it what you please. And no I don't believe spice should ever overpower the flavor of food.

Enjoy,

Yakdung

What Yakdung said. I love spicy foods, but the spiciness can't overpower the taste. Then it's not enjoyable to eat, instead you're focused on drinking a shitload of whatever to make that burn go away. Really doesn't make eating a pleasurable experience. Unless of course you've got some kinda spiciness fetish. "OH BABY! MAKE MY MOUTH BURN YOU WHORE! OUCH THAT HURTS BUT IT FEELS SO GOOD!" :eek:

• 3 months later...

A quick Google search should settle the beans or no beans debate forever. With beans turns up 10 times the hits that no beans does.

post-16335-0-65692700-1291679371_thumb.jpg

post-16335-0-29747200-1291679377_thumb.jpg

So, you bean haters are obviously full of

post-16335-0-09431900-1291679378_thumb.jpg

And by the way, chili with no beans tastes and looks like^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

• Like 2

A quick Google search should settle the beans or no beans debate forever. With beans turns up 10 times the hits that no beans does.

Well if we're going to Google for verification:

:lolol: :lolol:

post-5916-0-85983900-1291680469_thumb.jpg

post-5916-0-95826500-1291680477_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

So, you bean haters are obviously full of post-16335-0-09431900-1291679378_thumb.jpgAnd by the way, chili with no beans tastes and looks like^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I don't even wanna know how you know of its taste. I'm guessing some type of sex game... :unsure:

A quick Google search should settle the beans or no beans debate forever. With beans turns up 10 times the hits that no beans does.post-16335-0-65692700-1291679371_thumb.jpgpost-16335-0-29747200-1291679377_thumb.jpgSo, you bean haters are obviously full of post-16335-0-09431900-1291679378_thumb.jpgAnd by the way, chili with no beans tastes and looks like^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Well if we're going to Google for verification: :lolol: :lolol:

:lolol:

• Like 2

So, you bean haters are obviously full of post-16335-0-09431900-1291679378_thumb.jpgAnd by the way, chili with no beans tastes and looks like^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I don't even wanna know how you know of its taste. I'm guessing some type of sex game... :unsure:

A quick Google search should settle the beans or no beans debate forever. With beans turns up 10 times the hits that no beans does.post-16335-0-65692700-1291679371_thumb.jpgpost-16335-0-29747200-1291679377_thumb.jpgSo, you bean haters are obviously full of post-16335-0-09431900-1291679378_thumb.jpgAnd by the way, chili with no beans tastes and looks like^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

021.gif

Beans bitches011.gif. You can ridicule and mock me all day long. It doesn't matter, what you call chili, we put on hot dogs.

I say again, beans...............

And you will notice that Google surveys are always right, so I guess I am crazy. Crazy right, and crazy for beans in my chili.

'Tards, beans are for chili.

Your silly little opinions have been duly noted. But at usual I live in my own crazy world and wasn't really listening.

post-16335-0-48655100-1291685368_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

021.gif

Beans bitches011.gif. You can ridicule and mock me all day long. It doesn't matter, what you call chili, we put on hot dogs.

I say again, beans...............

And you will notice that Google surveys are always right, so I guess I am crazy. Crazy right, and crazy for beans in my chili.

'Tards, beans are for chili.

Your silly little opinions have been duly noted. But at usual I live in my own crazy world and wasn't really listening.

post-16335-0-48655100-1291685368_thumb.jpg

I'm laughing so hard, I can hardly breathe!

• Like 1

Lots of regional differences in Chile/Chili. Here's the way I see it.

1. Chile's are the peppers, be they Green (Verde) or Red (Roja) Either way they are important in the making of good CHILI and other sauces etc.

I grew up on So CAL. Beans were included in most Chili served there...as I recall. Same on the East Coast when I was there for school and my first jobs.

The Texans, and surrounding area choose "A Bowl of Red" which is the sauce and chunks of meat and spices, usually Beef today...but I have had it with Pork and/or Goat many times in the past ten years... We make annual trips down thru the BBQ belt in the Austin/Hill-Country area. No Beans anywhere there.

Now for the real ball-buster that has taken me several years to build a real taste for it... The Cincinnati-style 5 or 6 way Chili, served all over the Ohio Valley, but centered on Cincy. This orginated in the German Butcher houses in that city, and has quite a following in the Mid West.

1. Start with a plate of spaghetti (Layer 1),

2. Then top with kidney or pinto beans (Layer 2),

3. Then the Chili Sauce. Not very peppery hot, but with a definite side-flavor of cinnamon and a small amount of dark chocolate. I always thought this was like pumpkin pie spice when I first smelled it. (LAYER 3)

4. Then a handfull of chopped onion (raw) (LAYER 4)

5. Then A Bunch of grated cheddar Cheese (like the taco-grind cheese) (LAYER 5)

6. and Then Optional- A bunch of chopped Jalopena Peppers (LAYER 6)

The first time I saw/smelled/ate this form of Chili was in 1978, during my job interview here in So Indiana. I spooned into the bowl of Chili, and found pasta in the bottom... I thought I was being served Chili in a dirty bowl- unwashed from the previous customer. It didn't take long for me to grow to really like the stuff. Google Gold Star or Skyline Chili to see the biggest Chili Parlor chains in the MidWest and photos of their products.

Finally- About the chocolate. Many Mexican dishes use dark chocolate to flavor and color the food. Not the sweet stuff we eat for candy here...but very dark and strong depp flavor that really adds to the 'Mole' and the sauces I have enjoyed. Try them all guys, You may find them pretty damn good.

Edited by Mayor Al
  • Like 1

Holy grave dig Batman!

OK, I'll play.

Beans or no Beans? Fucking eh, whatever gets your pecker hard.

But what I take exception to here, is the spelling of chile as C H I L I, only for ignorant gringo motherfuckers.

Chile is spelled C H I L E, as in the main base ingredient which is it's namesake.

Ya'll arguing about beans, and can't even spell chile. :scorn:

Shit, I bet ya'll put tomatoes in your chile as the base, not as a veggie for added flavor/color.

Real ol'school chile never met a tomato either.

Now, about that base.

Chiles, it requires copious amount of some variety of chile.

Roasted, grilled, smoked, chopped, pureed... Dammit, real chiles in some form.

Not Chile Powder/Spice or cayenne pepper added to tomato sauce.

Chiles!

And lets not even go into you fuckers using ground beef and other meats.

Its solid cuts of beef, steak of some sort, e.g. spiced & chargrilled flank steak is my favorite.

That said, I like a good, spicy & meaty chile with serious heat, and if it has beans, tomatoes or even, God forbid, ground meat in it, I don't necessarily turn my nose up at it... If it meets the first three prerequisites.

I'll leave ya'll with my award winning chile recipe.

This a seriously thick, spicy & meaty chile with a good heat, not for fucking pussy assed gringos.

Chile's Chipolte Chile

8 cans - 7oz : Herdez Chipolte Chiles in Adobo sauce.

*4 cans: Rotel HOT, (optional)

*1lb Pinto or Black beans, cooked, (optional)

2 cups: Brown Sugar

*1 large Hershey Special Dark chocolate bar, (optional) Imparts a great Mole flavor!

2 large Onions quartered

4 large Garlic cloves

8-10lbs skirt/flank steak

Salt, Cumin and whatever other spices float your boat.

In a blender, combine chiplotes/adobo sauce & *Rotel, puree till smooth.

In large stock pot, add 1/2cup oil and roast onions/garlic, remove, chop & return to pot.

Add chipolte/rotel to stock pot, heat on low-med.

Add brown sugar & *chocolate.

Grill steaks rare/med rare, char over heavy flame for great grill flavor, cool and cut into large bite sized chunks, add to pot.

*Add beans.

Season to taste.

Simmer 1/2hr, over low/med heat, careful not to scorch, stir frequently.

Serve topped with crumbled Queso Anejo and fresh tortilla chips.

Ice cold Horchata or Cerveza to wash it down.

Edited by ChileRelleno
  • Like 1

I'm laughing so hard, I can hardly breathe!

I lol'ed pretty good at that pic, too. :lolol:

But what I take exception to here, is the spelling of chile as C H I L I, only for ignorant gringo motherfuckers.

Chile is spelled C H I L E, as in the main base ingredient which is it's namesake.

You're just being biased! :haha:

• 2 weeks later...

Mayor Al mentioned Cincinnati chili but it wasn't a German recipe, it was a Greek on based on on pastisio served on spaghetti and topped with cheddar cheese. The recipe was modified to adapt western chili with Greek spices. They also have cheese coneys(cheese chili dogs). You can look up Cincinnati Chili recipes. They have Arab imitators Gold Star Chili. Cincinnati Magazine wrote a review of the chili parlors in town in the October 2009 issue. The Hajis at Gold Star were pissed off because they didn't get a good review (sore losers).

In Detroit they have coney island restaurants which serve chili in a bowl or a coney which is similar to the Cincinnati chili like National Coney. Again the Arabs also have coney restaurants imitating the Greek recipe.

I've seen the chili stands in southern California when I lived there but didn't really try them except for Tommy's Burgers who served chili and chili burgers. Tommy Koulax who founded the chain is a son of Greek immigrants.

This thread could go on for a long time since there are countless ways of making chili.

Edited by uzitiger

New Mexico Style Green Chile with Chicken

2 teaspoons olive oil

1 lb boneless/skinless GREEN chicken breast -- cut into 1/2-inch chunks and remove all visible fat

3 small garlic cloves -- finely minced

1 red onion -- finely chopped (optional)

2 tablespoons flour -- preferably masa flour

2 tablespoons cornstarch

4 tablespoons water

28 oz. New Mexican chiles -- roasted, peeled, seeded, and finely chopped

1-2 tablespoons chopped jalapeno pepper -- optional and preferably fresh

1 teaspoon cumin

1/8 teaspoon salt

1/8 teaspoon white pepper

2-3/4 cup chicken broth

2 large fresh tomatoes -- pureed (or peeled and chopped) (optional)

In skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. This green chili is already pretty low-fat, but if you prefer, eliminate or diminish the olive oil when frying your chicken, and use non-fat chicken broth. Saute chicken until all pink is gone (about 5 minutes). Move meat aside and add garlic and onion. As soon as garlic sizzles, stir together with pork. Put into crockpot on high.

In a small bowl, make thickener by adding water to flour and cornstarch. (Add another tablespoon of cornstarch and a tablespoon of water if you prefer a thicker sauce, but wait until later in the cooking to decide if the texture is what you want, or you may accidentally make it too thick.) Add mixture to crockpot.

Add chiles, spices, chicken broth to crockpot. Bring to a low boil, then reduce heat and add tomatoes. (puree the tomatoes if you like a very smooth sauce; peel and chop 'em if you like more texture). Simmer on very low heat, covered, for at least 1 hour (preferably all day).

• Like 1

Kind of funny this thread popped up today, I just got back from the store buying ingredients for chili I plan on making tomorrow.

Oh, and it's gonna have BEANS in it too bitchesnaaaa.gif.

Carry your mamby pamby non bean eating asses back to whatever chili biased mecca you came from.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaFy0x_Uixo

• Like 1