All the prolblems?

I just picked up a Saiga 12 Monday last week by way of trade for my Glock 30 with 4 mags. I have'nt shot the gun yet, but after reading all the post about things that are going wrong with these guns with the gas system and BHO failing I am begining to wonder if I bought a headace? Are these incidents common or isolated to a few? My Saiga 12 is dated 2008. Are there any recalls or should I just box it up and get my glock back? I don't want to have to invest a lot of money in a gun that is supposed to be based off of a trouble free design just to get it to function in a decent manner!

I just picked up a Saiga 12 Monday last week by way of trade for my Glock 30 with 4 mags. I have'nt shot the gun yet, but after reading all the post about things that are going wrong with these guns with the gas system and BHO failing I am begining to wonder if I bought a headace? Are these incidents common or isolated to a few? My Saiga 12 is dated 2008. Are there any recalls or should I just box it up and get my glock back? I don't want to have to invest a lot of money in a gun that is supposed to be based off of a trouble free design just to get it to function in a decent manner!

Sent PM

Most of the posts your seeing are from a handful of problem guns. Or from trying to get a gun to work with one or two forms of cheap ammo.

I don't know about the rest of you but I don't normally post a "Another 400 rounds without a problem" topic every couple weeks.

My saiga-12 has not had a misfeed in.... Heck I can't even remember.

• Like 2

Here we go:

1) The vast majority of gun owners do not interact on discussion boards.

2) The vast majority of satisfied product owners who do interact on discussion boards do not trumpet the fact that their product works as advertised.

3) This leaves the folks who are dis-satisifed who post up horrific stories. Many of these users post under different user names on different forums, thereby "compounding" these horrific stories to the ignorant.

4) "Tailgate Tom" (who hates whatever product is under discussion) continually points at these horrific stories for years after the fact, thereby keeping the "horrific stories" alive for current readers.

Bottom line: Any "horror story" you read about any product on the internet probably affects less than 1% of the user base.

• Like 1

I have an 08 gun. Puts a big fucking smile on my face every time I am shooting it. Figure good ridiance to the Glock. :lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol: Again I usually don't come back with a range report but the time before last I shot about 300 rounds with 1 failure to feed and I was using light cheap wall mart loads.

a whole bunch of the issues and problems are created by owners in the process of doing modifications to the gun with out first checking ever thing out (did it work before you did that) and having the right tools or knowledge of the gun or fitting requirements. self infected wounds seem to sting the worst.

see if it will run with the Remington value pack as a starting point.

I used federal bulk pack right out of the box. I'd suggest applying a thin coating of gun oil to the rails the bolt rides on, this will help them smooth out without any galling, its probably not needed but its what I always do.

I'd also use the factory mag for the first outing.

Its also good to not heavily oil or grease the gas system, It will collect dirt and fouling.

I used federal bulk pack right out of the box. I'd suggest applying a thin coating of gun oil to the rails the bolt rides on, this will help them smooth out without any galling, its probably not needed but its what I always do.

I'd also use the factory mag for the first outing.

Its also good to not heavily oil or grease the gas system, It will collect dirt and fouling.

This is good advice.

I have an '08 4 hole gun and an '09 3 hole gun. Both of them were "broken in" the same way. I greased the rails and bolt lug channels, then put 100 rounds of federal 7-1/2 bird shot through it on setting 2 using the factory magazine.

Edited by hobbyshooter

You should have got a little cash with the S-12 on that trade. Glock 30 with 4 mags = $500.00+. S-12 = $400.00+. I figure you left at least $100.00 on the table.

BTW, spend some time breaking the gun in before you make any decisions. You'll most likely end up enjoying the S-12 more than any other weapon you own.

I have noticed FTE's with folks shooting my S-12 and it is always because they weren't holding the shotgun tight to the shoulder, especially with light loads. I have no problems at all with that myself. I used slugs and buckshot during my break in period. Never really had any major issues that bummed me out. My Saiga 12 is the most fun of all the weaponry in my arsenal.

My 2001 model only choked (FTE) twice in over 1000 rounds. The FTE was cheap low brass crap handed out at a local Turkey Shoot on setting #2 of a Gunfixer plug. Adjusting to setting #3 fixed that so let's call it operator error.

Heck I never even made a concerted effort to break it in. All I did was shoot it with several types of ammo like # 7 1/2, #1 Buck, 00 Buck, #4 Buck and some slugs. Never a hiccup.

Some 'Bubbas' figure drilling out holes (Usually at the wrong angle) will make their gun run better but they add another problem IE adding excessive chunks of fouling in the gas puck area. And their gun STILL won't run because their aftermarket AK-47 hammer is dragging.

Then they weld up the gas vent hole, add an aftermarket puck, grind on the bolt carrier and install a TAPCO carrier extension incorrectly.

Then there are some that limp wrist the gun or INSIST on using the cheapest ass ammunition on the face of the earth or whine that their Saiga-12 won't "Bump fire like my AK-47".

You have a good firearm unless it is a 'Vodka Special'. Even these can be fixed under warranty.

Remember; once you modify it/restore it you are on your own.

The problems on the "vodka specials" are usually just undersized ports, then like Etek just pointed out, the hammer after converting if not profiled correctly.

Also the mainspring on the BHO side walking to the center. 1 quick bend & that problem is fixed.

Other issues are US made Mag issues. They are easy to fix too. Just buy AGPs would be my suggestion for US mags. They are the easiest to tune if you have issues.

The polishing is to run weak cheap ammo out of the drums reliably, an immediate break in & to make it easy to load a mag on a closed bolt.

Go for it. If you can follow simple instructions, even if you get a "vodka special" you can get it running VERY reliably with a few simple fixes.

Good luck & welcome to the forum! :up:

• Like 1

Don't expect it to run off of Winchester Universal birdshot right out of the box. It may run off of Federal Bulk birdshot with little or no mods. Keep in mind that these weapons were designed to run well with buckshot or slugs. None of mine ran well with garbage ammo in the beginning.... but they do now. It took a lot of research, work, and time to achieve garbage compatibility. I have never fired anything except Winchester Universal in all three of mine. They are more fun than any weapon I have owned.... ever.

As a previous poster said, most reliability issues with these are related to garbage ammo or a home'smith that isn't as skilled as he thinks he is.

This Saiga 12 was a problem child

RUN FORREST.... RUN!!!!

Edited by evlblkwpnz

I did a little test fire just a while ago. The gun fired perfectly untill the last round. The last round would stove pipe and all it takes is a little swipe to clear it. I was using winchester el cheapo of course. Tomorrow I will use some 3" Buck I bought from Wally World yesterday.

I did a little test fire just a while ago. The gun fired perfectly untill the last round. The last round would stove pipe and all it takes is a little swipe to clear it. I was using winchester el cheapo of course. Tomorrow I will use some 3" Buck I bought from Wally World yesterday.

Don't forget to reset your gas plug to setting 1 prior to firing the 3".

Don't forget to reset your gas plug to setting 1 prior to firing the 3".

I figure with the Winchester ammo the following round must have been assisting in the ejection of the spent shell and when it got to the last round there was not enough umph to throw it out. And yes! Thanks for the heads up on changing the setting. I was playing around with that and closed it completly to get the full effect out of the Winchester ammo. Pretty Nice.

If right out of the box you weren't stovepiping like all hell with winchester bulk pack, you're probably as good as a stock gun gets.

Winchester bulk pack is some of the weakest ammo out there. Tom Cole, the warranty repair doesn't warranty the guns for anything weaker than federal (which is more powerful than winchester).

Sounds like you probably got a good one.

ETA;

Also, take out your gas plug & look at where the different surfaces will be in relation to the ports when it's on setting 1 as compared to 2.

This will give you a better understanding of how your gas plug & the settings work.

Edited by Paulyski

You know I was looking at the gas system and wondering which way you turn to get the position settings right. From what I gathered it was 4 turns out untill it cleared the retaining pin and two turns or clicks untill it was fully seated. When I pulled it out of the box it was set on Pos. #2 and one click back set it to Pos. #1 with the last click fully seated closed. Is that correct?