Why do people ask questions about aesthetics?

Why do people care about what "looks cool" to others?

Why do other's opinions matter about something as subjective & petty as aesthetics?

Can't people make up their own minds?

I understand asking about quality & reputation, but LOOKS?

It's like needing to ask what attributes make a female attractive.

Everybody's opinions will differ.

Some dudes are turned on by fat chicks.

Some redheads.

Some blondes.

Some Asians.

What the fuck does it matter what the other guy thinks your gun looks like if it's reliable, durable & shoots well?

I ponder this every time I see these topics.

Because people still need affirmation. We want it to look good to everyone else, too. If something looks good to you and you discover that you're the only one who thinks that, then that's probably going to change your opinion a little bit.

• Like 2

Aesthetics can be functional as well, it leads to things like ergonomics in design. The avg. human will always have a slight case of keeping up with the joneses jealousy which is when aesthetics come into play. Why put aftermarket rims on a vehicle if the original steel rims are durable and functional...it happens in every aspect of our life, shoes clothes and gun accessories alike, everyone wants popularity by acceptance and looks are a big part of that imo.

Penis extensions don't make it function any better but to some may look cool.

:D

Yakdung

So your surgery didn't go well I take it?.. :angel:

If you know anything about penis extensions they don't require surgery.

Yakdung

But is anybody attracted to a fat Asian with hair dyed red and blonde?

Ok...let me start by saying if its a female then I can't lie if nothing else was happemimg and she was like naked I would look...physical size does not always determine attractiveness for me...facial and other features weigh in...but let's face it if a fat Asian with dyed hair ran up on ya and said look at this and flashed you, you would look...lol

Yakdung

Yakdung

I have no idea about penis extensions as it appears you might be the resident expert, but thanks for the heads up...lol :rolleyes::angel:

• Like 1

It's the old "keep up with the Jones's" philosophy. American capitalism is built on that. Take that away and our economy will collapse. Everyone wants to have the shinier objects then the next guy.

I know that...never implied otherwise, just pointing the fact that it causes people to go for aesthetics...lol

Yakdung

Yakdung

I have no idea about penis extensions as it appears you might be the resident expert, but thanks for the heads up...lol :rolleyes::angel:

It was meant to be a joke and not to be taken literally. Crap attached to guns that provides no function is a waist in my view.

Yakdung

Yakdung

Yakdung

It was meant to be a joke and not to be taken literally. Crap attached to guns that provides no function is a waist in my view.

Yakdung

I got your joke and laughed...I was just joking with you as well. No hard feelings I hope....lol

LoL, until they invent a rail mount beverage dispenser, the only thing going on my guns is a scope and the occasional pistol grip. Hmm, a butt stock flask might be a good idea...

I saw a forum about a year ago where a guy took one of those henry survival rifles and carved an insert for a flask...lol he said..."if this is what I got to survive with, I might as well be drunk when I die"...lol

PS.

I now have a neoprene shotgun shell holder that I cut and sewed myself to fit my flask in...just a thought...lol I did it just now after I read your post...lol

Edited by DJ Big Dog
  • Like 1

Here is a simple answer (stated by someone years ago; I don't know who originally stated it) which I believe is concise. . . for those that subscribe to it (which I essentially do):

"Because life is too short to shoot an ugly gun!"

:lolol: . . . :lolol: . . . :lolol: . . . :lolol: . . . :lolol: . . . . . . . . :super:

Yet it goes without saying, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

Edited by Gary
  • Like 1

LoL, until they invent a rail mount beverage dispenser, the only thing going on my guns is a scope and the occasional pistol grip. Hmm, a butt stock flask might be a good idea...

Hmm.

A rail mounted bottle opener!

Glockmonger already did it.

Nate, one of my best friends from high school: "I'll never use an FS2000."

Me: "Why? It's a perfectly good, well designed rifle."

Nate: "Yeah but they look stupid. If it looks stupid, I'm not using it."

:rolleyes:

I believe in form follows function. However, I appreciate beauty, whether that be deep bluing and varnished wood,

or semi-gloss Parkerizing and same color throughout, or stained wood and patina'ed old steel.

While a firearm is a machine, it is also a work of art. Guns are like cars, they both serve a purpose, but vary

widely on how they do it and how they look and feel while doing it. I appreciate tasteful variety in how a machine

looks and functions and appreciate manufacturers for a job of it done well. However, like most aftermarket car mods,

I do not care for user customization.

I went wood on my Saiga 762x39 to look like an original type AK..

now when I put the FACTORY wood HG on my Saiga 308 & w/wood 'dragnov' stock.. that HG held LOTS of heat (not good IMHO).. so I ditched it and went back to the poly original and the 'drag' stock didn't give me the proper 'eye-relief' for the scope.. so I old that also....

I prefer some function over looks at the end of the day..

Its like a SUPER HOT chick vs. a HOT CHICK.. they both can do DIRTY things.. so hotness is irrelevant.. I prefer FUNCTION over looks (to a point)..

Guys, we have more than one kind Saiga lover here. Some like me are brutally practical - we just want a smooth reliable machine. Some are into the bling thing, and others are run and gun competitors. And almost everyone has their own idea of what it should look like, except looks mean a lot more to some than they mean to others.

It's the entire spectrum of every kind of Saiga nut in one place that makes this forum different than any other forum.