7 shots from a .50 cal Deesert Eagle

Dumbass rednecks. If I needed to use a desert eagle to defend myself against a wild pig, it's nice to know it'll work. But using one to purposefully hunt a wild pig? Seems stupid.

Realistically it still hardly worked at that. I'd expect the big badass .50 caliber pistol to at least put down a pig without that much of a hassle doing it. I imagine the hollowpoints actually were a bad decision for this task though, just size wise, the HP's would have probably been stopped before getting into any vitals on that pig.

Dumbass rednecks. If I needed to use a desert eagle to defend myself against a wild pig, it's nice to know it'll work. But using one to purposefully hunt a wild pig? Seems stupid.

Realistically it still hardly worked at that. I'd expect the big badass .50 caliber pistol to at least put down a pig without that much of a hassle doing it. I imagine the hollowpoints actually were a bad decision for this task though, just size wise, the HP's would have probably been stopped before getting into any vitals on that pig.

If it'd already been charging, he might have been done for. I've never done any pig hunting, no wild pigs to speak of in my neck of the woods. It almost seems like that pig wasn't afraid of people - ignored them until it got shot. There's no way it didn't know they were there. Seem like it might have been an escaped domestic pig?

.50 AE is a heck of a handgun round, but not really comparable to the kind of high-powered rifle cartridge that should be used to hunt large game. Even a .30-06 or .308 would have been more effective and humane.

If it'd already been charging, he might have been done for. I've never done any pig hunting, no wild pigs to speak of in my neck of the woods. It almost seems like that pig wasn't afraid of people - ignored them until it got shot. There's no way it didn't know they were there. Seem like it might have been an escaped domestic pig?

.50 AE is a heck of a handgun round, but not really comparable to the kind of high-powered rifle cartridge that should be used to hunt large game. Even a .30-06 or .308 would have been more effective and humane.

I've always heard of people using 7.62 x 39 to hunt pigs. Apparently the round is about perfect for it. Never done it myself, as there aren't enough feral hogs here to actually go looking for them. DNR says shoot them on sight....I've never seen one, or any signs of one.

The first shot would have killed it. Many people who don't hunt assume that an animal

goes down THUD. That is not often the case. Most times, animals take off and run,

then bleed out, or have lung failure, or whatever the shot did, and die.

Other times, the animal falls over and kicks for a while, then expires. Rarely do

animals just fall over, thud, dead. Anyone who thinks they do that all the time either

doesn't hunt, or hunts with waaaay too big of a gun for the job.

That Desert Eagle would not have been my first pick, but it did the job fine, and would

have done the job fine with one round. He hit it center mass. At that range, I would've

shot it in the head, myself.

That's a domestic pig turned feral. American feral hogs are usually black, and sometimes red.

White pigs are the domestic ones. Different sub-species, I think. A hog can't see well, so

you can get away with some movement (not much.) They can smell really well, and hear ok.

I always get a laugh out of these "big game hunters" hunting a hog. They're not that big,

they don't charge people, and they are usually scared of anything. They're not lions or water

buffalo. What they are, is nuisance animals. A hog in the USA is an exotic, like an armadillo,

or a Muskovy duck. Thus, they are not owned, nor regulated, by the state, and can be shot on sight.

I don't particularly have an issue with what went on in that video; it's a fricking pig, and it doesn't

matter if it went down with a desert eagle, a 50 cal barrett, or a 15 round clip of 22 magnum. Native

game animals, to me, deserve better, and are to be taken legally within the laws of the local state.

Varmints and nuisance animals deserve eradication; it's that simple, especially considering their breeding

cycles and how quickly they can spread.

It's like getting upset over an opossum dying. I mean, one guy I hunted with back in the day took down a

500 pounder with a full mag of 22 magnum. He was turkey hunting (one thing the 22 magnum is very good for)

and the pig came by and there was policy to shoot pigs on sight. So, down went the pig. We all thought it was

an impressive job with a rimfire.

I'm sure people think differently, but that's my views after 25 years of hunting, most of it in areas with feral

pigs.

• Like 5

Hellen Keller could have made cleaner shots from that distance.

EDIT:............and this reminds me; there's videos on YouTube of people eradicating nuisance hogs from a helicopter, and having FAR better accuracy. Sure, they're using rifles, so it's not a 100% even comparison.....but the dude in the OP was a horrible shot from like 5' away. Seriously.

Edited by -Shooter-

I believe the issue is shot placement. A 325 grain .50 AE does: Muzzle Energy = 1515 ft lbs, Muzzle Velocity = 1450 fps. I've read many hunting stories of AR-15, SKS, and AK-47 kills with one well placed shot. My dad and I used to do pig roasts, and the pig farmer would dispatch the pig with a .22mag between the eyes. This guy was just screwing around with his toy, and we all no what animal torturers grow up to be (Dahlmer comes to mind).

hogs arent that hard to kill IF you hit them in the right place. Unless you scramble their brains or break their spine they CAN take a lot of lead before they die. I have killed LOTS of hogs with my 10/22 to the brain at close range, I have also taken many with my win 94 in 44mag with shots to the neck, all of those were planted where they stood. Be it hog,deer or anything else, I have never taken pleasure fron any animal suffering needlessly. I think we owe it to any quarry we pursue (even hogs) to kill then quickly and humanely.

• Like 7

I was at work earlier and wasn't able to see the original video posted .... that's just an old domestic breeder boar!! I bet if he would have rattled a can of feed it would have followed him back to the truck ..... that's a shame people get duped into killing some old boar that's no longer useful for breeding and THINK its a monster beast just waiting to kill them on sight :(

Edited by EJ45
  • Like 1

hogs arent that hard to kill IF you hit them in the right place. Unless you scramble their brains or break their spine they CAN take a lot of lead before they die. I have killed LOTS of hogs with my 10/22 to the brain at close range, I have also taken many with my win 94 in 44mag with shots to the neck, all of those were planted where they stood. Be it hog,deer or anything else, I have never taken pleasure fron any animal suffering needlessly. I think we owe it to any quarry we pursue (even hogs) to kill then quickly and humanely.

Funny.... I dont see a problem with the kill. Pork on the table. I've seen lung shot deer lay down, then jump and try to run ten min later. Label me whatever, But the 1st shot killed it. Just not instantly. I do agree a 30.30 would have been a far better choice. But hey, I killed a doe with a .357 @ 25yds a couple years back. She ran about 30 yds and fell over. Does that make me a bad hunter?

• Like 1
Does that make me a bad hunter?

Not at all! I lung shot a doe a couple of days ago .... she ran about 80 yards then dropped dead. So long as anyone makes an ethical shot I have no problems with it. The only point I was making was to do your best to kill the animal as quickly as possible.

• Like 1
Does that make me a bad hunter?

Not at all! I lung shot a doe a couple of days ago .... she ran about 80 yards then dropped dead. So long as anyone makes an ethical shot I have no problems with it. The only point I was making was to do your best to kill the animal as quickly as possible.

Agreed. I think people dont fully understand the hunt/death experiance. Some of the post are making it sound like it was evil to do that to the hog. It wasnt. I would have had that jugular pumping out as soon as I was sure it wasnt getting back up. And taken a bite out of its still qwivering heart. :super:

I don't hunt,so I'm completely ignorant about this subject, but that don't stop me from having an uninformed opinion. :angel:

The bottom line is that one should pick the best tool for the job. This guy wanted a pic of him with a large animal that he killed with his desert eagle, likely to feed his ego. That was more important to him than being humane. No, they don't always fall dead, but one should try to make that as likely as possible. That means shot placement and weapon choice. I'm not impressed, to say the least.

No animal deserves to needlessly suffer. Yes, it's only a pig, that's why it's fine to kill them for food. That said, it is a living being and should not be needlessly tortured.

• Like 4

Label me whatever, But the 1st shot killed it. Just not instantly.

I'm no expert.........but those movements after the first shot (and after the next few) did not seem like after-death muscle/nerve twitches.

If that guy couldn't put something down from that close range, quickly.....maybe he should find something else to do. Like ironing clothes or making macaroni pictures on paper plates.

• Like 5

So whats the problem here? That he used a hand cannon? That he took extra measures to put it out of its misery?

It did turn on him, and hogs can grow mean tusk that could easily tear the femoral artery...game is taken with handguns, and animals suffer when they are killed....it is a fact of life...

Given that was not very sporting in my opinion, but it still looked clean to me. Most of the unexperienced do not know that hogs have a thick plate protecting their heart, so it is a hard shot to take...

They are nuisance animals, get over it, they are taken by the dozen in Texas were it MUST be done.

• Like 3

I can hear the guy in the back ground telling him "get him behind that ear, right behind that ear' or some thing like that. Seems like he is trying to tell him how to put it down. Doesnt seem like they are purposely trying to be cruel to it. It is a big pig, and the bigger the pig, the harder its going to be to put down. It happens. Meh. Now I wouldnt have chose a 50 cal thats for sure lol. But w/e

pigs are harder to get a "clean" kill on over the average animal. Honestly, a clean kill is rare on pigs. In my experience. jus my 2 pennies. :smoke:

Heaven forbid any candyass from having poke a sharp stick into a living animal to feed himself. This is 2010 for pete sake! We should have mind control by now! The monkey presses the button.......And instant DEATH!!!!!! :ded: No pain, suffering, Nothing! :lolol: I have not stated what I would do, only what I have done. Not pigs, Deer. I have killed (a guess) 60 deer. 4 or 5 got away, and I'm sure they died later. I have slit the throat while they were still breathing. Tastes better without all that adrenylyln.<--- (jump on that classy) :haha: Look at what your posting about! You were not there. With a gun in your hand.

• Like 1

I was born and raised in a hunting family-a big one, and I never had to, or seen anyone take 7 shots to kill something. I did see a pig farmer with a .22mag take one shot to put down a pig that size. Once again, shot placement!

• Like 2

I was born and raised in a hunting family-a big one, and I never had to, or seen anyone take 7 shots to kill something.

Thus why the guy in the video should stick to easier things in life. Such as finger painting, bird watching, rock kicking, drying-paint watching, 9-volt battery testing, break-dancing and shuffleboard. :lolol:

• Like 1

It was dead after round two, it had not fully bled out yet.

Most of the tree stand hunters I know up in Michigan say to wait 45 mins after shooting to let the deer lay down and die.

I stand by the idea of using more ammo to put down a wounded animal. They deserve to have as painless an ending as we can make for them, inside of a minute is fairly quick.

• Like 2

It was dead after round two, it had not fully bled out yet.

Most of the tree stand hunters I know up in Michigan say to wait 45 mins after shooting to let the deer lay down and die.

I stand by the idea of using more ammo to put down a wounded animal. They deserve to have as painless an ending as we can make for them, inside of a minute is fairly quick.

Exactly, Deer unlike those damn Pigs are thoughtful enough to die quietly... :angel:

each individual animal can take any amount of killing. I shot a doe last weekend with a .303 brit. WHen i cleaned it, all the chest was jelly, and yet it ran about 80 yards. My brother shot a squirrel through the chest once with a broadhead and it ran all the way up the tree with the arrow sticking through it. I had enough time to walk back to the house and grab a .22 and walk back to shoot it and kill it. It had not died in 10 minutes. Moral of the story is, you never know how much moxie an animal, or person for that matter, will have. Pigs in florida are pretty much shoot on sight and no one cares how its done. No one wants stuff to suffer, but it happens- you are killing it. A lot of people just dump their bodies b/c there are so many of them and they are such a pest. Also, if you always used to best tool for the job, there would be no bowhunting. Hunting with a pistol is a different challenge to a hunter. Not passing any judgement, but around here the guy would have been slapped on the back and maybe ribbed about using that many shots while everyone was laughing. Animals dont always die quickly. Its contract was signed, it was just a matter of time after the first one or two.

• Like 1