My oldest son burnt up two X Boxes and is on his third. I had no idea that these X Boxes ran so hot until I bought a system this Christmas for my second oldest son to play Black Ops with his older brother on line. When I put my hand on top of the unit it was burning hot after just one hour of playing, compared to our Wei, Nintendo 64, and PS2. I decided to make a cooling Fan from stuff I had laying around the Garage. Man what a difference, after hours of playing the unit is just as cool as before the unit was turned on. With the Fan on top of the vent, it sucks air from both sides of the intake vents and expells the hot air up from the unit. I hooked up a mini Toggle switch inside the cooling box to turn it on and off. The bottom pic was the prototype before I hooked up another Fan inside the Lego House. The House is vented in the Top so no need to remove the Roof for cooling. Works great.

post-22569-0-44403800-1293711752_thumb.jpg

post-22569-0-47928600-1293711777_thumb.jpg

post-22569-0-51877400-1293711798_thumb.jpg

post-22569-0-01226300-1293711812_thumb.jpg

post-22569-0-44864700-1293711825_thumb.jpg

post-22569-0-02592100-1293711838_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

They were told when the chips went to production on this that the heat was going to be an issue. the microsoft "method" of cooling these units is that of a 1 year employee in the computer industry. even the method that the heat sink attaches to the unit is amatureish, to say the least.

why they put the dvd drive right on top of the main chip in the thing is beyond me.

they should make and provide a high flow cooling unit for these things free of charge.

and oh yeh, put a goddamn fan on the heatsink, and not duct the airflow over it....morons

• Like 1

They were told when the chips went to production on this that the heat was going to be an issue. the microsoft "method" of cooling these units is that of a 1 year employee in the computer industry. even the method that the heat sink attaches to the unit is amatureish, to say the least.

why they put the dvd drive right on top of the main chip in the thing is beyond me.

they should make and provide a high flow cooling unit for these things free of charge.

and oh yeh, put a goddamn fan on the heatsink, and not duct the airflow over it....morons

You think they would learn from the old design.They think cutting extra air vents would help. A company like Microsoft should know better.

no, they are frickin software people. its all about user pleasure. in this case, space saving.

make the damn unit with a slim drive, and a little taller, and put the damn fan right on the chip's heatsink. or put high flow fans on the back instead of the two stupid "quiet ergonomic" ones that dont work for shit.

like i said dude, morons.

I like the lego house, though, thats for sure!!

• Like 2

It's a simple equitation. The hotter the chip runs, the shorter it'll live. I bet this is partially a ploy to have people buy more systems. If the thing actually was designed right, they wouldn't ever overheat like they do, then people would never have to replace them.

I'm a PC gamer, so I can't stand either of the systems. They both have piss poor performance and are designed simply to fleece the consumer for all they can get.

• Like 3

The latest incarnation of the Xbox 360 is one of the worst offenders in terms of heat, and it gets loud. My Elite runs cool and quiet, I occasionally hear the spinning of the drive, but that's rare. We went to a model home in our neighborhood that was being sold (still is for sale, it's not worth the $1.3 million it's being sold for), which had a brand new 360 set up. The thing hadn't even been on for an hour, and no one was playing it, and it was burning hot to the touch. I shook my head in disapproval and reminded myself of why I wouldn't buy another. After playing GTA 4 on the PC versus the 360, the graphical difference is amazing. On PC it looks almost photo-realistic, not to mention you can mod and add your own cars based on those designed by others.

• Like 1

It's a simple equitation. The hotter the chip runs, the shorter it'll live. I bet this is partially a ploy to have people buy more systems. If the thing actually was designed right, they wouldn't ever overheat like they do, then people would never have to replace them.

I'm a PC gamer, so I can't stand either of the systems. They both have piss poor performance and are designed simply to fleece the consumer for all they can get.

*shrugs*

I saw two seperate friends go through the red-ring-of-death overheated XBOX experience. In both cases, they called the repair hotline, Microsoft sent them a box to ship it in, the console was repaired and shipped back without a dime out of pocket. Doesn't seem like a ploy to sell more consoles when Microsoft is shipping and repairing/replacing them for free.

Edited by jswledhed

*shrugs*

I saw two seperate friends go through the red-ring-of-death overheated XBOX experience. In both cases, they called the repair hotline, Microsoft sent them a box to ship it in, the console was repaired and shipped back without a dime out of pocket. Doesn't seem like a ploy to sell more consoles when Microsoft is shipping and repairing/replacing them for free.

Unfortunately they only do that for the RROD anything else and you have to pony up some cash. They got me on mine when the audio cut out and the screen filled with colored blocks. HDMI or composite none of them worked. Very strange. They don't send you a box anymore either. I got an XBOX360 last year when Walmart had them with a hundred dollar giftcard.. Barely use it now since I got a PS3. And don't let anyone fool you they mess up too. I'm on my third PS3. The bluray drives die on them and Sony wants 150 dollars to fix. 009.gif I miss my reliable old NES when all you had to do was blow on the cartridge. lol

• Like 1

We still have a N64 hooked up to a old Floor Console TV, and they both are still kicking. Think my kids play on that system more than the Wei and the X Box. We never have problems with the PS2 either, that thing is a workhorse, my older son plays tons of Games in it and watches movies on it like a DVD Player.

Edited by Sumsky

I am sure we can all agree that the PS 2 is the king shit and is built like a tank. I know of a lot of people that have left them on for longer than a week periods, including me...

Yes the XBOX 360 was designed from the ground up as a failure...

I am sure we can all agree that the PS 2 is the king shit and is built like a tank. I know of a lot of people that have left them on for longer than a week periods, including me...

Yes the XBOX 360 was designed from the ground up as a failure...

that is why i do not have an XBOX360 or a PSIII...I wont pay for crap, or at least try not to...The PSII and OG XBOX were it for game consoles for me due to that reason, and that I lost half of my thumb, and it is almost impossible to use the controllers anymore...HAHA...Forced me to move to PC games and they are the biz bomb compared to consoles...

*shrugs*

Unfortunately they only do that for the RROD anything else and you have to pony up some cash. They got me on mine when the audio cut out and the screen filled with colored blocks. HDMI or composite none of them worked. Very strange. They don't send you a box anymore either. I got an XBOX360 last year when Walmart had them with a hundred dollar giftcard.. Barely use it now since I got a PS3. And don't let anyone fool you they mess up too. I'm on my third PS3. The bluray drives die on them and Sony wants 150 dollars to fix. 009.gif I miss my reliable old NES when all you had to do was blow on the cartridge. lol

If you ever have another PS3 problem I suggest a company called Gophermods.com they're in MN and fix Xbox, PS3, Ipods,etc. for $69.00. We sent our phat PS3 to them and they fixed it and if it ever fails again you pay only the shipping to send it back to be fixed again and you get your unit and if a game is stuck inside they retrieve it and can retrieve your info you thought you had lost. They even offer HDD upgrades with data transfer. If they can't fix your unit you pay nothing.

PC gamers are like the 1911 owners of the gaming world; "Everything else sucks!" :lolol:

I don't think anyone will argue that a gaming PC with the right specs will blow any console out of the water (and I hope it would, considering the price difference between a good gaming PC and a console). Consoles still have their place, though. I tried once to play some weird video game a neighbor played on his PC. I'm worthless with a keyboard and mouse, when it comes to games though. To each his own.

Hey, SS!

Great minds think alike! :super:

My son (Jr. Sniper) you may have seen his shooting photos at the range.

He got a free Xbox from a buddy that had the 3 red rings of Death! He went on line and learned how to fix it.

I supplied the tools and oversight and he did the pennies trick to the memory chips under the main board and we noticed the heat sinks had no fans and ran hot as hell. We re-started the Xbox and it still had the rings. We disconnected the main fans and let it go to heat shutdown. Let it cool restarted and Wow works perfect. I still had a concern about the processor heat sinks (main and graphic) so I used a 92mm case fan I had from a recent PC build. It is a low speed fan and has no added noise but wow it keeps the heat sinks cool to the touch! I'm going to cut a hole in the side of the case and mount this fan on the outside. Remember this was a free Xbox!

Cool

:smoke:

Frosty

post-11604-0-45990900-1293993512_thumb.jpg

PC gamers are like the 1911 owners of the gaming world; "Everything else sucks!" :lolol:

I don't think anyone will argue that a gaming PC with the right specs will blow any console out of the water (and I hope it would, considering the price difference between a good gaming PC and a console). Consoles still have their place, though. I tried once to play some weird video game a neighbor played on his PC. I'm worthless with a keyboard and mouse, when it comes to games though. To each his own.

Well, there ARE competitive alternatives to the 1911; there are none to a good PC.

There's a reason that no company will let PC gamers play online with the console kiddies;

they'd blow them the fuck out of the water. It's simply a question of who has the better

interface, and who can customize the system more.

However, to truly have an awesome PC, one must build it himself, or pay out the ass. This

eliminates 90% of the population. I used to build a new box every couple years; I jammed

an SLI pair into my current machine, and it might actually make 5 years as the main box.

I did buy a bitching laptop though, so maybe that should count for new box this time.

As for cooling, right now my graphics cards' fans are maxed and the side is off of the box.

In fact, none of the desktops have their sides on. Yeah, it makes noise, but I game with headphones

so no big deal.