Norinco AK 47 type 56S

im looking at buying a norinco ak 47. the one i am looking at is virtually brand new. its a pre-ban rifle, that comes with bayonet, a few mags, 1.5mm stamped reciever. the seller is asking about $1600 when its all said and done...is it a good deal? ive tried looking all over the place for a norinco ak, and i havent been able to find one. any feedback is appreciated.

I own one. First AK I ever bought. I've used the snot out of it without any problems. I've had it long enough and hard enough to restock it. Even for a PreBan, 16 seems high for one. 12 would be a better price, more in the ball park. I sold a PolyTech Legend NIB for $1800

• Like 1

If its new in the box, and never even taken out of the bag, MAYBE, 1600 if you really, Really, REALLY, gotta have one, but, don't ever use it, or its worth about half that.

That said, the price is high.

I have seen UGLY ones going at 750 with no accessories, that would make a great shooter, but, if its out of box, without all the original accessories, barring a RARE variation, a grand, at most.

Oh, you didn't mention if it was an underfolder, if it is, add 200 bucks to the above prices.

if you're looking for a cheaper Norinco, look into MAK-90s much more affordable and less likely to spend its life in your safe. They also have thicker barrels and receivers than your run of the mill AKs. For the money your talking I would look into Polytech legends, but for something to shoot and not baby you'll feel more comfortable with a cheaper rifle that is still very nice.

its only had about 100 rounds through it, and it has wood furniture. it comes with the bayonet, oil can, and sling. I didnt plan on babying it either..i just wanted a good solid built ak.

Then get a Saiga and convert it or a mak-90 and de-ban it you'll be saving a lot of dough

• Like 1

Gonna bet after the work, and the Ironwood stock not a whole hell of a lot less than a pre ban.

MAKS have definitely been appreciating in price.

Bear in mind that the ones that are 223 have mag issues.

IE, Polytechs, you can't find the 223 mags, and if you do, beaucoup bucks, I have seen 150 dollar asking prices.

AS for the Norinco 84's, expect to pay 50 and up for a factory mag.

Now, the promags and bulgys will FIT but not always feed reliably, and thats from experience, not just internet speak.

Assuming you can get a MAK-90 for around $500 (you can) then add $135 for the new stock

500+135= 635 assume about another hundred for stain varnish or whatever to finish the stock, and also get a buttplate and other stock hardware its gonna be less than $800 for a very nice weapon. Leave the thumbhole stock on and keep it cheaper, they dont look too bad. Keep in mind if you alter anything you'll have to stay 922r compliant (see legal section of this forum) .

yes tare is about right 500 for the mac 200 for the wood and butt plate etc the wood i picked is walnut and i just sanded and put on multiple coats of tung oil so probally around 700 total excluding bulgly circle 10 mag which in my opinion are the best mags out there great fit no wobble

You ain;t be lookin in all the right places.

There are definitely bargains on the chinese prebans, because of the availability of new AK's, and the general lack of knowledge about the quality and reliability of the chinese guns.

Are you gonna go to gunbroker and find one right now?

Maybe not, but, the key thing is you gotta watch, and jump on them quick, when they come up for sale.

The Navy Seals and the Military Defense Council of Finland, both selected Norinco of China to supply Chinese type 56 AK-47 rifles, which are virtually identical (except for select-fire components) to the Norinco MAK-90, & without the MAK-90's thumbhole stock).

THAT SHOULD TELL YOU SOMETHING, as the GALIL AK's, F.E.G.'s from Hungary, Arsenal of Bulgaria, and Russian AK's were all tested against the Chinese Norinco, and the Norinco came out on top as the most rugged, and best value DUE TO THE USE OF THICKER 1.5MM STAMPED CHINESE RECEIVERS, DOUBLE-HOOK TRIGGERS FOR SMOOTHER TRIGGER-PULL, and thicker Chinese barrels, despite the fact that it would have been easier for Finland and the U. S. Navy Seals to buy AK-47 variants from other Eastern European, or Russian sources.

Finally, Norinco of China, Zastava of Yugoslavia, and Valmet/Sako of Finland all use at least 1.5mm steel for their stamped receivers on their AK variants, thus eliminating the need for "mickey-mouse" anti-trip devices (band-aid that does not solve the problem of too thin receivers) found in the trigger groups of thinner 1mm steel receivers of Warsaw-Pact AKM's.

would these chinese ak's take bulgarian ak mags? the waffle pattern ones to be exact..

They will take any AK mag I've ever come across and all drums, the waffle pattern bulgarians are the ones I prefer for my MAK-90 there's one in it right now and it fits better than the Norinco mags that came with it.

My pre ban Norinco 84-S (the .223) takes the Bulgy waffles just fine. The steel .223 mags are pricey. So is the 84-S if you get it from someone asking full price. I saw one Sat at the local gun show for $1650...same one I see that guy with every year...lol.

I bought mine on a forum from a collector, with the original box, all paperwork and original accessories, two mags, bayo, FH, all that...

for $850 a few years ago.

You can probably find a x39 for around that if you look around.

post-1293-0-12720500-1295286985_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

I own a Mak-90 witch my grandfather gave me for my 18th birthday. It is top notch quality with a nice polished blued finish. I made it compliant with some cheapo tapco stuff ( big plans for the future with furniture). The trigger is amazing, very smooth and light. The bolt and carrier is nickle plated with the thicker receiver and barrel. Ive shot many AKs and i still think the mak beats out a large majority of them. Its funny how it says made in china on the side though. The only thing i wish it had was a threaded barrel and side mount. But if you could get one id jump on it. Heres mine! (sorry for the bad pic)gallery_27610_613_1973.jpg

• 2 months later...

Guess it just depends what you want.

Just got a Poly Tech AKS-762 for $1200

DSC00345.jpg

(Video of me shooting it:

)

The quality of build, lack of 922® drama, and 1.5mm receiver made it worth the change for me.

Same with Norinco 84Ses, though I've found the base gun for cheaper online (if not the mags).

But, yeah, heard great things about the de-banned MAK-90s too.

• 2 weeks later...

I own one. First AK I ever bought. I've used the snot out of it without any problems. I've had it long enough and hard enough to restock it. Even for a PreBan, 16 seems high for one. 12 would be a better price, more in the ball park. I sold a PolyTech Legend NIB for $1800

DITTO X 1,000!!!!

I bought mine NIB in 1988 at a local gun show for $350 OTD! What a fantastic weapon. Always reliable and never a hiccup. Haven't had it out for a while but she still looks like brand new!

Yes, $1,600 is high UNLESS itis NIB and unfired. Offer him less and see what happens.

Good luck!

In the meantime you can drool over mine.....:haha:

0602081656-1.jpg

IMG_1107-1-1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Black adder, that's a nice MAK90 conversion. I did the same to my second one, as well as installed the side scope mount. Iron Wood Designs rocks!! Yours looks fantastic!!!!!!

FL Thunder Stick, that is definitely a drool worthy collection!!!!!!!!!! That 56s is just freaking georgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!

To the OP, that is WAY freaking expensive. I say pick up a MAK90 and convert it the same as Black Adder did, and you will have one of the best variants out there. As previously mentioned, excellent fit and finish, smooth action, thicker receiver, etc....

MAKs are great. I don't see the point in paying extra for a pre-ban, especially if you can find one with a straight-cut receiver. Even if you can only find a slant-cut receiver, the Ironwood stock is well made and counts as a compliance part.

If you are really set on having lugs and a cleaning rod, then go pre-ban. Otherwise go MAK and thread the muzzle.

Even though several different factories produce Chinese AKs (386, 66, etc) they are all nearly identical. Polytech and Norinco are made-for-export brands and have nothing to do with where they were made or their quality of construction. My milled MAK-91 is also made at factory 386 like most of the Polytechs were and is essentially the same gun but without lugs and a chopped receiver. I paid well under half of what a Polytech would run and I don't feel bad shooting it.