What would you do? (FTE)

Howdy folks. I've been reading quite a bit about how to deal with my Saiga-12's FTE problem... still not sure there's a consensus on the right sequence of fixes to try. What would be the best approach to deal with my gun?

Here's where I'm at:

Unconverted Saiga 12. 19"

Three-ports, unobstructed (I can see them easily after the plug is removed.

I've fired 150 rounds through the gun:

75 Remington Target. These FTE @10% with the stock mag, @20% with my MD20.

25 Federal Target. These FTE @40% with the stock mag, @80% with my MD20.

50 Remington Game. These FTE @15% with the stock mag, 100% with my MD20.

I'm thinking of trying the KA puck first since those whose guns match mine (FTE, anemic ejection) report good results with the KA puck.

I have a conversion kit lying here, but I wonder if I shouldn't try the warranty route first.

Any suggestions?

I really do want to convert it, but it'll void the warranty.

Warranty? Warranty? We don't need no steenkin' warranty!

Shoot more, lots more, and make sure she's good and broken in, then start changing stuff. Oh, and sending the bolt off for a good polish is a good idea too.

Is it possible to check the ports without removing the gas block?

Yes, just unscrew the gas plug/regulator all the way out and have a look into the gas block to visually inspect the ports.

I took out the plug and shined a flashlight down the barrel; I could see light coming out of all three ports.

Try shooting it, with some high-powered ammo, magnum buck-shot and slugs are preferred.

It WILL wear in.

Oh and CONVERT that weapon, I must've mis-read that you fired an unconverted weapon with the MD-20 installed as that would break federal law 922r...

I know that's not what you wrote, we all know that you wouldn't openly admit on a public internet forum that you had broken a federal law... :lolol: :lolol:

Seriously though, convert it and don't look back, you'll absolutely love the feel of the trigger pull and the weapon's ergonomics will make you fall in love with it. :smoke:

Edited by Caged

Can't you replace enough parts to use the drum legally without conversion? Tapco T6 stock and pistol grip, US puck, US plug, US mag, US rail or handguard.

Yes but I'm pretty sure he would've mentioned them...

I was joking though, no one has been convicted of 922r violations to date. That's why I said, "Seriously though..." afterward.

I must've mis-read that you fired an unconverted weapon with the MD-20 installed as that would break federal law 922r...

I know that's not what you wrote, we all know that you wouldn't openly admit on a public internet forum that you had broken a federal law... :lolol: :lolol:

Of course not! I meant that I loaded the rounds into the MD20 and popped them out by hand. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Who here doesn't love the warm fuzzy they get knowing that 922r is out there keeping us safe?

Edited by mEnTL32

No offense but at 150 rounds and mostly low brass you gun isn't broken in yet.

My recomendation is to either polish friction points or keep feeding it ammo. I understand it can be frustrating at first, but stick it out a little longer. Look at the hammer face and the bolt on your gun. I bet they still look damn close to new.

Have you ran some full flavor(read: high brass) rounds though it yet? I love the winchester Xpert duck and goose loads, Cheap and plenty of power. shop around and you should be able to buy 100 packs for about $40. I picked up a case of 250 3" #2 for $90 at gander mountain on sale...

If you get around 500 rounds with at least 100 high brass through it and its still having problems you need to look into having warenty work done on it.

Howdy folks. I've been reading quite a bit about how to deal with my Saiga-12's FTE problem... still not sure there's a consensus on the right sequence of fixes to try. What would be the best approach to deal with my gun?

Here's where I'm at:

Unconverted Saiga 12. 19"

Three-ports, unobstructed (I can see them easily after the plug is removed.

I've fired 150 rounds through the gun:

75 Remington Target. These FTE @10% with the stock mag, @20% with my MD20.

25 Federal Target. These FTE @40% with the stock mag, @80% with my MD20.

50 Remington Game. These FTE @15% with the stock mag, 100% with my MD20.

I'm thinking of trying the KA puck first since those whose guns match mine (FTE, anemic ejection) report good results with the KA puck.

I have a conversion kit lying here, but I wonder if I shouldn't try the warranty route first.

Any suggestions?

The increased pressure of the MD-20 is why you are seeing a higher rate of FTE's with it. If you loaded it with the same rounds as the stick mag you would likely have the same ratio.

You should be able to resolve your issues witha little polishing.

As far as the KA piston... There really isn't a piston on the market that increases the cycling power much at all and in my opinion they shouldn't be advertised as such. We have finished our production run on a new piston design that will though. It has multiple times the increase of the KA piston and will be A LOT cheaper as well. It will be about 4 weeks before we can release them though because we are getting them coated in something special. The company doing the finish on them has about a 2 week lead time to build the fixturing to hold them for finishing and about a week lead time on applying the finish. That leaves us a week to package them and get them listed for sale. If you can hold off for ours you will be glad you did...

No offense but at 150 rounds and mostly low brass you gun isn't broken in yet.

+1

I have gotta agree with most folks here. Convert and Polish(or shoot the piss out of it). Use some heavier loads if u choose to break it in. Be patient with the s12. Once she starts running she'll be unstoppable. Congrats on the new s12. You know I've heard that the Benneli M4 doesn't like light loads much at first either. Also the FN SLP has to be switch from low brass to high just like the S12. Those are great shotties however they cost twice as much as the S12. The S12 is a hell of a deal. Keep trying and it soon will be shooting cheap crap. Don't give up. I love the cheap crap too.

Edited by redfish28

Stansplace is right. I was in the exact same boat you are in right now. I bought mine from a buddy who bought it brand new and never fired it. I ran all kinds of mags through it and it ran like crap. I think I put about the same amount that you did through it and was pissed. I brought it home, cleaned it, oiled the crap out of it, wiped it down and ran it again the following week. It ran flawlessly through every mag I gave it, including cheap low brass ammo. You gotta break it in, and keep it lubricated. It will eventually break in and fire pretty much anything you give it (at least thats the way mine works). And make sure that you gas setting is set at the appropriate number for your ammo. Good Day sir.