AR-15 flip up's on a Saiga

Ok, so I was throwing around the idea of putting AR-15 flip up sights on a saiga x39 or 308 (if it worked on my x39).

Has anyone done this? I searched the website and couldn't find jack on the subject.

I was wondering if they would be too high? Or if there is a lo-pro version out there that would work. The problems that I may see. Is that the AK platform isn't a true flat top rifle. Is there a way to make them a flat top?

Maybe remove the rear sight all together by cutting it down and removing the FSB? Or using a texasweapon system dog leg rail with a UTG front hand guard (SANS FSB)?

I think it would look slick if there was a way to get the rifle fully flat topped. Maybe I'm just missing something....Or wishing too hard?

Anyone try this? Did it work? Cause I'd hate to shell out over $300 just to find out it didn't. LOL.

Anyway, any help is good help.

Ok, so I was throwing around the idea of putting AR-15 flip up sights on a saiga x39 or 308 (if it worked on my x39).

Has anyone done this? I searched the website and couldn't find jack on the subject.

I was wondering if they would be too high? Or if there is a lo-pro version out there that would work. The problems that I may see. Is that the AK platform isn't a true flat top rifle. Is there a way to make them a flat top?

Maybe remove the rear sight all together by cutting it down and removing the FSB? Or using a texasweapon system dog leg rail with a UTG front hand guard (SANS FSB)?

I think it would look slick if there was a way to get the rifle fully flat topped. Maybe I'm just missing something....Or wishing too hard?

Anyone try this? Did it work? Cause I'd hate to shell out over $300 just to find out it didn't. LOL.

Anyway, any help is good help.

I've seen it on the shotguns more than the rifles.

If you are going to mount on a rail atop of the dust cover or gas tube it will be really high and you won't see anything with a normal cheek weld.

I would look into mounting a front sight at barrel height with some sort of clamp on rail and use the existing rear sight if I had to have AR sights on a Saiga. You could see if a clamp on railed gas block from an AR has a close enough internal diameter to do it, or just get something like this:

post-4669-0-23939000-1297879399_thumb.jpg

Maybe something like this? http://www.midwayusa...ctnumber=860376

860376.jpg

I already have a crapco 6 pos stock and this would fit it.

Plus on another note. Aren't the scopes and mounts for aks darn high? Maybe it would have to come down to how much up and down play the front and rear (is any on rear) would be.

I'm just looking for something diffrent. And a new look for my saiga.

EDIT: Just found this ditty.

TITAN_QUAD_RAIL.jpg

I wonder if the h&k sights are removable and if the system fits x39's?

Edited by MH12194

If thats what your talking about the only major issue I see is the added height to a proper cheek weld.

There have been members here who have made pads from foam or the gel used in mouse pads and sutch with cord, cloth or leather. There are many solutions to the issue, but its more practical to lower the sights to the barrel if thats possible.

That's cool and all. But was talking about making the Saiga a flat top. Then adding a front and rear sight. Maybe even grinding down the rear sight block.

Good luck. Just posted this same question to another member. Make sure you actually need all those rails on the rifle. One of the beauties of the AK system is out of the box it needs very little. What do you need on a rifle that requires all of that extra weight and bulk? Are you sure its something that can't be addressed in another fashion(lighter fashion...)?

Edit---

found the quote...

From Jeff Cooper - Art Of The Rifle:

Regarding weight, there is a simple test anyone can do in the store, on the range, or in the field. The shooter should grasp the piece with his right hand in a firing grip and hold it out shoulder high, at arm's length, muzzle vertical for 60 seconds. If he finds this exercise painful or even difficult, his rifle is too heavy.

I know many here are guilty of breaking this rule(fitness wise as well as from their rifle setup perspective). Having a bench gun is fun just call it what it is.

Edited by jamesavery22

I'm just looking to do something diffrent.

If I could find a way to get some galil sights on it i'd be happier.

I honestly think the H&K sights should stay on an H&K rifle. They just look ugly to me. They may work tho.

It's a project gun. That's why I bought it. I'm not a soldier that need to shoot it for survival. If I need a survival rifle I have many others to choose from.

Maybe I should just remove my saiga reciever and build a krink on it? Cause that's more tacticool and costs way more. Plus I'll look cool at the gun range with my tac vest.

sheesh...

Some people just can't leave well enough alone. I'm one of those people. If people don't try and tweek things or try to make things better. There isn't any progress. What if RedJacket arms desided to leave well enough alone or Arsenal or any other company out there that mods saiga rifles? Would there be such a huge conversion community?

Sorry, ranting.

If you come up with a way to better the AK platform more power to you.

A full railed flat top bolted to the top of the AK isn't what I call progress.

By all means please try. As you said without cannon fodder you don't get much forward progress. Better to have at least slightly educated cannon fodder though...

Comparing this to Will's work is pretty lame. That whole company has tons of knowledge. I dont work for them so I have no idea how they map out projects but I know it's not very respectful to imply they just make blind decisions to try crap. Who knows, maybe they do. I'm not going to compare my work to them and say they do though...

Sorry, ranting.

edit----

Oh and a full railed "flat top" setup has been available for a while:

http://www.botachtactical.com/tdix47ak5sy.html

Buy/copy that. Please do a review for all of us. CAA has produced that since pre-2004 and I've never seen a review on it. Should be a stink to most but hey have at it.

Edited by jamesavery22
  • Like 1

LOL, I never said those companies made blind decisions. They innovate and come up with plans to make their products.

Anyway, if you would have just said (Hey, that they already make a flat top rail) it would have been less dramatic.

No need to get your panties in a bunch over it.

Plus the thing you just posted me to look at is friggen crazy. Thats alot of metal. A simple rail running down the top of the AK would be much better IMO.

Saying I'm being disrespectful is a lil out there. Also saying I'm trying to compare what I'm trying to do to those established companies. Is just stupid to even think that. I'm no where near close to making products like theirs.

Opinions are opinions if ya ask me. Some people say Ak's shouldn't be touched others say make it so it's like an AR and put lazers and flashlights on it. I'm just looking for a diffrent sighting system and if anyone had tried it. Is that so wrong?

But seriously. What if people just left the Saiga alone and never converted it because it was soooo perfect?

Edited by MH12194

EDIT: Just found this ditty.

TITAN_QUAD_RAIL.jpg

That's pretty Bad Assed!

.....Who makes that?

It's a chaos rail. I've herd they have problems with this line. And are now on back order. not confirmed. Also I'm waiting to hear back from them to see If I can fit one of their products to the x39. Still no reply by email.

Just to clear some things up. I wanted to show what I was talking about making. Here is a ruff design (using pimpmygun):

This would be the .308 version

SAIGA308design.jpg

Would need the proper hand guards and other stuff to make it work.

Edited by MH12194