Going Green Conversion part 4...done

Earlier in the week I installed the bolt on trigger guard, taped off the exposed parkerizing and shot it with Aluma-Hyde. I put it on pretty thick so it took awhile to cure. The semi gloss is a close enough match for me.

C22.jpg

C23.jpg

The K-Var OD green furniture took a bit of fitting, especially the top hand guard. This was the first time I did the traditional style AK forearm. The gas tube and bolt on retainer needed a bit of grinding to fit properly. Nothing is jammed on and all fits fine without any barrel contact. Still need to touch it up with some paint and lock tight it.

C24.jpg

C25.jpg

The stock took the required usual filing. Was careful not to take too much off, I wanted a tight fit and had to use a rubber mallet to get it all the way seated. Before pounding it on I ground the bottom corners off enough to allow for the plastic hole plugs.

C26.jpg

C27.jpg

C28.jpg

C29.jpg

Reusing the factory screws for the stock was a challenge. After drilling the pilot I ended up using a 11/32 bit and had to flare the top for the Russian screws to fully seat.

C30.jpg

When I buy the pistol grip nut alone it fits my Hogue grips but when I buy it with the screw they need a bit of grinding for a snug fit. I ended up using a 10mm bolt that locks up nice and tight.

C31.jpg

C32.jpg

I install the FCG a little different than most of the tutorials I've seen. Everything goes in at an angle, the spring goes over the trigger and then I just twist each part till the cross shafts go through. Seems to work fine without any hassle. Didn't put the BHO back in so I used a washer to accommodate the width difference.

C33.jpg

C34.jpg

The retaining plate dropped right in and required no grinding to clear the bolt.

C35.jpg

C36.jpg

The wife is happy with her new green machine and I'm pleased as well. Will have to put on a nice Russian green canvas sling to set it off.

C37.jpg

• Like 4

Looks awesome, nice job. B) Looks just like my SGL, right down to the Hogue PG. How closely does that OD Circle 10 mag match the furniture ? I was thinking of getting one, but on the K-VAR website it looks like it's a pea soup color.(yuck, hopefully it's just the lighting)

Also, the Bulgarian OD mil-surp slings will match your furniture more closely than the Russian ones. That's what I have on my SGL.

Thanks for the complements guys.

scattergun10 the mag is close but not exact, it's lighter. It's not as light as the website pic, that's a bad photo. The K-Var furniture itself has variation in coloring...ie the stock, hand guard upper and lower are all little different. None so off they look bad though. The plastic mag and furniture are a different sheen/texture, same with the rubber Hogue. All together I'm OK with them.....was wondering how close or off they would be when ordering, but I'm pleased.

Appreciate the info about the Bulgy sling. Will have to hunt one down. I like having a Russian one on my black 7.62. Want a simple sling for the wife's rifle as well.

Looks nice. I am paranoid about putting the trigger guard nuts on the inside of the receiver though. Lol.

I reused my old trigger guard after my restoration. Somehow the nuts came loose, but were stripped. I had a hellacious time getting them back out. I bought the Saiga RTG from Dinzag, and the screws bolt to the trigger guard from inside the receiver out.

• 4 months later...

Nice work....now get out there and shot some zombies :killer:

Well shit, I hope he has by now. It's been months. ;)

The pics do look sweet. Very nice. :up:

notice he did say "shot" some zombies. past tense. so I think secretly he knew zombies would be shot by now.