Why Don't People Use the Factory Trigger Guard?

Lots of guys use the factory guard, actually. But the reason the aftermarket DIY guards are popular is because the incorporate the PG mount.

It handles the whole job in one piece and no riveting.

^ Pretty much this.

Of course, when I converted my x39, I reused the trigger guard. Then again, there weren't any DIY style trigger guard for the rifles back then.

I've used the factory TG on most all of my conversions. Only on a couple, where I really wanted it to look as authentic as possible, and be virtually indestructible.... did I use a real AK TG that I trimmed down (or the similar AK Builder one I sell here), because they are simply the best way to go IMHO. They don't mount with two fasteners in a straight line, using only existing holes....they use three to 5 fasteners spread out in a triangular pattern, like the orginal Kalashnikov design. It's got more side to side support.

There are a lot of people though, who come here and read about how to convert their own guns... and a very small number of them actually jump in and go for it. Of those people, there are a very few who do so without any fear or worry, that they might "mess up their gun". Out of those few, there are even fewer who actually have the skills to do all the things it takes to make the original TG work and look good. (Yes I know it's not that hard) The vast majority of people visiting this forum are not experienced in doing this kind of operation, are not confident in what they are about to take on, and want the easiest, most fool proof way to put a trigger guard on it. That's why the DIY TG kits sell so well. They use easy to install screws, through existing holes in the receiver. Like Bob said, they also come with an integral PG mount bushing, so that takes the most difficult part out of adding a PG.

It's all preference and what's really important to you. I prefer to use steel rivets, or at least button cap machine screws that look almost like rivets at first glance, with the threaded plate inside on the floor of the receiver.

Edit to add...the factory TG is great to re use on all the Saigas besides the S-12, which it also works quite well on if you want two fasteners in a straight line. On them at least it looks authentic because of the mag catch housing.

My S12 originally used the factory TG, but it was only riveted on the front. It was welded on the back and I busted the weld twice.

TG1.jpg

TG2.jpg

I went with the Tromix DIY TG and haven't had it come loose yet. I don't know if it's overkill, but I installed longer screws in from the bottom with nuts on the inside of the receiver. I added a rubber bumper behind the trigger too:

triggerguard.jpg

internals2.jpg

So my suggestion would be, if you're going to use the factory TG, rivet it. Otherwise, there's some nice aftermarket parts out there.