Save yourself some money. Forget the high brass ammo and hand cycle it violently 1000 times with no lube. The weapon is not designed to fire "low brass" and if it isn't getting sufficient gas to cycle "low brass", firing "high brass" will not cure the lack of gas. If all you intend to do is fire "high brass".... then get out your wallet and go for it.

Congrats!

• Like 1

Save yourself some money. Forget the high brass ammo and hand cycle it violently 1000 times with no lube. The weapon is not designed to fire "low brass" and if it isn't getting sufficient gas to cycle "low brass", firing "high brass" will not cure the lack of gas. If all you intend to do is fire "high brass".... then get out your wallet and go for it.

Congrats!

+1......it could be fun, lol

Congrats!

+1......it could be fun, lol

Hand cycling during American Idol is great for driving the wife nuts :angel:

• Like 1

Looks good, Man

That K-var forend is really starting to grow on me.

Congrats - BTW, most new guns that I'm hearing about tend to run birdshot with no problems - Izhmash has picked it up with regards to Quality Control.

Looks good, Man

Congrats - BTW, most new guns that I'm hearing about tend to run birdshot with no problems - Izhmash has picked it up with regards to Quality Control.

I was trying to figure out why the sling attachment was on the side.

I already check the ports right away and I've got 3 fully visible.

A co-worker gave me some highbrass 3" that he doesn't use anymore so I have that to start out with. Will definately be stocking up on some wally world fed when I can.

Looks good, Man

I was trying to figure out why the sling attachment was on the side.

I already check the ports right away and I've got 3 fully visible.

A co-worker gave me some highbrass 3" that he doesn't use anymore so I have that to start out with. Will definately be stocking up on some wally world fed when I can.

The weapon will hang better when slung due to the sling loop being on the side.

If the etching is an issue, when you send the gun to tromix (or somewhare else) for a build, just have them weld it up and then resurface it. It's not a big job, so it should be reasonably priced.

• Like 1
The weapon is not designed to fire "low brass

My gun is bone stock with factory plug and on setting #1 and have only shot low brass threw it. But I also reload my own shot shells to and use a faster burning powder then what you get when you buy 12 ga ammo from walmart.

• 1 month later...

Your model SGL-12-02 should have the bolt hold open device that holds the bolt open when pulled back to make it easier to insert a loaded magazine . You Saiga doesn't have the " Last Round Bolt Hold Open " which holds the bolt open after the last shot is fired . These are two different bolt hold open devices .Hope this info helps you figure it out . You should be able to live with the etching on the side . I have three Saiga 12 's and one has the etching and I don't discriminate against it because has a birth mark . LOL

My gun is bone stock with factory plug and on setting #1 and have only shot low brass threw it. But I also reload my own shot shells to and use a faster burning powder then what you get when you buy 12 ga ammo from walmart.

OMG...Avatars are just getting way to hot! Great Job! Oh, and nice S-12! :)

This is the reverse of what you need to do. Bulk ammo uses fast-burning powder because it is fewer grains-per-shot and hence cheaper to make...in addition to very light weight shot loads being more appropriate for faster powders.

Heavy game loads and magnum loads do NOT necessarily run at higher peak pressure than lighter weight loads being driven by faster burning powder. When you have a gas-driven system it is not necessarily WHAT the peak pressure is but WHEN it occurs. If bulk ammo loads are not cycling in your S12, it is likely that the pressure peak is happening before the wad passes the gas ports. So the pressure has already dropped by the time the wad clears the gas ports and leaves less to work the action. Moving to an even faster powder will only make the problem worse!

Use a recipe for a slower burning powder that is still appropriate for the shot weight you are loading. This should result in higher pressure at the gas ports. If this still doesn't work you can move up to the next heavier shot size and try again....you won't have to run a higher peak pressure but it will move the peak further down the barrel and work the action better.

This is why M1 Garands must use only specific powders and many that are appropriate for 30-06 will blow them up. Slower-burning powders produce higher pressures AT THE GAS PORT than the weapon was designed for, putting too much force into the long, heavy operating rod and breaking it.

I have a Ruger 44mag carbine that was given to me because the owner was too tired of being frustrated with it not working (FTE). Well it turned out there was nothing wrong with the gun, he was feeding it 44mag pistol ammo loaded with fast-burning powder optimized for handguns. I loaded up and fired 100 with a slower-burning powder at similat velocity and had not a single FTE. Pistol rounds got the same velocity but just not high enough pressure down at the gas ports.

Edited by spaniel
  • Like 1

Well I hit the range last night. Last minute decision.

I'll have to say it fired the 3" very well. The first mag of bulk fed the last round out stove piped but that was the only issue out of the 25rds I had with me of that. Shot some 3" BB rounds and I had some flash, and that was unique for me to see on a shotgun. Then I broke out some 2 3/4 Fiochi #6 and I had flames reaching almost 2ft out. I wish I would have had a cam to take pics or vids but I didnt.

Was awesome shooting and can't wait to do more and get some mods going.

Also there was only one other person out when I was and he asked if I was using door breacher rounds due to the flash of the fiocchi.

Oh, and my spelling sucks.