Which 9mm? Any advice and Exp please.

I had the Taurus 100 in. 40. Nice gun, copy of Beretta.

Not many metal semis. Lots of companies are moving to polymer.

EAA Zastava EZ9. Similar to sig 226. Takes Beretta mags with minor mods. Around $400 +/-

EAA M80 (I think) Yugo single action 9mm. Think Tokarev like in 9. $350 +/-

Norinco 9mm Tokarev

Tangfolio

Baby eagle

Witness

all CZ clones. Come in 9 and all steel

Used Sig like a police trade in

Used S&W police trade ins. Usually have numbers not names. Like s&w 2456

1911 9mm

Argentinian Browning

Bullgarian Arkus. A Browning inspired gun

Atm that's all I can think of that are steel and in price range.

Edited by Arik

Glock 19.

Yakdung

When did Glock witch to a metal frame?...

OP I would agree that he EAA is a good one to consider and additionally the Ruger P series. If you can find a cheap used sig that would be best. As far as the taurus berreta clones, I have only heard good things from the people I know who own them.

I love my Taurus PT it's never jammed or mis-fired or had any issues in the thiousands of rounds it has seen. Very easy to use and strip and the newer ones have great features like acc. rails that my model does not...great gun and great prices.

I've not owned the PT92 series, but I HAVE had different Taurus pistols over the years and they're great. I've dealt with their customer service once and it was extremely smooth. They even sent me a pre paid Fed Ex box to ship the pistol to them.

The PT series are made under Beretta license in the former Beretta factory, I think in Brazil. I believe they even incorporated some features that Beretta later used themselves (decock and squared trigger guard for example). If you're thinking of using a supressor down the road, the model PT99 has taller sights.

If you like the Glock features but don't want the poly frame, Wolf carries an aluminum Glock frame that I hear is pretty nice. I've got a model 17, 19, 23 and 26. I use the 17 and 23 the most, with a preference for the 23. Looking at getting a 9mm and 357 Sig barrel for the 23, as well as a 22 conversion. One pistol, 4 calibers.

I hope this helps.

Glock 19.

Yakdung

When did Glock witch to a metal frame?...

OP I would agree that he EAA is a good one to consider and additionally the Ruger P series. If you can find a cheap used sig that would be best. As far as the taurus berreta clones, I have only heard good things from the people I know who own them.

"Which 9mm? Any advice and Exp please."

Again, Glock 19.

Yakdung

Great examples and experiences! Glock is a very good pistol. I have fired them, 9mm, and do not like the feel of them. I had a XD-45 Tactical that I gave to my best friend, and it would shoot anything put into it and was accurate as any pistol I have every shot. I just couldn't get past the plastic lower and the long/mushy trigger. The trigger was going to be fixed with a Springer kit, if I had kept it. But my buddy really like the pistol, so it was his. For the 40 s&w, I might look at another xd, but for the 9mm, want to stick to metal framed. Just my taste, that is all. Nothing wrong with plastic or resin lowers. CZ is really starting to jump out at me. And I have looked at the EAA. Nothing has been ruled out thus far.......

I just took my Beretta 92FS Inox out today and I have to say I forgot how good the trigger is. Mine's just a target gun with a brake and it's a joy to shoot every time-smooth, little to no recoil, no issues ever. Controls are well placed and smooth as silk....

My experience if you cant hit a target with a 92FS you should get a different hobby. I understand the newer Taurus is way better than those of the past. I am a big fan of my H&K USP, something to look in to. If you dont want to spend a lot Beretta!

Edited by Yoshi

Never miss a lick with my Taurus PT 92 or PT101. I loan it out to friends to take their CHL, and they have all been surprised at the accuracy.

A friend has the Beretta 92 and we have shot them side by side. No noticeable difference between the two.

The 92/101 is too large to carry concealed, and for that a Springfield XD does the trick.

Like I said in another post, Taurus doesn't particularly suck. A lot of people have got to hate.

The original PT92s were steel frame, the new ones are polymer. The Beretta clone models, not all PT-

models, which is how taurus numbers everything, were made off of purchased beretta tooling in the brazil

plant after they bought beretta out. Now, even with the same tooling, you can have bigger tolerances, and

use lesser quality materials. Or, you can just not charge premium for your nameplate.

If you're looking for a steel target gun, a used Ruger P-89 (I think that's the 9mm one) is a fucking

tank of a gun. The CZ-75B is all steel and is fun as well. Please decide on what features you would like,

do you want a decocker, do you want a safety, how big a mag do you want, how long a barrel.

I hold Ruger and CZ and Glock and Kahr and SA a step above Taurus and the modern S&W and the modern Colt (pistols),

and I hold Sig, HK, Kimber, and such above that. I think you should choose a brand based on what sort of gun features

they offer as opposed to any quality rumors.

Also, wildcard here: A used Walther P-1 is CHEAP and fun. However, the trigger is horrible and accuracy not so much

on the one I have, however that may just be my particular gun. I paid 189 used for mine, and it's worth that, at least.

IMHO I would, and have, get a new or used Sig P226. I have had the Beretta 92FS and G19 and while not bad pistols my Sig is the only one that still is in my stable. I use this very pistol for local conpetitions and have done fairly well. The Sig is an accurate shooter and not too heavy...every now and then she performs duty as my CCW.

My only other options I could recommend would either be a Desert Eagle or Kimber in in .45acp

Hope this all works out,

MCASSgt New River

Check out the CZ75. Good, solid, reliable gun. Or the New P01 / SP01. But I think they are some kind of an alloy. Or one of them is. Not sure you'd have to look them up.

CZ75 All steel 2.2lbs

CZ P01 is a light alloy frame, steel slide 1.8lbs (28.8oz)

CZ SP-01 is a steel gun. 2.4lbs (38.4oz)

Sigs are awsome especially if you can find the Police thrade ins. Those would be in your price range. They are still great guns worst case they'd have some finish wear. But all are functional.

Coeger makes a Beretta like copy.

P.S.

I just remembered...they do make a Desert "Baby" Eagle in 9mm. Might be something to consider...they look wicked and fit damn near perfect in most hands. Numbers in () are calibers, i.e. (9mm), (.40), and (.45acp)

Just google "Desert Eagle 9mm" and it should be the first link to pops up.

Full Size Specs:

• Black, steel frame, slide safety, decocker
  • Double action/Single action
  • Barrel length 4.52" (full-size)
  • Grip, full-size 3 ¾"
  • *Weight w/empty magazine 2 lbs. 6.6 oz. (9)
  • *Weight w/empty magazine 2 lbs. 5.9 oz. (40)
  • Overall length 8 ¼"
  • Height 5 ¾"
  • Width 1 1/8"
  • Polygonal rifling
  • Picatinny rail
  • 9mm magazine capacity 10-rds and 15-rds
  • .40S&W magazine capacity 10-rds and 13-rds

Semi-Compact Specs:

• Black, steel frame, slide safety, decocker
  • Double action/Single action
  • Barrel length 3.93" (semi-compact)
  • Grip, full-size 3 ¾"
  • *Weight w/empty magazine 2 lbs. 5.7 oz. (9)
  • *Weight w/empty magazine 2 lbs. 4.4 oz. (40)
  • *Weight w/empty magazine 2 lbs. 7.8 oz. (45)
  • Overall length 7 ¾"
  • Height 5 ¾"
  • Width 1 1/8"
  • Polygonal rifling
  • Picatinny rail
  • 9mm magazine capacity 10-rds and 15-rds
  • .40S&W magazine capacity 10-rds and 13-rds
  • .45ACP magazine capacity 10-rds

HInt, hint....I have the .45 its GREAT!

Thank you all for such great, indepth information! Information overload about to occur...:) I am not ruling out the CZ's. Alloy is fine, just don't want plastic/resin lower. I have also looked at most of what you all have suggested. Desert Eagles are sweet, but not in my price category. I will admit, with the exception of my S-12 (and in fairness, with high brass it does exactly what it is suppose to do), I have had no malfunctions/canted sights/nicks/pings/dents/malfunctions/etc., etc. in any weapon I have ever purchase. So the PT92/100's are still at the top of my list....but they are getting edged out by the CZ's and if Beretta's go on sale, that as well. Colt is out. Great pistols, but out of my price range, and Kimbers, never even considered them. Not my cup of tea. I like buying firearms as a hobby...something to build on and learn from. So I don't mind getting a lower priced pistol, as long as it is not dangerous (I know, common sense but). Tweaks I can work with and rather enjoy. Plus, I feel that a 9mm that doesn't have a high capacity magazine kind of defeats the purpose. Just my opinion. I was at the range a few months ago...and this very well off Gentleman next to me told me I need to practice more. I replied "Why? All of my shots are in the torso...what else should I want?" He told me "I should aim for 3-4 inch groups at 25 yards...anything else is a waste of bullets." I also noticed he had 3 kimbers on his table, one of those meters that measure the speed of the bullet, and all of the other gizmo's I can't even think of what they were for. I thanked him for his advice, but I was more then happy with my spread. After that, all I got was contempuous looks from him. So, again, thank you all for your input, guidance and exp! I am not willing to pay over $550 for a handgun. We all have our limits...that is mine. Semper Fi!

Edit: OK, think this is OK to post since it isn't for sale. Opinions on this one? http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-75-bd/ really kind of confused on the CZ's....do not want compact, and 5" barrel is perfectly fine!

Edited by sjgusmc21

"Which 9mm? Any advice and Exp please."

Again, Glock 19.

Yakdung

Once again I concur with Yakdung!

However, if you must have steel, there is nothing wrong with a good old GP35, AKA Browning High Power! :D

This pistol is proven and has most likely serviced more bad guys then every other 9mm mentioned... except maybe the Glock!

Hello

If you posted what you intended to use this pistol for, then I missed it.

If it's for C/C, then a nice relatively small steel framed SA/DA pistol is the CZ RAMI. I think it's also a CZ-85 something.

It's a single stack 9mm, 10+1, so if you're looking for tremendous firepower that probably won't suit you.

If you were willing to waive your steel frame requirement I'd suggest at least looking at a Ruger SR9-C. It comes with both 10 and 17 round mags so it pulls double-duty as both a very capable range pistol and an excellent C/C weapon (my current choice)

It sports true full ambi controls, great adjustable sights, changeable backstrap, loaded and cocked indicators, trigger safety a la Glock, and an external safety if you care to use it. 10+1 is hopefully adequate for anything I run into.

Got "handgun of the year" award last year, FWIW.

JMHO...

-guido

Thank you again for all of your input and advice. I plan to only use it for target practice and home defense. Not a carry. However, I am thinking very seriously of applying for my CC license very soon. When that time comes, I will look at a compact, and I have received some great suggestions! As stated, I was going to go for a 9mm and hold off on a 40 until later. Well, my Gunsmith Buddy (Marine buddy/retired state trooper as well) talked me into getting a Taurus PT101. When I went into this, I was thinking that 9mm ammo is much cheaper then 40. I was wrong. A few bucks, but that is all. So, I pulled the trigger on the 40. So now I have a RIA HC 1911 and a Taurus PT101 on layaway. That is it for now. BUT, I will get a 9mm after this one, and these suggestions are fantastic. I am looking at the Ruger pistols as well. I have always liked Ruger (my fathers .357 Mag Security Six is fantastic....need some trigger work though). I do like the SR9 series and have been eyeballing the Taurus 24/7 G2 series. Man, life is good when my concerns are which pistol to buy! And no, I have not ruled out Glock. They are fantastic pistols just as the XD(M) series are as well. However, I need to get back to my beginnings and improve my shooting. Doesn't matter if I have a 9mm, 22 LR, 44 Mag, etc., if I can't hit it doesn't matter. Once again, THANK YOU for all of your advice, as it has helped me and hopefully others as well.

Edited by sjgusmc21

Fabrique Nationale de Herstal makes some nice 9mm and .40cal pistols too (FNX's). Featuring ambidextrous controls, external safety (trigger disengagement), 1911 style carry cocked and locked, decocker, Sig type takedown, interchangebale backstraps, picatinny rail, three mags standard. Made in the USA.

http://www.fnherstal.com/index.php?id=269&backPID=263&productID=146&pid_product=295&pidList=263&categorySelector=5&detail=&cHash=2a3c25c952

I guess they changed the name back to FNP.

Looks like they have a striker fired version out now too.

http://www.fnherstal.com/index.php?id=269&backPID=263&productID=172&pid_product=295&pidList=263&categorySelector=5&detail=&cHash=fcfd50b577

Fabrique Nationale de Herstal makes some nice 9mm and .40cal pistols too (FNX's). Featuring ambidextrous controls, external safety (trigger disengagement), 1911 style carry cocked and locked, decocker, Sig type takedown, interchangebale backstraps, picatinny rail, three mags standard. Made in the USA.

http://www.fnherstal.com/index.php?id=269&backPID=263&productID=146&pid_product=295&pidList=263&categorySelector=5&detail=&cHash=2a3c25c952

I guess they changed the name back to FNP.

Looks like they have a striker fired version out now too.

http://www.fnherstal.com/index.php?id=269&backPID=263&productID=172&pid_product=295&pidList=263&categorySelector=5&detail=&cHash=fcfd50b577

YES indeed! I drooled over them when I first saw them. At the top of the list for sure! Thank you. I must say I do prefer a hammer....another thing I didn't like about the XD45.

Another vote for the CZ 75B. I put some Hogue wrap-around grips on mine and love it. A little on the heavy side fully loaded, but the slide rides inside the frame making it quite slim for a full sized 9mm. It's probably the best handgun in my collection for accuracy.