Just got my bolt back from Pauly...

I gotta say this man went above and beyond what my expecations were for the amount of money he charges. I was considering trying the job myself and i almost want to slap myself for even thinking about it.... some things are better left for proffesionals and that is exactly what pauly is. He also welded a tromix vertical charging handle for me and did an awesome job.

Pauly got a bit backed up bc of the special he was running so when it came time to ship it he forked out the cash for 2 day mail which was expensive as hell... just goes to show how far he is willing to go to keep a customer which he certainly did with me. If you are looking to get your bolt polished look no further the guy is passionate about what he does and usually thats what it takes to be great at what you do.

Thanks Pauly

• Like 1

Mine is on it's way to me now.

A little advice Pauly, don't ever stop communicating with the customer. To me that's even more important than the money. He contacted me a couple times over some minor details to make sure I would be satisfied.

I have a gun with another forum vender here. I was told over a month ago that it was being finished but they just will not let me know anything even after numerous calls and emails. I don't know what to think. Has the gun has been lost, stolen, in a fire or WTF.

I gotta say this man went above and beyond what my expecations were for the amount of money he charges. I was considering trying the job myself and i almost want to slap myself for even thinking about it.... some things are better left for proffesionals and that is exactly what pauly is. He also welded a tromix vertical charging handle for me and did an awesome job.

Pauly got a bit backed up bc of the special he was running so when it came time to ship it he forked out the cash for 2 day mail which was expensive as hell... just goes to show how far he is willing to go to keep a customer which he certainly did with me. If you are looking to get your bolt polished look no further the guy is passionate about what he does and usually thats what it takes to be great at what you do.

Thanks Pauly

Thank you, & you're very welcome.

I only ship 2-day express air in special cases though.

In your case, yours was off to the side & I accidentally did another guy's VCH thinking it was yours, then noticed I screwed up a week later & so rushed it to you to make up the difference.

If I did 2-day air for every order, I'd be paying you guys to work on your parts & although I like to think I'm altruistic, I just can't do that & survive.

I'm already losing my arse with my prices so low with the ammount of time I put into each piece.

Like I've said before, my prices will go up.

These ridiculously low prices are simply an introductory price.

By all rights, the time put into a simple GlassBolt should be in the ballpark of $320.00.

The profiling goes real quick.

Bringing it to the level I do takes much longer, but I feel compromising my quality is not an option for me.

On a side note though, I'm thinking of discontinuing offering the VCH in matte.

I personally think it looks better in black or IceRack

The gray color amplifies every tiny tool mark & you can see the slight difference in color from the 30-HRA carrier, my weld steel & the 4140 handle.

In Icerack, it's not noticable, nor is it in black (of course).

Mine is on it's way to me now.

A little advice Pauly, don't ever stop communicating with the customer. To me that's even more important than the money. He contacted me a couple times over some minor details to make sure I would be satisfied.

I have a gun with another forum vender here. I was told over a month ago that it was being finished but they just will not let me know anything even after numerous calls and emails. I don't know what to think. Has the gun has been lost, stolen, in a fire or WTF.

bc5000, I won't.

I understand how important communication is.

I wouldn't want to be ignored, so even though I sometimes spend too much time with communication when I should be turning out pieces, in my view, it's very necessary to keep my clients well informed to the best of my ability if they ask questions.

Please though with your other vendor, keep in mind that nobody expected this saiga-12 explosion to hit like it did & it threw everyone for a loop.

Between the panic buy perpetuated by the ATF scare, Izhmash possibly going under & the S-12 becoming a celebrity overnight, business absolutely blew up for everyone.

I'm sure everyone's noticed none of us vendors have been on the board nearly as much as we used to.

That's because most of us are working 16 hour shifts filling orders.

Personally, I have a net-book with internet that operates off of cell phone towers, so wherever I am, I check my e-mail & respond, but it's a catch 22.

I could turn out an extra set a day if I wasn't responding to customer's questions, but I decided early on that communication, customer satisfaction & unrivaled quality would be my top priorities.

I'll just work longer every day so I can try to do it all & try to keep up.

• Like 7

I could turn out an extra set a day if I wasn't responding to customer's questions, but I decided early on that communication, customer satisfaction & unrivaled quality would be my top priorities.

I'll just work longer every day so I can try to do it all & try to keep up.

+1

:super:

Also just got mine back recently and was thrilled with Pauly's incredible work at an even more incredible price. Not to mention his dedication to keeping his customers up to date on the status of their orders and just generally staying in contact with us despite being balls to the wall busy. thanks again Pauly, keep up the good work!!!!

Thanks guys, but just a heads up, if anyone attempts do DIY, don't try to copy the picture in post #9 above.

The high polish that I put on the underside of my bolt is seriously like a glass mirror to eliminate all tool marks & sharp transitions for the maximum amount of friction reduction & is extremely deceptive in pictures.

In that picture, the way it reflects the objects around it, the room's ceiling, the inside of the receiver and the photographer it actually looks concave on the polished side of the bolt & squared on the underside of the carrier which they are not.

If you try to make the underside of your bolt concave, you will punch through.

Pauly your work is magnificent. I know it took a minute because of all the orders you got hit with, but it was well worth the wait. Not only do all my buddies salivate over the blinding shine on the BCG, but it smoothed out the action and makes the gun work better ejecting light loads. Thanks for the quick responses and keep up the outstanding work!

post-30899-0-57108500-1300935943_thumb.jpg

post-30899-0-75991800-1300935956_thumb.jpg

post-30899-0-42472600-1300935969_thumb.jpg

post-30899-0-06147700-1300935986_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

that ice rack looks awesome man i was considering getting the carrrier polished but i kind of liked the matte finish for that. The high polish makes it look kind of gangsta... Now that i see that im rethinking it though, how do u like it?

I really like the look of it as well as the performance. In addition I'm thinking about having this gun modified to the 8 inch conversion like the ones Cadiz does.

post-30899-0-17571300-1301082503_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Got my bolt/carrier back from Pauly, and it received a Glass Bolt service. Here's some pics:

A couple "before" shots:

2011-03-21_14-02-39_162.jpg

2011-03-21_14-02-31_312.jpg

Some "after" shots:

041711141807.jpg

041711141650.jpg

041711141619.jpg

041711141729.jpg

041711141748.jpg

2011-04-17_12-35-54_212.jpg

041711141830.jpg

Any imperfections you see are smudges from me handling it. Just FYI. It really is a "glass bolt" and is ridiculously smooth and polished. I told Pauly I had to double check the 3 digits on the bolt/carrier to make sure it was the same one I sent him, because it looked so different. :lolol:

Last week I sent Pauly three bolts and carriers, FCGs and such from my Saiga 12s for his Glass Bolt service. Everything I've seen tells me I made the right choice. I went with Pauly because of all of the solid comments and photos I've seen from everyone on the forum. I am excited to get them back, install them in my Saigas, and run to the range. Mirror polish on wear surfaces to slick them up, matte finish elsewhere, what's not to love. Even though I missed his special introductory price, that I sent the important parts from three guns...that says it all. Photos and range report to come.

You guys are VERY welcome & thank you for choosing Pauly's Steelin' Custom Fabrication.

As many professional machinists & metal finishers who I've done this for can attest to, even with the perfect system for my procedures, it takes several hours to bring GlassBolt to the level I do & include all the additional reliability fixes to the systems I treat while I personally do each GlassBolt from the first to last step of each aspect.

I'm appreciate that you appreciate my efforts. :up:

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

Pauly's Custom Steelin Glass Bolt Review (Saiga 12)

Like many other S12 owners mine cycled high brass buckshot and slugs fine, but would not cycle lighter ammo, nor low recoil buckshot. That had to change as I'm not going to want to pay $1 a shot for very long.

I started out doing the usual lubing, playing with choke settings etc. After converting the gun with a Arsenal FCG the problem remained. Rats.

By the way, my S12 has 3 undersized ports. Somewhere between .07" and .08" is how they measure.

I next tried to copy some of the photos and info in the bolt polishing forum with the dremel and even my buffing wheels but still could not get it to cycle less than full power ammo. Time for Pauly to work his magic.

Since I'm local I dropped off my FCG, bolt carrier group and bolt at his place. After he was completed I asked when I could come pick it up but he brought it over to me instead! Talk about service! I opted for the matte finish on my bolt since the ice rack is a little too "bling" for my taste and I wanted a low profile gun.

The mating surfaces of the bolt carrier, and the bolt were polished to a mirror shine and perfectly contoured. I was afraid to touch them without gloves so as not to disrupt their chrome-like awesomeness. He also threw in a tapco G2 fcg to see if I like that better, as well as some wire sizing gauges to see what size my gas ports were. The .07" gauge fit in the ports on my 3 port gun, but he .08" and .09" gauges would not. Rats again, I figured I'll have to get the ports enlarged to get this thing to cycle.

I figured I'd try it first anyway. I installed the beautiful parts and cycled the action. Smooth as silk. I went to my backyard range, loaded up the factory mag with some cheapo federal bulk pack birdshot that usually made my S12 a single-shot gun. BANG! The gun launched the spent hull a good 10 feet to the right. No way!!!??? BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! Click (empty mag). AWESOME!

I loaded up a MD20 drum and sent a rainbow of spent bulk pack hulls flying with no failures to feed or eject.

Remington reduced recoil 00 buckshot (for social work). Flawless!

The bottom line: Get this done!!! I didn't think the Glass Bolt mod would help as much as it did, but I was wrong. As far as I'm concerned this is a 'must have' mod on any Sagia 12. Even if you've tried polishing and contouring your bolt yourself, send it to Pauly if it won't cycle. It's well worth it! The AK is a super-reliable platform so having a S12 that is picky on ammo is just stupid. Get this mod done and you'll have a combat shotgun that will feed everything!

I give this mod my highest rating ever: 10 thumbs up!

I attached some pics:

post-27599-0-43995500-1312061431_thumb.jpg

post-27599-0-60288200-1312061439_thumb.jpg

post-27599-0-41762200-1312061446_thumb.jpg

post-27599-0-21018700-1312061454_thumb.jpg

post-27599-0-43756600-1312061464_thumb.jpg