broke my Shepards crook

well i was bored so i decided to remove my FCG from my s12 to reprofile and polish it... well i thought it was the same process as removing the axis pins from factory but i guess i was wrong

DSCN2046.jpg

this is what happened lol

oh well i should have listened to everyone and gotten a plate i guess thats what im doing now to CSS!

I've had to destroy every wire I've removed. I just don't know how to get them out without ruining them.

That being said, my arsenal S12 FCG simply does not work with the retaining plate due to the shape of the disconnector. I do miss the flexibility of being able to pull the fcg out at a whims notice, but I don't mind the Tromix wire either.

wish i saw that video before lol

I posted it in my vendor section.

I post tips there sometimes.

Here's something else for those of you who have ammo collections that you've been working on for a while; http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/65103-dont-shoot-old-ammo-with-paper-wadding-through-your-s-12/

I've had to destroy every wire I've removed. I just don't know how to get them out without ruining them.

2:19

I couldn't tell from the video, what exactly did you do?

Take a medium to wide flat blade screwdriver & place the edge of the blade flat on the bottom of the receiver & the side of the blade against the side of the receiver between the 2 axis pins & against the end of the short end of the shepard's crook, then simply pushing the screwdriver's handle toward the barrel while higher up the screwdriver's shaft presses against the tied up mainspring with the hammer's axis in the coil it gets a slight amount of leverage & the bottom of the shepards's crook is pushed rearward which opens up the part of the spring wire that's wrapped around the trigger's axis & the shepard's crook comes right off.

It's really quick to work with a shepard's crook when you get the technique down & I've heard of plates breaking from quite a few people so I use the Tromix crook for reliability.

That's why this topic really caught my eye.

• Like 1
Take a medium to wide flat blade screwdriver & place the edge of the blade flat on the bottom of the receiver & the side of the blade against the side of the receiver between the 2 axis pins & against the end of the short end of the shepard's crook, then simply pushing the screwdriver's handle toward the barrel while higher up the screwdriver's shaft presses against the tied up mainspring with the hammer's axis in the coil it gets a slight amount of leverage & the bottom of the shepards's crook is pushed rearward which opens up the part of the spring wire that's wrapped around the trigger's axis & the shepard's crook comes right off.

Thats pretty much the technique I used a couple of weeks ago, takes 2 1/2 hands and scratched some finish off the inside of the received with the screwdriver, but it was the only way I could get that thing out. Its a pain to get in and out, so I was planning reinstalling with the plate. Unfortunately I just ordered some miscellanious items from Greg earlier this week (that should arrive today) and forgot to order the plate!

To go shooting - you can always swap in some e-clips or external retaining rings if you have the correct snap ring pliers. i don't suggest this for repeated use but for a day of recreational play - it'll work

I simply modify the factory wire retainer so there is no need to purchase another. It is also easily removable.

If you take a factory saiga retainer and trim off most of the coils. you can then put it over the hammer pin, go under the trigger pin, and insert the safety through the coil to keep it retained..

If choosing e-clips 2 fit on each pin.

It makes it so they can't shift.

1 on each pin is iffy & there's been reports of them coming off, but 2 on each can't shift & will not come off.

They're annoying to work with & not my first choice due to being so small & easy to lose, but they ain't going anywhere with 2 in each pins collar.

I've tried everything to get the axis pins flush like they are supposed to be in my S12. Shephards crook, retaining plates, all of them had issues and wouldn't enable both pins to seat as they should. I HAD to go to e-clips. So far so good with those... ;)

Edited by Jpanzer

Just so everyone is clear, the crook did not fail here, it did as it was supposed to do. He didn't even try to remove it. He punched the pin out while the crook was still on. I see no reason to switch to a plate because of this. A plate would have done the same thing, might have even messed up the pins as well.

Of course, I am one of the few that are still a fan of the shepards crook.

• Like 1

If some of you guys are having problems with the crook or retaining plate, I've used the retaining wire that fits in an AK. You can modify the portion that goes under the front axis pin to work with the S12. I've shot hundreds of rounds through the gun without any problems with it. It holds up just fine.

post-25216-0-34142600-1305267763_thumb.jpg

That being said, my arsenal S12 FCG simply does not work with the retaining plate due to the shape of the disconnector. I do miss the flexibility of being able to pull the fcg out at a whims notice, but I don't mind the Tromix wire either.

I got mine to work. You have to grind a little on the tab of the safety lever where it contacts the disconnector. That area doesn't affect the operation of the safety anyway (pull the trigger with the safety on and you'll see where it actually blocks trigger operation). That way it will clear the disconnector so you can use the plate and install the safety straight in and rotate it down, clearing the disconnector.

The plate is the way to go.

Nope

I got mine to work. You have to grind a little on the tab of the safety lever where it contacts the disconnector. That area doesn't affect the operation of the safety anyway (pull the trigger with the safety on and you'll see where it actually blocks trigger operation). That way it will clear the disconnector so you can use the plate and install the safety straight in and rotate it down, clearing the disconnector.

Doesn't seem a little redundant to have to modify parts to fit a plate that doesn't belong? Or getting a plate that is out of spec that you have to modify?

Crook is the way to go.

The plate is the way to go.

Nope

Doesn't seem a little redundant to have to modify parts to fit a plate that doesn't belong? Or getting a plate that is out of spec that you have to modify?

Crook is the way to go.

That being said, get the plate anyways, and don't listen to zappa :P

Wait, correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like you took a hammer and beat that pin out, shearing the shepards hook on the receiver in the process. :lolol: You just blew my mind with a whole lot of WTF. But OK I guess its your gun.

Edited by setlab
  • Like 1

I refused to grind on the crucial portion of the safety, possibly compromising it.

If some of you guys are having problems with the crook or retaining plate, I've used the retaining wire that fits in an AK. You can modify the portion that goes under the front axis pin to work with the S12. I've shot hundreds of rounds through the gun without any problems with it. It holds up just fine.

Nobody is claiming the Tromix wire doesn't hold up. It works great. It just a pain getting it out to where it can still be re-usable.

I never said it doesn't hold up. I said if "you're having problems with it try the wire" I prefer the Tromix wire. But it can be a pain to deal with if you haven't messed with it

much. The retaining wire has held up good for me too, and it's easy to install and take out.