I both open carry and CCW. Ruger P-90, Bianchi minimal 105 Minimalist OWB. I nearly always wear a tucked-in tee shirt under an unbuttoned over shirt, so the P-90 is concealed nicely.

Just don't open carry in Philly. Cops apparently don't know it's legal with a permit and are absurdly hostile about it.

My link

I keep my eye on that stuff, as I have relatives in Bristol and I do go there from time to time. I don't OC in heavily populated areas because of this very thing.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello   I would not open carry for fear of having my firearm stolen from me. Be kind of like wearing hundred dollar bills outside of your clothing.   As much as getting shot by an assailant's bul

That's my #2 reason not to OC.   It's rather entertaining when dealing with cops to hand them the CPL, drivers license, and then just watch the reaction. Some of my ghetto neighbors were going at it

As a peasant here in the occupied State of Marylandistan it is forbidden for me to carry anything! I am carefully crafting an escape plan!

Posted Images

Hello

I would not open carry for fear of having my firearm stolen from me.

Be kind of like wearing hundred dollar bills outside of your clothing.

As much as getting shot by an assailant's bullet would suck, getting shot by your own bullet would suck much more.

JMHO...

-guido

• Like 2

I both open carry and CCW. Ruger P-90, Bianchi minimal 105 Minimalist OWB. I nearly always wear a tucked-in tee shirt under an unbuttoned over shirt, so the P-90 is concealed nicely.

Just don't open carry in Philly. Cops apparently don't know it's legal with a permit and are absurdly hostile about it.

My link

I keep my eye on that stuff, as I have relatives in Bristol and I do go there from time to time. I don't OC in heavily populated areas because of this very thing.

That's my #2 reason not to OC.

It's rather entertaining when dealing with cops to hand them the CPL, drivers license, and then just watch the reaction. Some of my ghetto neighbors were going at it one night and a single, young, 125lb, female, cop showed up. I was outside brushing my car off, and she spot-lit me and waved, I just rolled my eyes and started walking over to her, to do the required "showing of papers". She looked scared about the snowbrush I had tucked under my arm, and made movement toward her weapon. "That's close enough" I had to calm her down and explain "I'm going to get my wallet out of my right back pocket, you MUST look at my ID before we go any further." Oddly, she relaxed as she read the cards, and I wound up walking her into the building, and keeping the door open for her back-up and an eye on her. She just listened outside the door where the fight was occurring. She was what they sent to break up two intoxicated black males and a female. :rolleyes:

One word of advice, don't say shit, just explain that they need to see your ID. Do not announce you are armed. Half of these cops are scared shitless, and calming them down is your first job. The ID makes them curious, and forces them to slow down, think, and talk. I get to deal with cops far too regularly while armed, and in Michigan, you must alert the cop to the fact you are armed immediately. If they get curious and ask to see the weapon, or handle it, be very careful. Some do not handle weapons as well, boogerhooks sometimes get too close to boom-buttons on Glocks, M&Ps, and XDs that do not have external safeties, and have rounds in the chamber.

Just be aware, they can be skittish. Young ones especially, the old guys usually don't give a rats ass. But if you get a jumpy one, it could go sideways.

• Like 2

What Heath said... :super:

In Ohio also you are required to let them know you're licensed and armed, preferably in that order. Never be beligerant with the cops. It gets you NO WHERE. 'cept maybe a ticket, ride down town or to the morgue.

Used to be in Arizona, you didn't have to say anything unless asked. Damn jittery Easterners, lol. Now, I don't know as they've allowed EVERYONE to carry concealed. :rolleyes:

J lang, has Iowa started reciprosity yet? I have family strung out between Des Moines and Omaha, and it would be damn nice to be able to carry when I visit.

Have any of you guys used the ccwbreakaways.com pants and shorts ? They look very well made they are abit pricey but hey you get a nice clothing item with a built in pocket holster and mag pockets in clothing you can't tell there is anything there. They have dress slacks, jeans, cargo pants, and shorts also. If you haven't check them out. I don't carry concealed yet but plan to get my CPL pretty soon.

In Ohio also you are required to let them know you're licensed and armed, preferably in that order. Never be beligerant with the cops. It gets you NO WHERE. 'cept maybe a ticket, ride down town or to the morgue.

Used to be in Arizona, you didn't have to say anything unless asked. Damn jittery Easterners, lol. Now, I don't know as they've allowed EVERYONE to carry concealed. :rolleyes:

J lang, has Iowa started reciprosity yet? I have family strung out between Des Moines and Omaha, and it would be damn nice to be able to carry when I visit.

no they do not , i remember the instructer of my last class saying they were working on that , however i bielieve you can apply for a non resident permit , doesnt make much sense . all the laws are so new id try to contact one of the several people offering classes here , i wouldnt think theyd be very hard to find on the net . around here theyve got hand made plastic signs in the ditchs and stapled to poles , even though ive been carrying here in iowa for 4 or 5 years i had to go back and take another class when the laws changed and will have to pay another renewal fee for the new license . 40 bucks for the refresher class another 30 for the actual permit some 80,000 permit holders , i hope they dont decide to change the laws to often . a small local publication here recently decided to publish the names of every permit holder in the state , 'fucking dicks' the list was crazy long i forgot to tell you why to contact a a organization giving the classes , believe it or not , no bodys in charge of this , no state deparment has been assigned to oversee any of this , not iowa public saftey or the sheriffs department , all the sheriffs department knows is you bring them the certificate and give them the money. look for the iowa academy of practical shooting , thats were i got my permit years ago , the instructor is a retired officer and is quite knowledgable .

Edited by J lang

My link

That's my #2 reason not to OC.

It's rather entertaining when dealing with cops to hand them the CPL, drivers license, and then just watch the reaction. Some of my ghetto neighbors were going at it one night and a single, young, 125lb, female, cop showed up. I was outside brushing my car off, and she spot-lit me and waved, I just rolled my eyes and started walking over to her, to do the required "showing of papers". She looked scared about the snowbrush I had tucked under my arm, and made movement toward her weapon. "That's close enough" I had to calm her down and explain "I'm going to get my wallet out of my right back pocket, you MUST look at my ID before we go any further." Oddly, she relaxed as she read the cards, and I wound up walking her into the building, and keeping the door open for her back-up and an eye on her. She just listened outside the door where the fight was occurring. She was what they sent to break up two intoxicated black males and a female. :rolleyes:

One word of advice, don't say shit, just explain that they need to see your ID. Do not announce you are armed. Half of these cops are scared shitless, and calming them down is your first job. The ID makes them curious, and forces them to slow down, think, and talk. I get to deal with cops far too regularly while armed, and in Michigan, you must alert the cop to the fact you are armed immediately. If they get curious and ask to see the weapon, or handle it, be very careful. Some do not handle weapons as well, boogerhooks sometimes get too close to boom-buttons on Glocks, M&Ps, and XDs that do not have external safeties, and have rounds in the chamber.

Just be aware, they can be skittish. Young ones especially, the old guys usually don't give a rats ass. But if you get a jumpy one, it could go sideways.

+ 1 never a good idea to start a conversation with law enforcment with ...... i have a gun ! i dont think they really care what you have to say after that .

no they do not , i remember the instructer of my last class saying they were working on that , however i bielieve you can apply for a non resident permit , doesnt make much sense . all the laws are so new id try to contact one of the several people offering classes here , i wouldnt think theyd be very hard to find on the net . around here theyve got hand made plastic signs in the ditchs and stapled to poles , even though ive been carrying here in iowa for 4 or 5 years i had to go back and take another class when the laws changed and will have to pay another renewal fee for the new license . 40 bucks for the refresher class another 30 for the actual permit some 80,000 permit holders , i hope they dont decide to change the laws to often . a small local publication here recently decided to publish the names of every permit holder in the state , 'fucking dicks' the list was crazy long i forgot to tell you why to contact a a organization giving the classes , believe it or not , no bodys in charge of this , no state deparment has been assigned to oversee any of this , not iowa public saftey or the sheriffs department , all the sheriffs department knows is you bring them the certificate and give them the money. look for the iowa academy of practical shooting , thats were i got my permit years ago , the instructor is a retired officer and is quite knowledgable .

I know Iowa DOES have reciprocity with Michigan... but my permit works in 37 States. I know not everyone has the same freedom, but there does seem to be a chance.

Dude, you can... http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/ohio-ccw-reciprocity-map

Edited by Heath_h49008

carry 90% . at all times outside the house. HK p2000 sig .357 i use the .40 cal barrel for practice. ive tried several holsters. this cheap nylon one works well for cold weather. in warm weather i switch to a flush bottom nine rd. mag. in shorts ive been using galco leather. in utilikilts it fits in the side pocket

if i could get away with it, i would strap on the cold steel broad sword in some of the neighborhoods i work in.

my only upgrade to this sidearm was night sights.

IMG_565.jpg

• Like 1

Ok, did some checking on the Iowa reciprocity. They pretty much honor EVERYONES, except Wisconsin/Illinois(who don't have one). That is a huge change from last Thanksgiving when I last went back.

Things are changing fast in the CCW world. It does pay to stay in touch. Thanks Heath, I'd have checked before my next trip back and probably still should just in case, lol. I found an article on Wisconsin I'll post elsewhere as we've hijacked this thread enough. Sorry G.

My SIG P238 SAS ('SIG Anti-Snag') pistol. I carry her in a CrossBreed MiniTuck IWB at the 4:00 position.

post-4853-0-21636600-1305731666_thumb.jpg

What kind of grips are those Gary? Looking for something like that for a 1911 project. Nice skull btw.

• 2 weeks later...

Kahr CW9 in a cheap IWB holster. Open carry is a no-go, plus I believe it puts me at a tactical disadvantage if others can see that I'm carrying. Now, if I'm travelling with my own fireteam, sure. :ph34r:

• Like 1

Drew, is that an Archangel AIWB in your pic? If so, how do you like it? Nice gear BTW.

Older model. it's the Ehud. same holster with kydex straps vs the new adjustable ones.

Dale's stuff is top notch. I'd also recommend Josh Kolbeson's work.

• 2 weeks later...

Just picked up a Ruger LC9 for a summer/beach carry gun yesterday. It's definitely designed for carry as the contours are like a used bar of soap. Trigger is smooth and the sights are pretty good. Anyone with a LC9 or LCP try the Crimson Trace Laserguard? Thinking about one as they have a $50 rebate and ordering the appropriate Crossbreed holster for it.

Just picked up a Ruger LC9 for a summer/beach carry gun yesterday. It's definitely designed for carry as the contours are like a used bar of soap. Trigger is smooth and the sights are pretty good. Anyone with a LC9 or LCP try the Crimson Trace Laserguard? Thinking about one as they have a $50 rebate and ordering the appropriate Crossbreed holster for it.

Hello, MT Predator

I have a pair of LC9's (the wife and myself) I have had a pair of C/T lasers on backorder for a few weeks now, it seems everybody is out of stock on them.

I checked with Crossbreed and they are planning to release a "Mini-Tuck" version for the LC9 w/ C/T laser "any day now", so I check in with them weekly. They currently offer that model for the LC9 without the laser.

Even though the LC9 has great sights compared to its predecessors like the LCP, I still think the ability to fire accurately with one's weapon in a semi-concealed position offers a great tactical advantage. That's why I like the C/T lasers for a small personal defense weapon such as these.

I just wish the triggers weren't DAO, makes for loooong pull on every shot. Pretty smooth, though.

I have to get that pesky magazine interlock outa there, though....

Respectfully,

-guido

If I'm in a hurry and in light clothing, I pocket carry my Sig P238 with my DeSantis holster. If I've got the time and the attire, I carry my Sig 1911 RCS in a Galco IWB tuckable holster. It's a set up that works pretty well for me. I have a few blades that I carry on myself as well, but those are mainly for utility. Generally if I'm not working (I'm a lifeguard) I have one of these on me; sometimes both.

I'm not a fan of open carry for pretty much all the reasons listed above (it's not a sour grapes thing).