Assaulted by my own S12, repeatedly

I've searched for meteorites. I've searched for Big Foot, Sasquatch and the Fouk Monster...and have found none of them. Then, I searched for a thread bearing the topic I'm about to tell you about. And found none of them as well. Obviously, I'm a mighty poor searcher.

My converted S12, with TAPCO folding stock, which gives me a good and properly aligned cheek weld, strikes the end of my nose with something, whenever I'm shooting hot loads. It's like being pelted with one, maybe two, sand grain sized bits, not terribly hard, but enough to distract somewhat from the task at hand.

I've looked carefully at the trunnion, and would say it shows minimal strike deformation. The gun is clean inside, with no particulate material loose and about that could be sent rearward. And if there were bits and pieces inside the receiver, the cover fits so tightly I don't see how anything could possibly pass. And, it seems to me, that recoil would make those bits and pieces (if bits and pieces there were) shoot forward, rather than take aim at my nose and score so handily.

So...I'm at a loss. I'm not letting this issue get in the way of shooting the gun, even 3 inch 00 buck and slugs, but I'm concerned that one such bit of material should miss my nose, and hit my eye (although I wear glasses, so maybe I shouldn't be concerned).

But anyhow, it's not so much the blow, as it is the mystery. Ever experience anything like this?

Thanks!

Gonna sound stupid but....

are you sure your actually being struck by something and not mearly feeling the recoil sting of those hot loads wiggleing fleshy bits in odd ways?

If I was 100% sure I was being struck by "something" I might attempt to catch some of whatever was strikeing me with something like some ducttape hanging off the bottom of my shooting glasses for a shot or two... You'd look aweful silly for a minut or two... but it should solve the mystery anyway.

maby something blowing back out of the gas system? muzzle break throwing trash at an odd angle?.... hell I dunno but duct tape outta fix it! lol

are you sure your actually being struck by something and not mearly feeling the recoil sting of those hot loads wiggleing fleshy bits in odd ways?

If I was 100% sure I was being struck by "something" I might attempt to catch some of whatever was strikeing me with something like some ducttape hanging off the bottom of my shooting glasses for a shot or two... You'd look aweful silly for a minut or two... but it should solve the mystery anyway.

maby something blowing back out of the gas system? muzzle break throwing trash at an odd angle?.... hell I dunno but duct tape outta fix it! lol

Well, that's a thought...although, I have an unconverted S12, and using the same shells, same magazine, no problem. The major difference is that it has a TAPCO T6 stock on it. I do like the duct tape idea, although I would certainly use it in the most secret of manners, not to alarm Mrs. Jones of course.

Well, that's a thought...although, I have an unconverted S12, and using the same shells, same magazine, no problem. The major difference is that it has a TAPCO T6 stock on it. I do like the duct tape idea, although I would certainly use it in the most secret of manners, not to alarm Mrs. Jones of course.

The sting you are feeling is most likely recoil related.

I can remember an occasion early on - shooting 3" magnums, when the corner of a folding stock mechanism came back and hit me so hard it broke the skin on the bridge of my nose. It bled like a sonofabitch.

That experience was instructive. If recoil is the issue, you probably need to pare down a bit on power and velocity and find a load that is well balanced to your fast cycling, semi auto, box fed shotgun.

Did you take it apart and check your bolt for anything that even smacks of metal flaking? Don't know how it would get past the cover except that it should go through the ejection port at a backward angle.

Which side of your nose are the "projectiles" hitting? If you don't find any shearing/scratching marks on your bolt or other surfaces inside, then I am putting my two pennies in with the other guys about recoil sting.

I had a somewhat similar problem with my 835 Mossberg which kicked like a mule until I put a Knoxx recoil reducer on it. After that it didn't dislocate my shoulder anymore, but it sure did bruise the hell out of my cheek! Glad it wasn't my nose, else my nose would have been bleeding.

Sometimes, if the gun is wet, I will get oil on my faces and left forearm. Maybe it is related? :unsure:

Not to get too personal beefcake but how many faces do you have and why are they wetting your gun?

Two face sassafras....

I think it is nerve related.

Are you sure it's not the corner of the Tapco folder hitting you in the nose? My dad had one of those stocks and it used to occasionally hit him in the nose when firing high brass, (drew blood once), until he filed that fucker down.

This is just one of the less-than-great design features of that particular stock. I'm not a fan.

was shooting at an old tv the other weekend with federal bulk and had some bbs came back at me from about 25 yrds they kind of stung. glad thet did not hit my eye

So you have decent shooting glasses in your range bag now, right? Your losing an eye because all the cool kids are shooting without eye protection would suck.

You state: "My converted S12, with TAPCO folding stock, which gives me a good and properly aligned cheek weld, strikes the end of my nose with something, whenever I'm shooting hot loads. It's like being pelted with one, maybe two, sand grain sized bits, not terribly hard, but enough to distract somewhat from the task at hand."

In my case I thought it would be cool to install a Romanian folding stock on my S12. After having the end of the recoil spring guide hit my cheek I ended up replacing it with a NATO length AK stock. So far I have had no issues. Each person is different, and for me the Warsaw and Romanian folding stocks just don't work for my arm length/body size.If it's not a mechanical issue as my case, my best guess would be powder/wad residue as the most likely culprit.

Bob

I've searched for meteorites. I've searched for Big Foot, Sasquatch and the Fouk Monster...and have found none of them. Then, I searched for a thread bearing the topic I'm about to tell you about. And found none of them as well. Obviously, I'm a mighty poor searcher.

My converted S12, with TAPCO folding stock, which gives me a good and properly aligned cheek weld, strikes the end of my nose with something, whenever I'm shooting hot loads. It's like being pelted with one, maybe two, sand grain sized bits, not terribly hard, but enough to distract somewhat from the task at hand.

I've looked carefully at the trunnion, and would say it shows minimal strike deformation. The gun is clean inside, with no particulate material loose and about that could be sent rearward. And if there were bits and pieces inside the receiver, the cover fits so tightly I don't see how anything could possibly pass. And, it seems to me, that recoil would make those bits and pieces (if bits and pieces there were) shoot forward, rather than take aim at my nose and score so handily.

So...I'm at a loss. I'm not letting this issue get in the way of shooting the gun, even 3 inch 00 buck and slugs, but I'm concerned that one such bit of material should miss my nose, and hit my eye (although I wear glasses, so maybe I shouldn't be concerned).

But anyhow, it's not so much the blow, as it is the mystery. Ever experience anything like this?

Thanks!

My shooting glasses get beat up because I put my face a bit too close to the recoil spring push button at the rear of the dust cover. Chances are, you are getting tapped by the tab and just thinking it's debris.

Have you shot without putting your cheek on the stock and felt the "particles" hit you?

I was shooting at a local outdoor "range" a few weeks ago and I shot at a bucket downrange, some jerkoff had left a bucket filled with concrete on the range and received some birdshot back to the face which sounds like what your talking about. Probably not related though because I doubt your shooting at concrete.