Do I really NEED a scope?

No, you may not need a scope, it depends on your application, skill, target size and distance, your vision and skill. My application is sub 200 yards and most often sub 100 yards, so the AK sites work OK, but I still prefer a red dot as I can acquire my target far more quickly.

The S308 shoots better than it's stock crude sights will usually allow. I can get a good group with the iron sights but it's a real struggle. I add a scope and good groups come quickly and easy by comparison.

• Like 1

The S308 shoots better than it's stock crude sights will usually allow. I can get a good group with the iron sights but it's a real struggle. I add a scope and good groups come quickly and easy by comparison.

Ditto!

I've been looking at the POSP scopes with mounts that Kalinka sells. Are they a reasonable choice for the .308 Saiga? Are there any POSP versions that are preferred? ....any to avoid?

Get a 4x POSP and you should be good to go. I hear more praise for Eastwave than Kalinka, but in the end, either will do in terms of POSP's. Definitely pick one up, though. Probably one of the best types of scopes you can ever get for an AK.

Do I really need a scope for my S308 with a 21"?

It's mostly for hunting with a side of paper killing. But will iron sights do just fine?

They will do just fine unless you have a hard time using AK style sights.

In that event, throwing a krebb's peep on will probably get you there.

Tech sights with a 21" barrel would have an obscene sight radius, and would probably provide better accuracy than a scope.

It's mostly for hunting with a side of paper killing. But will iron sights do just fine?

Tech sights with a 21" barrel would have an obscene sight radius, and would probably provide better accuracy than a scope.

Nothing provides better accuracy than a scope.

That's a pretty big blanket statement. They're pretty apples and oranges really.

Want to put some olympic quality irons up against a walmart BSA?

it really comes down to your intended application. personally, i feel that i need to get a scope for my s 308 because it allows me to hit targets at a much further range than only using iron sights. but i think its also a good idea to have a scope mount which also allows you to use the iron sights if necessary.

also, I really like scoped shooting.

That's a pretty big blanket statement. They're pretty apples and oranges really.

The BSA scope may jump the reticule in in 50-100rds and quit working but for the time that it does work it will outshoot the competition type iron sights at any distance past 100 yards. It is a matter of the eye focusing on 2 planes rather than 1 and the ability to magnify the target to shrink the amount of adjustment needed to keep the muzzle orientation located in the same spot consistently.

People who do not have good results with scopes "are doing it wrong".They are experiencing variables in the mounting and adjustment of their optics and not deriving the full benefit of the magnified optic and it's single plane reticule.

• Like 2

They will do just fine unless you have a hard time using AK style sights.

In that event, throwing a krebb's peep on will probably get you there.

tech sights +1

if you prefer iron sights or at all familiar with AR/M16 style irons go with tech sights.

i did on my 16 saiga, and it was a night and day difference. of course, having 8 years of familiarity with M16 sights also influenced my increased accuracy.

First in a hunting situation we need a scope for an accurate shot in the low light, dusk. During the daylight I really don't need a scope except for a very long shot that i would only take if its a trophy of a lifetime animal. I mainly hunt for the thrill and looking for that one record breaker.

I'm 60yo and a diabetic and with my 16" barreled saiga in 308win i'm shooting 1 1/2" groups with surplus ammo. I have a 21" barreled 308 also i'm thinking of also scoping it too. To mainly shoot paper and hunt with it. I like to get a kalinka russian scope but i'm also looking at a bushnell scope with the BDC option were i can shoot out to 500yds accurately with no error. I'm torn between both scopes. I like idea of the one piece scopemount/scope with the cam loc. I like the advantage of using a scope but at the sametime i like the saiga without it. UNKP

First in a hunting situation we need a scope for an accurate shot in the low light, dusk. During the daylight I really don't need a scope except for a very long shot that i would only take if its a trophy of a lifetime animal. I mainly hunt for the thrill and looking for that one record breaker.

I'm 60yo and a diabetic and with my 16" barreled saiga in 308win i'm shooting 1 1/2" groups with surplus ammo. I have a 21" barreled 308 also i'm thinking of also scoping it too. To mainly shoot paper and hunt with it. I like to get a kalinka russian scope but i'm also looking at a bushnell scope with the BDC option were i can shoot out to 500yds accurately with no error. I'm torn between both scopes. I like idea of the one piece scopemount/scope with the cam loc. I like the advantage of using a scope but at the sametime i like the saiga without it. Having the mechanical turret with the BDC(bullet drop compisation) allows me to dial in the distance exactly.

With my many years of shooting experience benchresting the larger bore rifles I've grown accustomed to focusing on the open sights and using scopes but if we stay focused for too long with the iron sights things can get burry. I tend to look away for a split second and then look back and take the shot. UNKP

Edited by Unknown Poster

I'm 60yo and a diabetic and with my 16" barreled saiga in 308win i'm shooting 1 1/2" groups with surplus ammo. I have a 21" barreled 308 also i'm thinking of also scoping it too. To mainly shoot paper and hunt with it. I like to get a kalinka russian scope but i'm also looking at a bushnell scope with the BDC option were i can shoot out to 500yds accurately with no error. I'm torn between both scopes. I like idea of the one piece scopemount/scope with the cam loc. I like the advantage of using a scope but at the sametime i like the saiga without it. UNKP

What kind of ammo are you using in your 16"? I've been averaging 5" groups with brown bear 145gr FMJs. I'd like to try different ammo when my BCA gets back.

The BSA scope may jump the reticule in in 50-100rds and quit working but for the time that it does work it will outshoot the competition type iron sights at any distance past 100 yards. It is a matter of the eye focusing on 2 planes rather than 1 and the ability to magnify the target to shrink the amount of adjustment needed to keep the muzzle orientation located in the same spot consistently.

People who do not have good results with scopes "are doing it wrong".They are experiencing variables in the mounting and adjustment of their optics and not deriving the full benefit of the magnified optic and it's single plane reticule.

+1. There's no substitute for proficiency with a rifle's irons, but they are limited by the human eye. I can hit 8" steel plates pretty easily offhand at 200 yrds with the stock irons, but I plan to upgrade those and use a scope with a quick-release mount for distance shooting. A magnified scope has an undeniable edge assuming you use it correctly.

Edited by post-apocalyptic

Yes. 200yd target, you, me, and anyone else we can drag out to the range shooting. Change targets between shooters, and first shoot irons, then everyone shoots w the Mallwart scope.

I'll bet you my Vortex 6.5-20x44PA that the average group size is tighter with the scope than without.

As far as the original question goes, I'd look at a 4x fixed, maybe a 3-9x40 (but that's a bit overkill for what you want to do).

• 1 month later...

it depends what are you using it fro the longest range i have is 200yds and im on paper at that with my WASR the Saiga is good well past what the iron sights can do.

were im at when i go hunting the woods are so thick you maybe get a 75yd shoot at best so s scope really doesnt do anything except add weight

Edited by cbr