What would you pay, Norinco Sporter????

I ran across a Norinco Sporter 7.62 x 39 in a pawn shop.

It has the thumbhole stock, stamped receiver, hooded front sight, and vented gas block.

I really don't know much about the Norincos but this one is awfully clean. No scratches, inside of the receiver has no scratches, shiny black bolt, this thing may have never been fired.

They are asking 699.00 is this a good price or are they jacking the dog?

Does this rifle have a certain amount of collectability?

I have a Norinco NHM-91, it has the thumbhole stock(sporter). The NHM-91 has a 20" heavy barrel on it, I tried a Timbersmith handguard for it and it wasn't even close, the barrel was to big!

So to answer your question, if it is an NHM-91, buy it!

I have a Norinco MAK-90 but changed it over to the traditional pistol grip config...i.e. 922r compliant. I love mine and would NEVER get rid of it. As far as the price is concerned I think it is a good price. I paid $300 for mine over 10 years ago and have put 1000's of rounds through it. They are keepers!

Unless it has a milled receiver, $699 sounds way too high. If you planned on debanning it, you can expect to pay at least $100 or more if you want decent furniture. A quick glance at GB shows a whole bunch of overpriced MAKs. If you have patience (and not a whole lot is needed), you can find them on GB in the mid $500 range. All MAKs have stainless bolts, so the bolt has been painted and maybe the whole rifle too. They aren't really that collectible...not like a true type-56...but they are only going up in value. I'd pass and keep looking. You should be able to find one for $100-200 less.

Edited by jbanzai
  • Like 1

^ this, more or less.

I have a MAK90 too. Nice rifle but not $700 nice. True they arnt imported anymore but if im not mistaken to date they are still the most imported AK. Something like 4mill were imported. Avg price for a butthole stock MAK around $450-$500. Maybe closer to 600 if there is something special about it (10x mags, expansive scope...)

Edited by Arik

Unless it has a milled receiver, $699 sounds way too high. If you planned on debanning it, you can expect to pay at least $100 or more if you want decent furniture. A quick glance at GB shows a whole bunch of overpriced MAKs. If you have patience (and not a whole lot is needed), you can find them on GB in the mid $500 range. All MAKs have stainless bolts, so the bolt has been painted and maybe the whole rifle too. They aren't really that collectible...not like a true type-56...but they are only going up in value. I'd pass and keep looking. You should be able to find one for $100-200 less.

I was mistaken. I looked at the whole slew of AKs they had and crossed up a little of the info. I checked on it again today, it has a stainless bolt and carrier. I actually pulled the dust cover and it revealed it had at least a few rounds thru it but still vey clean. I also checked for the MG rivet, just to make sure it wasn't there.

It still looks very clean and it had a double hook style trigger, which I think is common for older aks? I live in NW Louisiana so there aren't any guns here that aren't grossly overpriced. It may still be a deal of sorts.

Also, if it's a Mac 90 wouldn't that fall in the timeline of being pre-ban?

I believe the MAK90 was china's answer to the AWB. Thumb hole stock (no evil pistol grip), and a non threaded barrel. I had one when I was 19, it shot great, but not $700 great. If you're a collector, grab it, I guess, but if you're wanting it for a shooter, i'd buy something cheaper and spend the extra money on ammo.

This is not a deal of any sorts. The MAK 90 is China's way to get around the '89 ban....hence the term MAK 90. Modified Automatic Kalishnakov 1990. These are the exact same rifles as the original type 56 AK's. They have been modified by having the bayo lugs ground down and reblued, and the addition of the thumbhole. They are great shooters no doubt.

Also, I would want to take off the stock to see if the receiver was cut at a slant. They cut many of them this way so people couldn't readily switch to traditional AK furniture. They are less valueable, but there are still options.

I knew they were 'common', but I don't know how common. I would be surprised that there were more MAKs imported than WASRs...but maybe. If you have the cash for it, I would still pass and wait. For that much $$$, you should be able to get a MAK and a case of ammo.

Edited by jbanzai

MAK-90s were imported after the Bush Ban, so 922r applies.

Sorry, for all the edits. This new forum software is messing with my formatting.

Thanks

I just like the random in thread unconfirmed out of the ass- but im going to take it as truth - fact that 4 million Americans purchased Chinese ak-47's, it will help me sleep at night

Not sure what that means???

Arik mentioned the 4 million figure, though he said "imported" not "bought" or "sold". Another website mentions closer to 1 million exported from China, but its source is fairly dubious. It doesn't mean neither of them are correct, and Arik did disclaim that he was relying only on his memory to back his assertion, but I was unable to find any authoritative information either way on the import numbers.

That said, I do wonder how "authoritative" some reputable sources of firearm information are when it comes to anything other than prestige marques.

Like others have said, $700.00 is no deal, unless it's a milled receiver. That being said though, if you run across another MAK90 in the $500.00 range, and it has the straight cut back, jump on it!!! You won't be disappointed. Unlike other Chinese products out there, their weapons are usually very good.

As far as the MAK90 variant of the AK platform, in my humble opinion, it's one of the best out there. Typically a very smooth action, better fit and finish and closer tolerances than most (not all) of your Eastern European counterparts, plus a 1.5 mm (or 1.6, I get confused between Yugo and Chinese) thick receiver. Alll in all a very smooth, durable, acurate AK, that with a few 922r compliance parts and rethreading of the barrel, will have it looking like the sterotypical bad boy AK.

I have rethreaded 2 MAK90 barrels with no issues. Both were large enough diameter to safely thread the standard AK 14 x 1mm left hand threads. Like Dr. Thunder said though, if it's undersized for that threading, then you usually have to step down to an AR style 1/2" threading.

A year or so ago, you could get MAKs on GB with BIN prices in the low $400s if you watched and waited. Milled MAKs would occasionally go in the mid 500s. The prices have risen very rapidly over the past year considering they were almost $200 ('93-'94 dollars) when they first arrived.

ad90s.jpg

Even with the prices today, MAKs are the best bang for your buck as far as AKs go.

My MAK 90 with Ironwood Designs Walnut furniture and Tapco G2 trigger.

054.jpg

Keep in mind that $190 in 1990 was like $320 in today's money.

The end of the barrel on mine seems slightly thicker than other AKs.

If you don't already have a set of dial calipers, now would be a good time to get some! They're very useful. Even a fairly cheap model should do the trick for most tasks. This post says that the range of threadable diameters is from 0.52-0.58 inches. I don't remember what my Hunter's muzzle diameter was, but it also seemed wider than other, threaded muzzles.

• 1 year later...

Just gonna Bump this thread, Instead of making a new one.

Looking to buy another Mak 90, I know its a bit late to be doing this. But My girl likes my Mak 90 and Her new PAP Yugo just didn't do it for her. The stock feels to long for her, Even thought it looks to be the same length. It also hits my cheak bone a bit. I know, New stock. LOL It needs broken in as well and it won't be sold either.

We just like the Mak 90 and want another. Seem there up to 1000 and alot more.

Few Q's that I have.

Mine is a pre 89 from what I was told and has a collar brazed over what looks to be threads. Not talking the fine turns in the rest, It lookes threaded under there. Also it has a Shinny Carrier and not that gray looking one that most have. My SKS from back then did as well. Seemed a year later the Carrier's looked all gry.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=327974730 This guy said he polished the carrier a bit, But this is what mine looks like. Littel les shine though.LOL

What is the different with the two Carriers and whats your thought on the threads?

Is it fine with the Thumb hole or does it need to be 922ed?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=328085424 This lookes like some good stuff as well.

Anyhow, Sorry for jumping an old thread and all the Q?s Hope to hear from some of you Mak 90 guys. Stryker

Ps, I can get some pics and info off the gun if that helps any. Thanks again.

Has anyone here threaded the barrel on one these? Is it a different process because of the thickness of the end of the barrel?

Hello

I just threaded one last night. It had a stepped-down section for the sight block and the unthreaded muzzle poking out of it, though. Also had a bore in the pinned-on sight block for the spring and plunger muzzle device keeper, but no plunger installed.

It just looked retarded with that little stub sticking out of the sight block and not a thread in sight.

I did it in two passes, the first with the die "opened" as much as reasonable without breaking it, the second pass a little tighter.

No sweat.

-guido in Houston

"God Loves Liberty"

post-44856-0-61742700-1360114296_thumb.jpg As already stated in this thread check to see if it has a slant cut rear receiver, mine does and I just machined this block to fit it so I can attach a folding stock. Otherwise the only choices are the FUGLY ATI fiberforce stock or one from Ironwood designs which are VERY nice but they are $179 and up and come unfinished. So just be aware that it will be a PITA to get a stock if it is a slant cut receiver. Good luck and you might be able to use that as a bargaining chip maybe but with the current situation probably will not help much.

Also if you want to use anything but the 10 round "sporter" mags in one it WILL need to be 922R compliant!

Edited by misterT