The wife Has agreed it's time to get the kids thIeir own guns. We have a 6 year old and an 8 year old. for my younger son I'm thinking _a 22 cricket but for my older son I think it may be too small of a gun He is a little over 4' tall and don't want to get him a gun he can't shoot for a few years and I dont want to get him one he will out grow too soon. Any suggestions from fellow fathers out there that went thru a similar situations would be helpful since Santa

will be hee before we know.

Edited by pony_express1973

I'm not a father, but I suggest CZ-452 or 455. The "Scout" version of the 452 is more for youth, but its LOP is less than two inches shorter than the full-size Trainer or "Special". The Trainer, Lux, Ultra Lux, Scout, and Full Stock all have "hogback" combs, making them ideal for iron sight use. The Scout has simplified sights compared to the others' more familiar AK-like tangent. Other 452s and 455s like the American and Varmint are optics-only.

They're all phenomenally accurate guns. I have three (Special, American, and FS), and would love to get another! If Santa wants Heisman to learn aperture sights, Tech Sights makes a great set that install with no modification to any of the Scout, which does require some modification. Williams makes a few sets of aperture sights for both full-size 452s and one specifically for the Scout.

10/22 is the first to my mind for others. As for me, well.. My daughter I picked up a Rossi 22/410 which she loved. I scoped the 22 barrel but she fell for the 410 all day long. As for my son, WASR-22 was the shit. After some mods to kill the comercial looks. :)

I love my Marlin Model 60, but think the Ruger is actually shorter and with all the options they could customize it as they grow for the intended use...plus it's a great way to get the chores done...hey want a new more accurate barrell...do the lawn all summer..lol

10/22! I have a youth .22 made by Daisy (yes, the BB gun makers) that is a bolt action, rotary magazine fed. It has collected dust because my kids outgrew it and preferred the 10/22 anyway.

Was it a 2201 legacy...I still have mine...no magazine single shot on mine.

Those Combo deals are hard to beat and single shot is a great learning aid. Hope they have a blast on Christmas day...but only at an approved shooting location wearing all the safety gear that fits them perfectly that I am sure you have bought them as well...lol

• Like 1

A Savage MK II would have been another good choice. Deadly accurate bolt gun that will help them learn to be accurate, rather than just blast away a magazine as fast as they pull the trigger.

Edited by patriot

And the winner is a Rossi 22/410 single shot i figure when they outgrow the 22 just swap barrels and now they have a 410 to play with just bought 2 for $149 a piece now i can't wait for Christmas day

I bought the tripple one, 22, 410, 243. My 13y/o daughter killed her first deer with it this year (.243) I think its a good gun and I have 2 younger kids that will grow to use it as well.

My first new gun when I was a kid, was Christmas the year I passed hunter safety. Its a cheap Marlin scoped combo and I still have it. The scope has been upgraded though lol. I have a 10/22 but its pretty heavy for a small kid.

Edited by WI_Dave