I've been looking at the "buckets of dehydrated and freeze dried meals" (25 year life types) and wondering what others are stocking. I've been looking at the Wise brand in particular, which seem to be priced right, have a good variety of meals, and they also have meats .

Do you have other brands in the bucket style meals that you'd recommend?

Or, are you just stocking standard canned meats and veggies and rotating them.

I'm just going to throw the book at ya, as my MTS won't let me begin to even begin on food storage alone.

THIS IS MORE FOR IF YOU PLAN TO HUNKER DOWN IN YOUR HOME, not so much if you plan on bugging out.

But, you should be prepared to leave if needs be.

Our plans are for natural disasters, major economic collapse and a moderate level of civil unrest.

Not for major SHTF or TEOTWAWKI

The best way to lay away food storage is to always buy a extra can(s) of whatever your buying normally, getting one, no, get two, and one goes into storage. It adds up very quickly.

Date your cans and rotate stock.

We now have our year's food storage!

I strongly urge all everyone to acquire at least a 3 month supply.

I'm not talking MREs, freeze dried meals and such, save those for the BoBs.

I mean real food stuffs, the ingredients to prepare full meals.

Meals that you eat now, or start planning new realistic menus with long shelf life ingredients that you will readily eat and enjoy.

Balanced nutritious meals and beverages.

Don't forget your vegetable gardens and fruit trees.

Learn how to store and can what you grow.

Things are going to get worse, much worse, be prepared.

Do not find yourself one of the masses desperately searching for scarce, astronomically priced, food for your family.

LDS or not, some great food storage info and links, that we have followed and modified to fit our needs/abilities.

http://lds.about.com...storagewhat.htm

Like I said before, store what you will eat, lots of long shelf life non-perishables.

Everything will get used in rotation.

Anything subject to moisture and/or going rancid is store in airtight containers with desiccant.

............................... OK, here goes my MTS laugh.gif ...........................................................

whole white/brown rice, corn & wheat (yes we have a grinder)

beans (pintos, blackeyes, black, and lima

(properly stored these ^^^ can last 20+years)

flour/corn meal, grits, pancake mix

pastas

baking powder & yeast

cooking oils, shortening

sugar, salt & a wide assortment of other spices.

Condiments, mustard, mayo, ketchup, BBQ and etc

Honey & cane syrup

Powdered eggs & milk

mac & cheese & other cook & serve box mixes

Canned goods... Can you say Dinty Moore stew/soups, I love'em.

Soups of all kinds, cremes of mushroom/celery, chile and etc

Canned/potted meats, chicken, tuna, hash and etc

Vegetables & fruits of all kinds

And we've the everyday host of just all the crap you find in a large family's pantry.

Along with well stocked 2door fridge/freezer, and well stocked 13+ cubic foot chest freezer.

And yes, for your real emergencies or bugging out... Acquire some MREs or other high quality freeze dried foods.

And if you do Freeze Dried, you better have a reliable water & heat source.

Flats of bottled water, buy the larger sized bottles jugs.

You can also fill containers of all types, then add a bit of bleach.

You'll need more than you think, besides drinking there is cooking and washing to be done.

Good quality filters, like for camping/hiking, buy one for each member of the family.

And have filter refills.

Store in a cool, low light area.)

Body & laundry soap, deodorant, t.paper, p.towels, bleach.

Soap/shampoo will be as valuable a trade good as liquor/tobacco/ammo.

First Aid, either buy or assemble a first aid kit that'd make a Corpsman smile in appreciation.

Make sure you stock extra prescriptions and antibiotics.

Note: Most antibiotics are available OTC... "What the hell?" you say... Yep, hit your pet shops and feed stores, all the stuff used for animals is pretty much the same shit.

Camping stove and fuel... Lots of extra fuel cylinders.

Camping lanterns, make sure they use the same fuel cylinders as the stove... More fuel.

Are you ready to camp out for at least a week or two, if you plan on bugging out, ya better be.

We already have a gas powered generator and enough gas to run it for a week.

Flashlights & radio.

If ya don't wanna stock a HUGE supply of batteries, get hand crank rechargeable.

FIREARMS:

One or more, a good .22 rifle, medium caliber rifle in a common caliber, pistol of common caliber, shotgun (don't fuck around get a 12g)

Plenty of ammo, cleaning supplies and a few spare parts.

Do you have slingshot, very useful, you can silently take all sorts of small game/fowl.

.22, get some subsonic, good for doing things quietly.

Neighborhood cats/dogs/chickens/ golf course/park ducks/squirrels and such, yes, they are on the menu when the family MUST be fed.

.22 rifle, mainstay for putting small game on the table.

Rifle, make sure you've some HP/SP for hunting, to go along with the defensive stocks of ammo.

Pistol, for when the rifle/shottie is out of ammo.

Shotgun, make sure you've stocked BB, #2, #4 & #6 shotshells, you can take most small game/fowl with these.

Yes, have the standard buck-n-slugs for the big four and two legged animals.

Keep fishing gear/supplies on hand.

Do you know how to run a trotline or gillnet?

Know how to salt/preserve fish?

Clothing/footwear for all seasons.

We really need to work more on shoes/clothing supplies for three growing kidz

• Like 2

I've been looking at the "buckets of dehydrated and freeze dried meals" (25 year life types) and wondering what others are stocking. I've been looking at the Wise brand in particular, which seem to be priced right, have a good variety of meals, and they also have meats .

Do you have other brands in the bucket style meals that you'd recommend?

Or, are you just stocking standard canned meats and veggies and rotating them.

I have two months of freeze dried food stocked. I also utilized 5 gallon 90mil buckets with gamma seal lids. I also have a high end vacuum sealer and a high end food dehydrator. I would also seek out LDS canneries in your area. Do not purchase MRE's they are not for long term food consumption. I also have several 35 Gallon food grade water barrels. One should be thinking of storing food in three stages in my view. Short term (canned items), Intermediate term (bulk grains) and Long term storage (number 10 cans).

http://honeyvillegra...s/Products.html

http://www.ldspreppe...g-a-LDS-Cannery

Good luck,

Yakdung

Edited by yakdung

LOL! I think we've all made the list IndyArms!

Your paying almost 5 times the price for freeze dried food. Yes, it'll last 20 to 25 years and some of it's not half bad but in reality it's just not worth the price. I have some of it around but it's for hunting and hiking since it's much lighter and easier to carry then a can of pickled green beans. You will also need to store much, much, MUCH more water just to cook and rehydrate your food. If your a lazy person then buy that stuff (wise foods actually has some pretty tasty dinners), if you want to invest in something that will save you money the rest of your life then get in to canning, drying, and purchasing containers that you can vaccum seal yourself. A little garden makes a BIG difference! this year my folks planted 2 raised beds (4'x8') and one deep (3' of soil, 2'x6) bed and raised way more then enough vegetables for them for a year. If you don't want to do this then find a local farmers market where the produce is always cheaper, get what you need and then can and dry. It will last a good 5 to 10 years if you do your part right (patience is the key) and then you have the necessary skills to do it in the future.

If you buy any of the entrees from anybody with "meat" in them. Read the contents label, alot of manufacturers are using TVP, that's NOT real meat. It's textured vegatable protien. The best I've found so far is Mountain House, they use REAL meat, but they are a bit pricey. If ya want, I can send you some links to others that have the pails of beans and stuff and pricing does vary A LOT, on some, by as much as $20-$25.00 a pail. #10 cans are also a good way to go, as are the pouches, crap, we are already using some of the pouches for dinner at times, and it's pretty good eating.

If you want an indefinite shelf life for food, stockpile some sugar and honey in air and water tight containers.

It is pure energy that doesn't need to be processed or have a complex digestive process requiring other nutrients to convert into energy like meats and starches and fiber do. In a SHTF environment where food is scarce, you can supplement that energy by mixing it into your water/beverage.

Lastly, they can both be used as an antiseptic on wounds.

If you're stock piling food then you just don't have trust in the system.

The system don't like those who don't trust it ...makes the system nervous.

but If I needed to have emergency food and didn't have the $$$ for the expensive storeable meals... I'd buy dried beans. Lots and lots of dried beans becuase they're cheap and lost long (decent source of protien too). Just keep a gas mask handy

Since Im not planning to disobey orders (im working for the cause now) Im not worried about it. I've been eating pinto beans for two days strait!

Ask me what I had for breakfast, lunch, and dinner today!

If you're stock piling food then you just don't have trust in the system.

The system don't like those who don't trust it ...makes the system nervous.

The Current System... I don't trust it, don't like it and it makes me nervous... Pretty sure the feelings are mutual.
  • Like 1

If you want an indefinite shelf life for food, stockpile some sugar and honey in air and water tight containers.

It is pure energy that doesn't need to be processed or have a complex digestive process requiring other nutrients to convert into energy like meats and starches and fiber do. In a SHTF environment where food is scarce, you can supplement that energy by mixing it into your water/beverage.

Honey... Might this include the mead that I make?

Honey... Might this include the mead that I make?

Yep. You can also convert it into alcohol as a fuel or social lubricant.

I've been stocking up on frozen veggies, meat, canned food, rice, dried beans, sugar, cooking oil, flour and noodles. Also look at electrolyte powders and powdered milk. Jars of honey store well too.

My house runs off propane so I have a 6+ months supply of heating and cooking fuel on hand.

Long term-Like to get a wood stove and a solar heating system so I use less propane for heating in the winter

Don't make it complicated

Basmati Rice

Jasmine Rice

Buckwheat Soba Noodles

Olive Oil

Peanut Oil

Dahl

Black Beans

Chick Peas

Sesame Seeds

Walnuts

Pecans

Almonds

Oats

Corn meal

Tinned Corned Beef, Chicken, Kippers, Tuna

Dried Fruit

Powdered Milk

Sugar

Salt

Yeast

Flour

Shortening

Spices

Pasta

Beef and Chicken Boullion

Corn Starch

Tortilla Flour

Powdered Eggs

Dehydrated Tomatoes

Pancake/Waffle Mix

Instant Pudding

Powdered Cocoa

Instant Tea Powder

Instant Coffee

Powdered Coffee Creamer

Peanut Butter

Granola

Soup Mixes

Gravy Mixes

Lemon Powder

Barley

Potato Flakes

Canned Cheese

Canned Butter

Bulgar Wheat

Canned Tahini

and enough salsa and hot sauce to drown a cat!

There's a company called "Emergency Essentials" that sells food, (up to one year family supplies at 2000 calories per person per day), water purification items, survival items, etc. Check em out...Good catalog.

Edited by icefire