The (GHA) get home alive bag Vs. the (BOB) bug out bag

I was in deep discussion last night with a close friend about my business plans. I've finally gotten some of my products set up for him to take pictures, and he was pretty excited to get a look at the setup I've been blabbing on and on about. I had two setups out for him to photograph and his first question to me was "what is what?". I was just as puzzled by the question so I asked him what he meant. His reply "well, is one like a level one kit and the other a level two cause it has more stuff included in the kit?", I could now see where this question was headed but didn't realize how passionate he was about the topic. I told him the one with less stuff was a "Get Home Alive" setup and the other was a "Bug out Bag". His reply was "bullshit, there's no difference between a GHA and a BOB". Now he's a pretty cool dude and we are very similiar, but when it comes to gear and guns we tend to like the opposite things, my reply was pretty simple "just take the pictures dude". He did and got to play with some gear and was happy when he left but I avoided the GHA Vs. BOB talk with him (he loves to argue, shoulda been a lawyer).

I break the two in to different groups because I see a major difference between the two.

I daily carry a get home alive bag even though home on an average day is less then a few miles from me. It has some essentials in it and you could easily survive just off what's in the bag alone for 72 hours+. It's not meant to sustain you for a small eternity. It's less tool oriented and more focused on light and fast helping you get to your destination by providing food, water, direction and some simple comforts (as well as protection). Yet it's much more then those SAS tins filled with circa WWII stuff but it isn't the kitchen sink.

My BOB stays at home or goes with me in my truck on long trips. It's enough for anyone with wilderness skills to jump off the map for as long as they like if they know how to hunt, fish and forage. It includes alot more tools and long term items, has a good amount of meds, food and water as well as shelter. I often use it on long camping/hiking trips and never feel under prepared for any task at hand. At the same time you'd never find me carrying half this stuff around on a daily basis. There's just no need or point IMO. Truthfully my opinion matters little when it comes to what the customer wants.

SO I'd like to here others opinions on the subject matter.

My "super prepper" friend has had the GHAbag for a long time. He works out of town s lot so his has quite a bit of stuff. I, however, work 10-15 minutes from home. I don't yet have a GHA set up... Even though I know I should.

I also like the GHA bag idea. A good bag to give you what you need to get you to a single predetermined destination, or make it through being stuck at work for 2 days in an elevator!!

That bag would be a lot smaller than what I consider a BOB. I would be interested in that one.

A BOB to me, seems to vary a bit more due to individual needs, abilities and geography.

Do you sell these commercially or are you free to tell us the contents of each?

Not yet (hence the pictures), and there will be a list of contents on the site when we get it up. Your free to purchase the contents on your own, but I hope you'd buy it through us! It's taken a long time to get the ball rolling just because getting dealer priceing with out a shop front is a huge (had to finally get a shop front, also a PIA). I will say that the price will be for a whole kit, when purchased as a kit it will cost you much less then going and buying everything individually.

I personally feel that my concealed carry gun is my Get Home Alive bag. WIth my CCW, I should be able to make it to my truck for a resupply where I have plenty of survival stuff including jackets, water, ammo, first aid, etc.

As far as the "stuck in the elevator after the power grid fries", the sustainability kit sounds like a good idea, but I don't think that I am going to start carrying a man-purse or fanny pack anytime soon.

• Like 1

You may have a small niche in the market with your pre-prepared bags for those who don't even know what a BOB is or how to pack one. Most survival supplies on the market that are successful are a sealed item for longevity. I like many, would rather choose my own bag(s) to pack these items in as everyone has a different take on what should be in there. That said, maybe you could offer some of the individual supplies for the people already utilizing a GHA/BOB. I think the majority of your target audience would be those who already have the mindset to be prepared and already have some version of these loadouts. Your itemized list of your pre-packed bag will most likely give these folks an idea for a particular item they are missing in their loadout and they won't be interested in an entire rig. They'll search out certain items. Good luck though.

ETA: Reference TapeWorm3's post. (Looking for ideas).

Edited by MT Predator

So, your GHA bag is more like what goes into an Army "Assault Pack", more-or-less 3 days supplies and some convenience tools, to get you to the BOB?

Kinda like the sarcastic definition of a pistol? "A pistol is what you use to fight your way to the long gun that you never should have been separated from in the first place."

• Like 1

So, your GHA bag is more like what goes into an Army "Assault Pack", more-or-less 3 days supplies and some convenience tools, to get you to the BOB?

Kinda like the sarcastic definition of a pistol? "A pistol is what you use to fight your way to the long gun that you never should have been separated from in the first place."

You will not need the large backpack for the contents of a GHA like a 3 day assault pack. I find those to be large enough to pack a light BOB, LOL!

There are a good amount of items but it's designed to be light for someone on the move (after all the goal is to get home!), shelter is of the most basic, food needs no cooking, the water is filtered and ready to go and the tools are primarily for navigating and basic survival.

MT Predator-you bet will be selling items in singles for those who are already decked out with there own gear.

We won't be selling bags with our kits but we are thinking of keeping a few stock. I find bags to be a matter of personal taste and area dependant. I may however change that to include Corbins version of the angry hello kitty! haha.gif

So, very loosely, a couple MREs or equivalent, a liter or two of water, a space blanket, and map&compass.

Frack, with the exception of food, I carry that stuff around with me almost all the time here in Japan (a real paper map, not Google Maps on the cell)!

Oh, and I want the MHI 'Mr. Evil' face on mine!

Edited by Scott Kenny

So, very loosely, a couple MREs or equivalent, a liter or two of water, a space blanket, and map&compass.

Frack, with the exception of food, I carry that stuff around with me almost all the time here in Japan (a real paper map, not Google Maps on the cell)!

Oh, and I want the MHI 'Mr. Evil' face on mine!

It's a little more involved then that but should still be able to fit in to a Maxpedition Jumbo, One source tactical TIB, messenger bag.....you get the idea.

By the way, it's good to know I'm not the only crazy person with a paper map!

You could pack these items in a decent sized Camelback which already holds water for a GHA bag. That's what I use for hunting which basically equates to a GHA bag the way I am packed. My BOB is quite a bit more extensive as I use large ALICE ruck. Interested to see what goodies you'll be offering.

Your GHA is basically what I call a Grab-n-Go bag. Like was mentioned earlier, it's to get me to my truck which has more gear, but can be used to get me home which is anywhere from 10 miles to 100 miles depending on the day. Same concept, :-)c

Good idea for for a kit though. Lots of people don't know enough to start small and them build on that.