I need a barrel hood extention installed.

i was having similar problems as this and i polished the bbl hood (underneath) as bright as i could get it and it seemed to solve my problems. the black paint under there could be jamming things up.

1307918233.jpg

• Like 1

i was having similar problems as this and i polished the bbl hood (underneath) as bright as i could get it and it seemed to solve my problems. the black paint under there could be jamming things up.

1307918233.jpg

It really helped my FTE by polishing the paint off there also. I was having similar issues when mine was new......

Try that first and report back.

Did you guys profile the hood at all? I see there's a small angle in the bottom of the hood. On the flat part of the hood, not the angled part that starts the bolts rotation. Should I take that angle down a bit or polish only?

Winchester?? That could be your problem.

It's the federal bulk pack from Wally world. 1 1/8 oz shot. I can shoot Remington bulk without these failures for the most part. But federal will jam up like in the picture every 60-70 rounds or so. It concerns me because the federal slugs I have are shorter than the birdshot. And if I have my saiga for home defense I don't want to be having these failures if someone's shooting at me.

Did you guys profile the hood at all? I see there's a small angle in the bottom of the hood. On the flat part of the hood, not the angled part that starts the bolts rotation. Should I take that angle down a bit or polish only?

Winchester?? That could be your problem.

It's the federal bulk pack from Wally world. 1 1/8 oz shot. I can shoot Remington bulk without these failures for the most part. But federal will jam up like in the picture every 60-70 rounds or so. It concerns me because the federal slugs I have are shorter than the birdshot. And if I have my saiga for home defense I don't want to be having these failures if someone's shooting at me.

Why in the name of GOD do you want to use CHEAP and UNRELIABLE ammo for HD ???????????????

Edited by G O B
  • Like 1

Ummm, yeah. I kind of had to laugh a little about that.

Seriously, step back and take a look at other possibilities besides birdshot for self preservation.

I don't know what your gun looks like inside, what parts you have installed, or anything else about it. I do know that I keep mine ready for HD with buckshot.

I also know there are other mods to make it completely reliable without putting on a barrel hood extension.

Haha. In my previous post I said my federal slugs are shorter than the birdshot. I meant I didn't want the slugs to not feed. Make sense? Maybe I worded it weird. I use a mix of slugs and buckshot for home defense. I have polished the bolt and carrier, did the grip conversion, and this is now the only failure I get. I'd like it to run perfectly.

• Like 2

Haha. In my previous post I said my federal slugs are shorter than the birdshot. I meant I didn't want the slugs to not feed. Make sense? Maybe I worded it weird. I use a mix of slugs and buckshot for home defense. I have polished the bolt and carrier, did the grip conversion, and this is now the only failure I get. I'd like it to run perfectly.

No, you worded it correctly, you'll have to forgive some of us, when we see birdshot and HD in the same post we tend to jump to conclusions without comprehending what is being said...

I did that too... just break it down and take it to an auto repair shop and have them tig on a stub ... ugly as can be and grind it to shape with a dremel.. I posted how I did it I will see if I can find the thread...well I looked and it does not show up....

Seriously, it is easy just go for it. Let it be known after I finished I was told it was a magazine issue that could be fixed by shimming the front of the follower...

Edited by negev5021

Would the size of the ports be any issue with this failure?

The size of the ports have everything to do with the system being under-gassed, therefore short cycling. You can simulate that by hand cycling. If you pull the bolt carrier back just behind the rear of the next shell in the magazine and then let go, it likely won't have the momentum to pick up the round and chamber it correctly.

I did that too... just break it down and take it to an auto repair shop and have them tig on a stub ... ugly as can be and grind it to shape with a dremel.. I posted how I did it I will see if I can find the thread...well I looked and it does not show up....

Seriously, it is easy just go for it. Let it be known after I finished I was told it was a magazine issue that could be fixed by shimming the front of the follower...

Auto repair shops are not gunsmiths and are foolish for putting themselves into a situation were they can be charged criminally.

http://atf.gov/firearms/faq/gunsmiths.html

Q: Is a license needed to engage in the business of engraving, customizing, refinishing or repairing firearms?

Yes. A person conducting such activities as a business is considered to be a gunsmith within the definition of a dealer.

[27 CFR 478.11]

Edited by Yeoldetool

I have 3 ports. 1 is half covered by the gas block. I was having all kinds of issues with ftf and fte then I did the polish on the bolt and carrier and this problem stuck around. Mmm... Under gassed. I also have the MD arms 5 position plug. And the CSS gas puck.

No, you worded it correctly, you'll have to forgive some of us, when we see birdshot and HD in the same post we tend to jump to conclusions without comprehending what is being said...

Caged, some us read and comprehend what is written without figuring the writer meant something he didn't say. Nowhere did he say that he fired any slugs or buckshot, or that the gun cycled properly with any ammo. He only said that the slugs were shorter than the bulkpack stuff, and that he was concerned about that.

• Like 1

I have done a hood extension and it is very time consuming to make it look factory. I have higher standards of what will fly and what won't though. If you know an excellent welder, have him do it and take your time reshaping it and polishing it. Be careful to not disturb the angled portion on the right side of the hood. Measure it before you begin, just in case it gets fubar'd. The hood will go to hell in a handbasket in a split second if the amperage is set too high. I hope it goes well for you.

• Like 1

Your diagnosis is correct about the barrel hood. I had the same problem -- did a barrel hood extension and the problem was solved 100%. For a totally reliable gun you want to completely eliminate the possibility of the failure you are experiencing. Test is to take a screwdriver and gently pry up a round and see if it will snag on the hood. If so, the hood is too short. See attached picture. The hood shown is the correct length--Note that there is no way for the round to ever get hung up on the hood. This is not difficult for any competent TIG welder. You don’t need much material added. Then carefully file the angle to match the existing angle on the side of the hood. Key is to keep the same angle on the side of the hood. This angle is what initiates the rotation of the bolt into battery.

post-31037-0-66760700-1328065351_thumb.jpg

post-31037-0-99270000-1328065370_thumb.jpg

Auto repair shops are not gunsmiths and are foolish for putting themselves into a situation were they can be charged criminally.

http://atf.gov/firea.../gunsmiths.html

Q: Is a license needed to engage in the business of engraving, customizing, refinishing or repairing firearms?

Yes. A person conducting such activities as a business is considered to be a gunsmith within the definition of a dealer.

[27 CFR 478.11]

While I tend to agree with you on that, they are not "conducting such activities as a business". I in fact knew the guy at the repair shop, who also milled/drilled my left side charging handle (and is a GM IPSC shooter) a little different than walking in to pep boys or something- so yes, I agree. You do however see people all the time taking thier C3 items to local trophy engravers, who also are not licensed, who do the work in the presence of the owner and do not hold the gun overnight.

Not trying to disagree with your logic. You may find that the gunsmith you take it to will have no more experience in installing an extended barrel hood than you do, and most likely take it to his buddy to TIG up, who happens to own an auto repair shop.

I think the extended barrel hood like Malcolm did is a good idea. Also, there was a post a few months ago showing how the newer S12's had a longer barrel hood.

Most shotgun shells are designed for pump or over/under guns, and the normal auto shotguns like Benelli or Browning etc, have a lifting mechanism that orients the shell at only a slight angle. If there were more mag-fed shotguns in use, then ammo manufacturers would just make the front of the shells more rounded for reliability. There's an idea for a product - round nosed 12 ga ammo.