Ever get bored and sell them off.... just to build another?

I am starting to feel bored with my S12s. Well, all but the M.A.G.12 build. Do any of you ever get bored with your S12 and sell it just so you can build another? I'm coming to realize that I really enjoy shooting these things, but enjoy working on them even more. What I don't understand is that the ones I am thinking of letting go are really nice and it will be a lot of work to build more like them, but I am still considering doing it.... is this normal?

I find myself taking my guns apart and putting them back together for no real reason. A buddy asked me to work on his Ak for him and I damn near grabbed it out of his hands before he was done asking. I'm with you i love shooting them but I love working on them more. I'm selling on of my cars so I'm on the lookout for my next build. grimace.gif

I find myself taking my guns apart and putting them back together for no real reason. A buddy asked me to work on his Ak for him and I damn near grabbed it out of his hands before he was done asking. I'm with you i love shooting them but I love working on them more. I'm selling on of my cars so I'm on the lookout for my next build. grimace.gif

Now that is a great comparison. These things are like Hot Rods. I know a lot of guys that get a car busting ass and get bored with it and start another. I guess I'm there. i should probably get rid of some of these and get an LY6 for my Cadillac Coupe.

Did just that a year ago, never been happier since then. My boss just bought a WASR under-folder, I shot it last night and volunteered to polish up the trigger and internals for him so it will function a bit smoother.

My buddy and I get together and polish various cheap guns that we pick up from people needing money... Our newest project is an Enfield that my buddy picked up for $40. I can't freakin' wait!

• Like 1

I'm looking at the fact that prices are cheap now, I have a few AK100 stock kits laying around, and would like to switch out to nothing but 2011 models. I really just don't feel like doing more barrel hood mods, lol. I've done one and it is a PITA. I'm really liking that extended hood on my only 2011 model and would like more like that.

I don't sell... just buy more to work on. Each one is its own adventure. Some develop over time and others are done at once. Instead of getting bored, I think what else would be cool.

It's a creative habit. Did it years ago with cars too. Saiga's are much cheaper to wrench on and no doubt fun to run.

Acquire and build more.

Edited by NM0
  • Like 2

I am starting to feel bored with my S12s. Well, all but the M.A.G.12 build. Do any of you ever get bored with your S12 and sell it just so you can build another? I'm coming to realize that I really enjoy shooting these things, but enjoy working on them even more. What I don't understand is that the ones I am thinking of letting go are really nice and it will be a lot of work to build more like them, but I am still considering doing it.... is this normal?

I am with you, I enjoy building them a whole lot, you may try branching out and building other guns if you haven't already. Right now I am almost finished building my Saiga-12 race gun for 3 Gun, and have started to gather the parts to build a M-92 on a side folder receiver. If you are bored sell the guns you don't really use that much and buy more, I sold off 4 guns in the last 2-3 weeks to fund new projects. At some point in this hobby the huge gun safe gets to full to even see whats in the back much less take them out and shoot them.

• Like 2

NR,

I could stand a little more room in the safe. I'm running out of creative ways to fit everything in there.

I considered building some AKs from kits, but they don't make good finiancial sense now. I think the thing that I like the most about S12s is making them run well. However, I have reached to the point where there isn't a challenge anymore.

It may sound crazy, but I've been interested in torturing one of these until it has a CF. Not sure why, but I want to know exactly what it will take to fubar one of these.... then hang the inoperable remains on the wall.

• Like 2

You could try your hand at a parts kit build. Not real expensive and very rewarding.

Here are a couple of parts kits I assembled in my garage... a Polish under folder and a Khyber Pass (from Romy G parts) AK with triangle folder:

IMG_1165.jpg

Edited by vicdoc
  • Like 1

NR,

I could stand a little more room in the safe. I'm running out of creative ways to fit everything in there.

I considered building some AKs from kits, but they don't make good finiancial sense now. I think the thing that I like the most about S12s is making them run well. However, I have reached to the point where there isn't a challenge anymore.

It may sound crazy, but I've been interested in torturing one of these until it has a CF. Not sure why, but I want to know exactly what it will take to fubar one of these.... then hang the inoperable remains on the wall.

Gotcha, I don't build anymore standard length AKs, I am only interested in Krinks and the like. Scratching the M92 off my list in the next few weeks, I still want a Krink in 5.56 to go with the others in 5.45 and 7.62, and I want to build an AK105. To be honest if it isn't an SBR or an SBS I really don't want it these days unless it has something to do with 3 Gun. I have really enjoyed building the Saiga 12 race gun but it has been a lot harder than I initially thought, I broke a drill bit, a mill bit and two taps trying to install a left side charging handle on that hard as crap bolt carrier. Once I found the right tap it went smooth as butter but it took a while to get there. I was once where you are now building S12s just to see if I could make them better and more reliable it was a whole lot of fun!

NR,

Gotcha, I don't build anymore standard length AKs, I am only interested in Krinks and the like. Scratching the M92 off my list in the next few weeks, I still want a Krink in 5.56 to go with the others in 5.45 and 7.62, and I want to build an AK105. To be honest if it isn't an SBR or an SBS I really don't want it these days unless it has something to do with 3 Gun. I have really enjoyed building the Saiga 12 race gun but it has been a lot harder than I initially thought, I broke a drill bit, a mill bit and two taps trying to install a left side charging handle on that hard as crap bolt carrier. Once I found the right tap it went smooth as butter but it took a while to get there. I was once where you are now building S12s just to see if I could make them better and more reliable it was a whole lot of fun!

I know what you mean!!

I bought 3 of the russmil 105 FS GB's last year and still have not gotton to it.

Darn s12's / 030's got in the way

SBS SBR's are the bomb

430mm Saiga-12K" version 030-1

post-23663-0-05611300-1329604937_thumb.jpg

Edited by RamLake

NR,

All of my AKs are 107URs now. I don't have any interest in 5.45 or 5.56 Kalashnikovs. If I had jumped on the 5.45 bandwagon right when the floodgates opened, I would probably be into them, but now mags are going up and parts kits are drying up or just too expensive. I am waiting on 3 more stamps to finish a couple SBRs and an SBS. I was just wondering today how long it will be before I have more NFA items than non-NFA. The waiting drives me nuts though....

NR,

All of my AKs are 107URs now. I don't have any interest in 5.45 or 5.56 Kalashnikovs. If I had jumped on the 5.45 bandwagon right when the floodgates opened, I would probably be into them, but now mags are going up and parts kits are drying up or just too expensive. I am waiting on 3 more stamps to finish a couple SBRs and an SBS. I was just wondering today how long it will be before I have more NFA items than non-NFA. The waiting drives me nuts though....

If you submit enough from 4 / 1's the waiting becomes blurred as they come in every other month or so big_smile.gif

• Like 1

NR,

If you submit enough from 4 / 1's the waiting becomes blurred as they come in every other month or so big_smile.gif

Not that is a great idea. If I send off a couple every month, I could get one every two weeks after a while.

WHEW!!! Was beginning to think that I was the only one!! LOL I'm the same way..love building them, love workin on them, and there is no end to folks who will "let you play with their AK's) once they see what you've done from scratch! I just put in an order for the majority of my S-12 build. Got the Fed refund in the bank and payed the taxes off, and my wife said ' BOUT TIME YOU PLACED AN ORDER, ISN'T IT?

I hooked up with Greg...AGAIN, and ordered all but the Quad rail and the shroud...that will be next month....can't wait till monday or tue.

WHEW!!! Was beginning to think that I was the only one!! LOL I'm the same way..love building them, love workin on them, and there is no end to folks who will "let you play with their AK's) once they see what you've done from scratch! I just put in an order for the majority of my S-12 build. Got the Fed refund in the bank and payed the taxes off, and my wife said ' BOUT TIME YOU PLACED AN ORDER, ISN'T IT?

I hooked up with Greg...AGAIN, and ordered all but the Quad rail and the shroud...that will be next month....can't wait till monday or tue.

Enjoy that money. I pay all year and again at the beginning of the next year. Depressing....

I would blow the whole damn check on gun stuff anyways.... if I got one ;)

Your wife is a keeper. I'm lucky like that too.

• Like 1

Evl,

If you haven't already, do a search for "store more guns". Their rifle rods and handgun hangers are great. Whatever size safe you have, these will allow you to add about another third again the amount of guns.

I will check it out now. I appreciate it.

ETA: I just looked. That would help with row at the door, but that's all. I already have them in there in alternating rows of muzzle up and muzzle down, and it is tight. Short of actually hanging them from the top, I'm not going to gain any room. That's it.... I need another safe. I've decided to keep everything that I have right now and just add more when I'm not so broke. LOL! May be a while.... things have been "ass in hand" lately.

Edited by evlblkwpnz
  • Like 2

you could always start doing charity work biggrin.png

I'm responsible for 2 friends having ARs that would otherwise have never been able to afford one, but dudes are on their own as far as Saiga 12s go, lol! It is kind of nice to be the only person around here shooting a badass stupid-reliable Saiga 12. Never know though, someday bI might be in the position to give one away for one reason or another.

• Like 1