I've been the the rifle/shotgun (saiga's mostly) game for awhile now but decieded that due to the nature of self defese a handgun is needful thing. I'm really wanting a .40 S&W but that's not set in stone.

i know alot of people say Glock 22/23 but are there any other Balls Dead reliable .40 S&W handguns? and or really awesone non .40's

for awhile i was thinking of getting a .357 magnum revolver but then figured i'd might as well get a wheellock pistol

Edited by Joebanks

Get a gun you can and will carry every day everywhere you go without anyone noticing it. Larger calibers are nice, but the .45 you left in the safe because you didn't think it would conceal isn't a very effective self-defense tool.

You have to be confident that it will go bang when you need it to and that you can hit with it. And if you operate in a non-permisive enviroment, that you won't be ID'd. Otherwise you won't carry it.

What caliber, brand, model are not that important. Lots of people have been killed by .22, .32, .38, .380s, 9mm. (Ok, you should probably skip .25 cal, they really do seem to suck). Little guns might not be as effective as a .40 or .357, but if that as big as you can get away with it is what you should get and carry. And the statistics show that little guns are not hugely less effective then .45 or .40s.

• Like 2

Glocks are fine, I usually carry a model 23. I also sometimes carry an H&K USP (full size, in .40). A compact USP in 9mm or .40 would probably be a pretty nice carry pistol.

The USP series are great for ease of racking the slide - thanks to the two-spring crazy recoil system, the pressure needed to draw back the slide is very low for most of the stroke, and extremely difficult for the last several millimeters. It's a little thing, but it's convenient.

With modern ammo the differences in performance of the major pistol calibers effectiveness is very little. The only real benefit of a 40 or 45 is certain loads are better at penetrating auto glass than 9mm. Pistols require alot of shooting 9mm is WAY cheaper than 40 for training.

l'd recommend a gen 3 glock 19, SW MP9, HKs are good but pricey, Sig also has some ok pistols but DA/SA is harder to learn.

• Like 1

Joe,

Not sure where your at, but go find a range or shop that you can try out pistols. Even if you have drive a ways to get there. The reason I suggest this is each manufacturer has different quirks in their designs. I do not use Glocks because they just don't feel right in my hand when shooting. My preference is Springfield XD, fits me better. Have shot HK's and Sigs, both are pretty comfortable. I also carry a Ruger LCP, easy to conceal but not very comfortable to shoot.

All of them go bang, but as Kevin said: If your not happy in anyway it becomes a safe dweller.

So go do some testing

2c.gif

• Like 1

regardless of what you choose, i try to carry the heaviest bullets i can in any gun im carrying. its usually .40 or .45

FNH, HK, and Sig all make a weapon that you can trust your life with. theres a lot of options out there, but a lot of it depends on what your willing to spend.

I do not use Glocks because they just don't feel right in my hand when shooting. My preference is Springfield XD, fits me better. I also carry a Ruger LCP, easy to conceal but not very comfortable to shoot.

Ditto on almost all of this. I don't like the grips on Glocks, and my XD9 service fits my hands really well. But honestly, it's a little big for me to want to carry unless I'm wearing a winter jacket. It lives mostly in my car or on my night stand.

I carry a 9x18 Polish p64. Also easy to carry (small but a little heavy) but a little punishing to shoot. The DA/SA also makes me feel a little less likely to blow my balls off.

Bigger bullets are better, but I still prefer the capacity and price of 9mm.

But as was stated before, I'd want to get my hands on anything I planned on carrying and see how it fits with my build, clothing, and carry style before purchasing.

Edited by Dudethebagman

FNP-9 is my daily carry pistol. It's what I liked the best after shopping around. I suggest handling and shooting (if possible) several pistols to find the right fit for you. I also like a 1911 but prefer DA/SA.

• Like 1

FNP-9 is my daily carry pistol. It's what I liked the best after shopping around. I suggest handling and shooting (if possible) several pistols to find the right fit for you. I also like a 1911 but prefer DA/SA.

FN's are great guns. kinda like hidden jewels. they seem to get overlooked a lot.

I don’t believe there is 1 answer for the question. What works in Miami Beach, FL might not be worth a damn in Nome, AK while at the same time concealing a S&W 29 might be tough to do in swimwear.

On the other hand maybe I should say the one I have on me right now is the f*cking best so don’t even think about f*cking with me. haha.gif

Edited by 20-Mags

There is NO "best" there is only what BEST fits you!. H&K, Glock, M&P, SIG, Beretta, Walther PPQ ...all make good handguns. If you want to carry it you have to see what best suits you in the manner that you will carry. IWB or OWB. How well can you conceal it? What do you consider bulky or heavy. Also a lot of weight and bulkiness perception has to do with your holster, belt and pants/jeans. Whatever you do dont cheap out on a quality holster and belt. They go a long way in making you comfortable. If you're going to carry IWB you'll need pants that are about one size larger or at least loose by a few inches. I carry IWB and found that FOR ME it is more comfortable to carry a heavy but thinner gun vs a bulkier but lighter one.

What is your budget? SIGS and H&K tend to cost a lot more then others. Their mags also tend to cost a lot more. If finish wear is no a big deal to you you can look into Police trade ins. You can pick up a police G19 or 17 for around $350 and some already come with night sights. Police M&Ps are now starting to hit the market as well. If polymer is not your thing and you prefer steel guns Berettas are alright as well as the now out of production G3 steel S&Ws. These usually go by four digit numbers, such as 4006, 5906, 4506. They are some of the longest running semi autos in police use. Back when revolvers were the shit some departments were switching over to the S&W59 (back in the late 50's) By 3rd Gen all the bugs were worked out and what you have is a tank of a gun. I carry the 5946. Its the DAO and weights in at 40oz unloaded, thats double the weight of a G17 but like I said FOR ME the weight is less of an issue then the thickness.

If youre friends have a handgun you were thinking of purchasing see if they will let you carry it (unloaded) around their house when you come over. This way you'll at least get an idea of what it feels like without having to spend hundred of dollars to find out you dont like it

• Like 2

I love my Ruger LCR (smaller of 2 in pic) in .357

Great grip, great caliber, perfect size for front pocket carry in an Uncle Mikes holster

EDIT: concealed hammer and I added night sights

post-22193-0-56475200-1331213874_thumb.jpg

Edited by Saiga Power

Get a gun you can and will carry every day everywhere you go without anyone noticing it. Larger calibers are nice, but the .45 you left in the safe because you didn't think it would conceal isn't a very effective self-defense tool.

You have to be confident that it will go bang when you need it to and that you can hit with it. And if you operate in a non-permisive enviroment, that you won't be ID'd. Otherwise you won't carry it.

What caliber, brand, model are not that important. Lots of people have been killed by .22, .32, .38, .380s, 9mm. (Ok, you should probably skip .25 cal, they really do seem to suck). Little guns might not be as effective as a .40 or .357, but if that as big as you can get away with it is what you should get and carry. And the statistics show that little guns are not hugely less effective then .45 or .40s.

A .25 in your pocket is a hell of a lot better than a .45 in your gun safe. Whatever gun that you WILL carry is a good one.

A big macho gun that impresses your buddies, but weighs as much as brick and is almost as easy to carry as one is worthless because it WILL spend more time in the safe than on your person.

I speak from real world experience. A .25 has saved my ass more than once. Never had to shoot it, but "the boys in the hood" have a different attitude when the hand that you wave at them has a palm full of DO NO FUCK WITH ME.

• Like 3

Whatever you feel comfortable with is the best carry gun.

If it's not comfy you may not carry it, and if you're not carrying it, you won't have it when you need it.

The above is the best answer, period.

Guys that go down the ammunition cailber trail, crack the hell out of me.

bad_egg.gif

• Like 1

The answer to this question is going to vary from person to person. What works for me, might not work for you.

I carry a G19 every day.

My reasons?

-Capacity (15+1 rounds)

-Modern quality 9mm SD ammo makes the caliber debate a non-issue

-Price (Most anyone can afford a Glock, and if you actually have to use it, you're only out a $500 gun)

-Size (It's what I consider to be the perfect size between easily-concealed and big-enough-to-shoot-effectively)

-Reliability (A tad over 1K rounds and it hasn't had a hiccup yet, and this includes everything from shitty steel cased, up to my carry ammo)

-Holster availability (every single holster maker I've ever seen, makes holsters for Glocks)

YMMV

Yeah, the season and what you wear to work influence this decision.

I carry a Glock 27 on my ankle since I have to wear business clothing to work and in the summer I won't be wearing a jacket in 110+ degree heat. If you wear loose fitting slacks or jeans access is easy enough and nobody really notices it unless they are really looking for it.

Most uber-concealable guns are not fun to shoot because they are snappy and not very accurate, but they are the best option for T-Shirt and Shorts. I have a Taurus TCP for these occasions and for when I just head out quickly and throw it in a pocket.

I would recommend getting a compact polymer gun from a reputable company (like Glock, XD, HK, M&P, Beretta, FN, Sig, Walther) and a super small carry gun (KelTec, LCP, TCP type) so you have the most carry options.

Edited by BuffetDestroyer

i still carry my desert eagle chambered in .50 from time to time. i used to carry it a lot, but i got sick of having to "gear up" daily to wear the damn thing. i picked up a pair of low profile suspenders to compliment it, because when i wore it with a regular belt it would give me a bad case of plumbers ass. but now i have a shoulder rig for it so its no where near as bad.

i dont carry as much anymore mainly because its way to much power. sure the bad guy will have a bad day, but so will someone innocent 20ft behind him or worse. but on the days i do carry it, i get some pretty odd looks. 000.gif

but like stated, answers here will vary greatly. go with what you like!

FN's are great guns. kinda like hidden jewels. they seem to get overlooked a lot.

Yeah they do, on both. The Colt New Agent is an extremely carry friendly pistol. It has that slim figure and come in both 9mm and .45. I have the .45. Recoil is very manageable and you get used to the low profile trench sight after just a few rounds. After that it's easy point and shoot.

Wifey traded her S&W Airweight 442 .38 for a Taurus Judge Public Defender 45lc/.410 tonight.

She hated shooting the light frame .38. Said it hurt her hand.

She tried all kinds of loads and grips. She was never happy with it.

She shot the Judge and really liked it. It is not that much bigger in her purse. The heavier frame makes recoil manageable for her.

She said she feels safer now because she LIKES to shoot the Judge.

I guess what I am trying to say after all this is find something you like. And when you do, carry it.

My OL carries a LCR in 38

I carry a G22

My Son will carry a G23

Find you an instructor that will let you shoot differnt handguns.

Get one you like, shoot it A LOT BEFORE you buy it.

My $0.02

really really fond of the Colt Gvt 380 in stainless for everyday carry with some good hollow points, I own 14 pistols... this is the only one I have no trouble carrying all day every day everywhere... its not the mustang, actual Gvt model, big enough to fill a hand, 7+1, small enough to hide NP... just a great all around little piece, and don't let anyone tell ya a 380 can't get the job done....

Edited by datrowl

Almost my exact thoughts.

What works for me is a Kel-Tec PF9 mostly because it runs 9mm in pretty much the smallest package available. It works well with a "Packin Tee" t-shirt, IWB, pants or jacket pocket. Not fun to shoot but that isn't what it was designed for. Accuracy is plenty good enough for any range you will realistically need.

These are always a situation where everyone is right. I carried several semi autos and finally went back to a revolver. So much easier for Me to conceal, I find more comfortable, and always goes boom. Not to mention 1500fps rounds.

2c.gif

post-8269-0-55494300-1331263839_thumb.jpgpost-8269-0-55494300-1331263839_thumb.jpgI carry an XD-40 subcompact that I can shoot the ass off of a flea with any ammo I've used with it for the past 4 years at 50' away all day long. I've never had a jam in the 1k+ rounds I've ran through her. I have Trijicon sites front and rear, an intregrated pulsating LaserLyte takedown lever laser, and a bright rail mounted mini flashlight that lights up a two car garage nicely. I carry the smaller mag in it daily. At night, I throw on the mini light before I hit the rack. It holds 9+1 on the small magazine, and turns it into a full sized pistol with the 12+1 magazine. I also have two 20 round mags for it, just in case. The pulsating laser built into the take down lever is a real bonus. Within 50', the rounds hit within an inch of the beam. I use a leather clip holster that I carry on my belt cross draw style. The clip holster allows me to carry on the small of my back, if I wanted, or on my shooting hand side. In my opinion, this set up is the only way to go, for me, that is. Edited by fffpatriot

Not a damn thing wrong with a .357 revolver! I think a revolver is the best, most reliable carry weapon you can have. What if you are jumped with out warning? You pull your semi-auto, but the assailant grabs it, pointing it away, you fire, but the weapon will not cycle another round if he has grabbed the slide, preventing the next round from being loaded. Do you think he will give you a "Time-out" while you eject the spent shell and manually rack another one in there?

Hard to mess up with a revolver. It won't jam, and 5 or 6 shots is plenty for self defense. Reality is Much different than the films...when a gun goes BANG...Mother Fuckers RUN!!

Not a damn thing wrong with a .357 revolver! I think a revolver is the best, most reliable carry weapon you can have. What if you are jumped with out warning? You pull your semi-auto, but the assailant grabs it, pointing it away, you fire, but the weapon will not cycle another round if he has grabbed the slide, preventing the next round from being loaded. Do you think he will give you a "Time-out" while you eject the spent shell and manually rack another one in there?

Hard to mess up with a revolver. It won't jam, and 5 or 6 shots is plenty for self defense. Reality is Much different than the films...when a gun goes BANG...Mother Fuckers RUN!!

I tend to agree........people that aren't used to the up-close discharge of a firearm will shit and split.

I hate these threads...but they never go away, so I guess I better just get used to them.

There is no "right" pistol for you to carry, at least not one that anyone else can tell you. Your reasons to carry, and your abilities are yours and yours alone. Only you can decide what works for you.

I have huge hands, and arthritis, so what I carry might not work for you. Little pistols like the LCP and Keltec disappear in my hand, and I can't handle them reliably, so they are out of consideration. A few years ago I was in a local sporting goods store and picked up a SW40VE Sigma because there was a rebate on them at the time and I wanted to try out the .40 caliber. It ended up being my every day carry for the past couple of years, because it was reliable, ate every type of ammo that I threw it in, and was accurate and comfortable for me to shoot. I shoot it at least once a month, probably have around 2500 rounds through it without a single hiccup, whether brass, steel, FMJ, JHP.

That being said, I just changed my carry gun last weekend to a Ruger P95 for several reasons. As I said, I have a touch of arthritis in my hands and the .40 was just a bit too much for me to enjoy shooting a lot anymore, plus the .40 is a bit more expensice to shoot. I get one more round in the 9mm and it's easier on me. It also has a second strike capability, not that I ever had any problems in the .40 as I shoot only certain brands of ammo in it, it's just something that's nice to have. The SA/DA is much more accurate for me especially on followup shots. It is a couple of ounces heavier but not all that much.

Would I like another handgun even better? Possibly, I was fondling an FNP the other day that really really felt good in my hand...so many guns, so little money.

It all boils down to what you like and enjoy shooting, and are accurate with. Hopefully you find something, a good bet would be to find a shooting range that also rents pistols so you can try them out. Either that or start making new friends that own assorted pistols!