S308 felt recoil

How is the felt recoil of 308? I've never shot it before, but I'm considereing a S308 for my next conversion. I can shoot 7.62x39 all day with no repercussions afterwards. Now with 7.62x54r and especially 30-06, I'm done after about 10-15 rounds, and I'm feeling it the next day. I do have rotator cuff issues from time to time, but I guess I'm a wimp when it comes to the heavy hitters.

Also, how easy is it to get back on target for follow up shots? I'm not looking to mag dump, but how controllable is it if you do?

Also, how easy is it to get back on target for follow up shots? I'm not looking to mag dump, but how controllable is it if you do?

It helps to have a Battlecomp or something like it. Lots of muzzle rise otherwise.

The recoil is not like a Mosin, but I would think with rotator cuff issues you might want to stick to lesser calibers.

Bolt guns tend to hit the shoulder more sharply than semis, and the .308 Saiga isn't an especially hard-kicking semi. If you've ever shot a Garand, I'd liken the Saiga's recoil to that: it lets you know it's there, but it's still pretty comfy.

Edited by DrThunder88

Last I knew... Enidine buffers were for AR15's... as they go into the buffer tube and replace the buffer that would normally be in there...

Didnt know they made one for an AK platform... They do make something that mounts on the back end of a stock... but for the "over 2 bills" pricetag... It seems a BIT STEEP for a S-308 whgich has minimal recoil from the get go... unsure.png

The little rubber ones that you stick inside the action that mount over the recoil spring are not going to do much for you...

000.gif

I shoot mine without any worries at all. But I AM a Manly-Man! 150lbs of Twisted steel Sex-appeal! Haha!

Mine even has a romanian wire folder, so no padding at all.

The S-308 is a pleasure to shoot.

post-16191-0-74347100-1335988459_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I shoot mine without any worries at all. But I AM a Manly-Man! 150lbs of Twisted steel Sex-appeal! Haha!

How long have you had the wire folder on there? (Wondering if it will take the 308 recoil without eventually disassembling itself.

Get a brake for the rise if nothing else, with a good brake the recoil feels between a 223 and a 39R.

Seriously...no exagerating? If this is true, I'm sold.

RobRez....I have tears welling up in my eyes looking at that S308 with wire folder.

Get a brake for the rise if nothing else, with a good brake the recoil feels between a 223 and a 39R.

I'll vouch for that. I have a JP Large Tactical Compensator and that's exactly what I said after firing it.

It aint bad at all, the report is another story,

Wear ear covers, a brake makes the report worse.

Huh?

I'll vouch for that. I have a JP Large Tactical Compensator and that's exactly what I said after firing it.

It aint bad at all, the report is another story,

Wear ear covers, a brake makes the report worse.

Huh?

Good brakes are well worth the money. Cant say you can get good results with cheap ones.

THe brake will direct the sound to the sides instead of the front so the shot sounds louder.

I think that joke would have worked better in person, Tim. Still, I enjoyed it!

I agree but it was all I had to work with. In writing, it could be taken a couple of different ways.

Well I am a dumb ass, i dont see the joke, much less get "it".beaten.gif

Basically I was just implying that it was too late for me to wear hearing protection. The damage was already done.

In writing though, it could be misconstrued as me finding his statement baffling or incredulous.

I promise to attempt a better joke the next time I feel the need.big_smile.gif

• 1 month later...

That is one sweet looking rig!! It may be because I have big hands, but I have a hard time using a stock AK PG on a small Saiga, I bet on the 308, it would be tough! I am in love with this setup though! If I can ever scrape up the money for a 16"er , I will definitely be getting a wire folder! Edited by unclejake

THe brake will direct the sound to the sides instead of the front so the shot sounds louder.

MUCH louder. The 308 Saiga's already come with a buffer on the recoil rod assy, but it's metal. I removed it & use a Buffer Tech unit. GARY N4KVE

That is one sweet looking rig!! It may be because I have big hands, but I have a hard time using a stock AK PG on a small Saiga, I bet on the 308, it would be tough! I am in love with this setup though! If I can ever scrape up the money for a 16"er , I will definitely be getting a wire folder!

That is cool! Also, Apex gun parts has a nice looking recoil pad for that stock!

What brake is that you are using?

• 3 weeks later...

Use a good soft slip on but-pad. Not as hard as a Mosin, but noticeably harder than X-39.

What about an Enidine buffer? Someone on here has been singing their praises, I forgot who.

I've got an Enidine Shot Shock that I use on my S-308. It works quite well, making the recoil a little lighter than a solid-stocked x39. I chose to tame the recoil, (which isn't bad to begin with, but the less the better for longer-range shooting), this way so I could put a dedicated FH on the barrel rather than a brake.