"Unconverting" a converted Saiga-12 trigger assembly

So, I've been getting my Saiga 12 ready for a new Kushnapup stock, and for that to happen, I need to have a the original factory trigger group installed.

I've still got all the parts, but I'm running into a hiccup because I had to drill out the original rivets that they were mounted on for the original conversion.

Does anyone have a suggestion on where I could get some sort of replacement for those rivets? Ideally something that I can install/remove with hand tools in case I want to re-convert it to the pistol grip?

Seems like I'd just need some sort of bolt in the right diameter and length, no?

Hm, that's an interesting thought, and one I hadn't considered.

But truth be told, I like my gun, and I kinda want to keep it - I've done all the work myself, and I know it works.

Also, I would like to keep the ability to switch from converted to non-converted, so I think this is worth the hunt - for me anyways.

Off to the hardware store!

You're going to unconvert your S-12 just so you can put a Kushnacrap on it?

Good Lord... that's just so damned wrong.

It's your gun, but you're seriously offending the AK Gods here. wink.png

If you must use that fugly bullpup shell, I think you should sell your current S-12, instead of re-fucking it with the "sporter" trigger group, and use the money to buy a new sporter to inflict that thing on. That way someone else will get to enjoy your S-12 in it's current, proper configuration. biggrin.png

Edited by post-apocalyptic
  • Like 3

According to the Kushnapup website, under the FAQ customizing section, you should be able to use the Kushnapup stock just by trimming away some plastic. Here is the exact quote:

Can Kushnapup work with a pistol grip converted Saiga-12?

Primarily the stock is only designed specifically for the generic affordable Saiga import. Our stocks for the pistol grip modified saiga require trimming away a slight amount of plastic on the inside for it to function correctly.

Well, it turns out that chicago screws simply don't commercially exist in any size smaller that 3/16" (or at least, not that I can find). Possible market there if someone wants to make a few thousand custom - but I'm not doing it. I've got some other ideas on possible solutions though, and I've got some stuff in the mail. Once it gets here, we'll see if it works.

Also, comments:

If you must use that fugly bullpup shell, I think you should sell your current S-12, instead of re-fucking it with the "sporter" trigger group, and use the money to buy a new sporter to inflict that thing on. That way someone else will get to enjoy your S-12 in it's current, proper configuration. biggrin.png

Clearly you are a well-adjusted gentleman with no particular opinions on this matter, and I find your contributions to this discussion to be very well taken! In all seriousness though, I do like the look of the bullpup shell, and I think it is a very functional device - at least in theory. Assuming that I can get it to actually work we'll see how it is for functionality, as I will admit that I have some concerns about the trigger pull and trigger linkage.

Don't get me wrong, I like the converted setup as well, and that is one of the main reasons that I want to be able to switch back and forth between the two.

Also, you live in Colorado? so do I! Perhaps we should head out to the range sometime - clearly you have quite a bit of experience, and I'm new so it could be fun. I can even convert my Saiga into a normal configuration so it doesn't offend your sensibilities.

According to the Kushnapup website, under the FAQ customizing section, you should be able to use the Kushnapup stock just by trimming away some plastic. Here is the exact quote:

Can Kushnapup work with a pistol grip converted Saiga-12?

Primarily the stock is only designed specifically for the generic affordable Saiga import. Our stocks for the pistol grip modified saiga require trimming away a slight amount of plastic on the inside for it to function correctly.

Yeah, I saw that too, but I think this is some mis-understandings going on there, because when I look at it, I can't imagine how that would possibly work in the standard setup. At least, not on mine.

Clearly you are a well-adjusted gentleman with no particular opinions on this matter, and I find your contributions to this discussion to be very well taken! In all seriousness though, I do like the look of the bullpup shell, and I think it is a very functional device - at least in theory. Assuming that I can get it to actually work we'll see how it is for functionality, as I will admit that I have some concerns about the trigger pull and trigger linkage.

Don't get me wrong, I like the converted setup as well, and that is one of the main reasons that I want to be able to switch back and forth between the two.

Also, you live in Colorado? so do I! Perhaps we should head out to the range sometime - clearly you have quite a bit of experience, and I'm new so it could be fun. I can even convert my Saiga into a normal configuration so it doesn't offend your sensibilities.

As I said, it is your gun, and I may not like the Kushnapoop, but it does seem to appeal to many others, for some reason. I just think it'd be wrong to undo the conversion for the express purpose of using one.. but as others pointed out, it can be made to work with a converted S-12. So, if you must use one, I recommend that. Then, when it inevitably disappoints you, you can remove it and the gun will be ready for proper AK furniture again! :D

I do live in CO, for the moment on the western slope. I'm guessing you're Front Range?

I went through the same thing. I kept the original pins (not sure why), using a TIG welder and just welded over the ends, ground flush and painted.

If you didn't save the OEM pins, measure the i.d. in the trigger, try to find bare rod and then weld both ends or just get some 3/16 rod stock then drill out the trigger.

I thoroughly enjoy my Kushnapup/Saiga conversion...don't listen to the naysayers, it's your gun....do what you want!